Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1948 Indian Chief Project

1948 Indian Chief Project

First A little info on this project.
    This bike belongs to a friend of my dads and has been sitting for 20+ years. Since we have a shop he wanted to atleast get it looking good again. We knew this was going to be a major chore and that alot of parts were missing. Just about every where started working, there were bolts, gaskets, and special parts missing that we needed before we even thought about assembling. Now the guy doesnt have much money so we do what we can when he has us order parts, but we are getting a 1978 shovelhead chopper as payment for the labor. Its been a very very slow build but we are finally about to turn it over back to the guy. Its been a huge learning experience because these are nothing like harleys and everything is very expensive. These bikes in decent condition sell for $20k+ easily, so you can imagine what its like finding parts and handling them.

Now to the sad part. Because there isnt much money in this build and with the condition of motor it will not be driveable. :tear: The engine will need to be bored due to rust pits from sitting so long. And not to mention all the parts that are still missing. But, as time goes hopefully we can get it back and continue the work. But for now it is just going to be a show piece in the guys back room.

On to the pics.

Just got it in and on the table.

Condition of the engine

The fenders and tanks are in surprisingly good shape. No dents, rust, knicks, nothing.

Cleaning up the heads. They were pretty burnt.

Fresh engine paint.

Freeing up the transmission. It was locked up but we got it spinning and shifting and installed new shims, etc....

Shined up the front end. Chrome polish and 0000 go a long way.

Engine/tranny installed and the rear wheel put on. Along with the frame freshly touched up from the old 20 year black paint.

Now im missing some progress pictures, i believe they are on my previous phone.

What it looks like now. We are going to hand it over this weekend possibly with just some lights hooked up. There is still alot of work and alot of parts to buy to make this thing ride-able.

#1 Top poster 19k and still posting
    The Official KCSubaru Ninja

Loadin' up the choppers like its December 31st
    Dude that is sweet. I'm jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    Within the first minute, I saw a guy with Oakley Gascans and a significant tribal tattoo. X'd out.

:fap:

my mom's boyfriend has a newer Indian, it's killer.
    Caleb
    Tornado Red 2004.5 VW Jetta GLI
    Passion Red 2005 Volvo S60 R - SOLD
    Black 2005 SRT-4 ACR- 404hp/400tq MKC Tuned - SOLD
    SS 2002 Honda S2000 - Sold
    PSM 2003 WRX- 245hp/242tq @MKC Dyno Day - Sold
    My wife is part bloodhound and can smell a fart from a house away

Quote Originally Posted by TunedAlready02 View Post
    Dude that is sweet. I'm jealous.
    Its definitely a bitter sweet project. I love looking at the thing every time we work on it but its just sad that we cant dump money into it to get in on the road.

The 1978 Shovel head chopper we are getting in trade for the labor. This will be a cool street machine with some fun parts like an S&S carb and 3" belt drive.

I want the one that appears to be a custom bobber in the background. The black frame with white walls and a spring seat
    Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by CZ03WRX View Post
    I want the one that appears to be a custom bobber in the background. The black frame with white walls and a spring seat
    That sir, was one of the biggest pains in the ass we have every messed with. haha We put it together for a close friend of mine.
    Its a custom frame bobber with an 03 1200cc sportster engine. Its driveable but there is still some work that needs to be done on it. I'll see if i have enough pics for a thread on that one.
    But here's a couple.

Damn John, looks like I need to swing by the shop again. Y'alls been busy!

Quote Originally Posted by VF34RX View Post
    That sir, was one of the biggest pains in the ass we have every messed with. haha We put it together for a close friend of mine.
    Its a custom frame bobber with an 03 1200cc sportster engine. Its driveable but there is still some work that needs to be done on it. I'll see if i have enough pics for a thread on that one.
    that thing is gorgeous
    Caleb

Quote Originally Posted by CZ03WRX View Post
    that thing is gorgeous
    Has the turning radius of a train because the position of the turn stops and the tank. haha

meh I'd still ride it.
    Caleb