Thread: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, Blue Ridge Pearl, 2 door, 5 MT

2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, Blue Ridge Pearl, 2 door, 5 MT

This is my car at the beginning of my project. Currently it is bone stock other than WRX front seats, WRX Momo steering wheel, SPT short throw shifter.

DSC02798.jpgDSC02779.jpgDSC02791.jpg
    - Steven
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, Blue Ridge Pearl
    2008 Honda Civic Si, Nighthawk Black Pearl

Very nice 2.5rs! I love seeing it all muddy in your sig
    David - My 2004 STi

"I guess if your car has a STi, it will turn you lug nuts green" - R U Faster Than A Redneck

What a damn sexy car. Love that color and the 6 spoke wheels. I've always wanted one exactly like that. Where did you find it? Tell us more about it.

And the deep blue pattern on the Wrx seats actually goes really well with that exterior color.

Again, sweet sweet car.

Thank you for kind words.
    Well it took a long time to find it. The only way to get one at a reasonable price is to buy it as soon as it posts on Autotrader. I have been shopping for about 2 years now. I finally got it last weekend. I took a bus trip up to Michigan after buying it with my credit card. It has a little high miles (172,000), but the engine and tranny have both been rebuilt. It runs very well. In the rebuild the dealer installed a twin plate semi-racing clutch. I also had the dealer paint the front/rear bumper covers, mirrors, hood/scoop, and the trunk/spoiler. The body is in great condition. These are the factory wheels it came with (16s). I really like them and they work very well for SCCA racing and any rally cross. I will probably pick up some street rims for daily driving. Honestly I have a great car to drive everyday, but I can't let this one just sit in my garage (Screw the 08' Honda Si. lol) this one beats it hands down. So far only flaws I have with it are the suspension and rear end (possibly rear diff). I am on the look out for a good suspension. I am not concerned with lowering it. I just like something that handles well. This car originally comes from PA and came with a really cool feature. Instead of the 3 gauge pod in the center counsel it came with the digital display that is a compass, barometer, altimeter, and outside temp display. Kinda cool to have. My last one had a 3 gauge cluster and that was great. More than likely when it gets turbocharged I will run A-pillar gauges so I can keep the digital display. My overall goal for this car is to convert it to an WRX STi VI, 22B, or a P1. Honestly those conversions will depend on available parts. I noticed that there are a few people that get together on this site. I can't wait to go to a meet and show it off. I drive it to Fort Riley during the week. Here is a pic of it and another Subie I saw at work.

DSC02801.jpg
    - Steven

I can't wait to see this one in person sometime.

A couple years ago there was one just like this for sale near davenport, Ia. It had less than 50k miles on it since the owner injured his leg and no longer could drive a manual. That's what hey told me when I called about it. The day it was posted on craigslist I was too busy to go look at it and when I called later to see if it was still available they told me it sold within hours.

Someone got an insane deal on a super clean 00 2.5rs.

Yeah that was the same problem I continued to have. I would call and just hours after they posted the cars online they would be sold. Over the last two years. I have driven to Denver, Whichita, and St. Louis trying to buy one.
    - Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Drpage420 View Post
    Thank you for kind words.
    Well it took a long time to find it. The only way to get one at a reasonable price is to buy it as soon as it posts on Autotrader. I have been shopping for about 2 years now. I finally got it last weekend. I took a bus trip up to Michigan after buying it with my credit card. It has a little high miles (172,000), but the engine and tranny have both been rebuilt. It runs very well. In the rebuild the dealer installed a twin plate semi-racing clutch. I also had the dealer paint the front/rear bumper covers, mirrors, hood/scoop, and the trunk/spoiler. The body is in great condition. These are the factory wheels it came with (16s). I really like them and they work very well for SCCA racing and any rally cross. I will probably pick up some street rims for daily driving. Honestly I have a great car to drive everyday, but I can't let this one just sit in my garage (Screw the 08' Honda Si. lol) this one beats it hands down. So far only flaws I have with it are the suspension and rear end (possibly rear diff). I am on the look out for a good suspension. I am not concerned with lowering it. I just like something that handles well. This car originally comes from PA and came with a really cool feature. Instead of the 3 gauge pod in the center counsel it came with the digital display that is a compass, barometer, altimeter, and outside temp display. Kinda cool to have. My last one had a 3 gauge cluster and that was great. More than likely when it gets turbocharged I will run A-pillar gauges so I can keep the digital display. My overall goal for this car is to convert it to an WRX STi VI, 22B, or a P1. Honestly those conversions will depend on available parts. I noticed that there are a few people that get together on this site. I can't wait to go to a meet and show it off. I drive it to Fort Riley during the week. Here is a pic of it and another Subie I saw at work.

DSC02801.jpg
    I hope you can do the body work yourself if you're planning on going wide body. A good install and paint will run steep at a reputable shop (easily over $10k).

For the suspension, you may want to check your struts soon. Mine had 172k as well when I upgraded and the struts were completely shot to hell and back (it was running on springs alone). Also, good sway bars will go a long way--the stock ones are twigs on these car. The fender cowl braces from turn in concepts are a good, cheap upgrade that really help stiffen up the chassis (http://turninconcepts.com/index.php?...1496_1502_1520). Some other things you may consider with the mileage it's at is to replace the control arm bushings and ball joints with whiteline goodies (anti lift kit and roll center adjust). Mine were as good as dead when I replaced them.

Good luck with it. Looks like the body is in awesome shape, and that's the most important part if you're planning on doing a project out of it.

Thank you for the insight Mark. I understand the prices of making it a wide-body. Honestly I simply can't afford to transform it into anything more than a STi VI for now. Good call with the bushing and ball joint replacement. Is there any other bushing or grommets that you recommend replacing. I might as well order them now so they are on hand when I get a new suspension. $95 is a great price for the chassis braces. Do you have recommendations for a strong sway bar. I had mine snap on a rally race with my last car. I learned the hard lesson of buying parts off Ebay. I have not used an anti-lift kit before, honestly I thought those just lowered factory suspension and did not improve handling. Do you have experience in using them? This car will be staying on road courses for the most part. Thanks for your advise on this.
    - Steven

Whiteline is what I used for the most part. The cheapest place to get their products is captwholesale.com (captwholesale has a pretty crappy search, so you'll have to get the part numbers from the whiteline website). The anti-lift kit is a different bushing/bracket for your front control arms, so it doesn't change ride height. Helps with grip through cornering and reduces understeer. The roll center adjust replaces your ball joints and tie rod ends. The whiteline goodies are all just a bit more expensive than what you'd pay straight from Subaru, so it just makes sense to replace it with better performing parts.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...=4%2F93-9%2F00

http://captwholesale.com/

You could probably use some new steering rack bushings. Here's a list of what I got:

http://captwholesale.com/whiteline/w.../i-444563.aspx
    http://captwholesale.com/whiteline/w.../i-444647.aspx
    http://captwholesale.com/whiteline/w.../i-444007.aspx
    http://captwholesale.com/whiteline/w.../i-444303.aspx

They have whiteline sway bars on there as well for a good price. Just have to decide what thickness you want. I used kartboy sway bar endlinks that I ordered straight from their website.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to do a turbo engine swap down the road (ej205, ej207, ej255, ej257), you'll have to replace the engine crossmember, so part compatibility would be different from your current crossmember (a turbo crossmember is going to need a turbo front sway bar). I have an 04 wrx crossmember in mine, so I had to get some of these parts specifically for a GD chassis (so double check part compatibility for what you want). Some of the stuff will fit on everything 93-07.

Any updates on this beast? Please post more pics. I want your car.