Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Rally in the 100 Acre Wood (maybe) official thread

Yes, you may. A great way to watch is to be a course marshal, that way you don't have to beat the crowds to the spectator points.

If you just want to go and hang out, that's okay too.
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase, but this is like smearing honey onto Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

"The Suzuki Wagon R should be avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite." - Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Yes, you may. A great way to watch is to be a course marshal, that way you don't have to beat the crowds to the spectator points.

If you just want to go and hang out, that's okay too.
    That would be badass I'm assuming I'd receive some sort of training?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.T-WRX View Post
    That would be badass I'm assuming I'd receive some sort of training?
    Absolutely. As I recall, they have a session before the stage crews go out on Friday and may have one on Saturday morning. They'll give a over-view of what you're supposed to do, how to deal with spectators/locals, etc. Marshals also get a manila envelope full of stuff like (1) a copy of a letter signed by the Sheriff saying you can block roads going on to the stage, etc (2) an "OK / Need Help" sign, (3) a map.

I was a marshal my first year and had a great time.
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase, but this is like smearing honey onto Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

"The Suzuki Wagon R should be avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite." - Clarkson

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Absolutely. As I recall, they have a session before the stage crews go out on Friday and may have one on Saturday morning. They'll give a over-view of what you're supposed to do, how to deal with spectators/locals, etc. Marshals also get a manila envelope full of stuff like (1) a copy of a letter signed by the Sheriff saying you can block roads going on to the stage, etc (2) an "OK / Need Help" sign, (3) a map.

I was a marshal my first year and had a great time.
    Just to add to what Dan said, you wouldn't work alone. In fact, recruit some friends to come along and help.

Quote Originally Posted by vorpal rally View Post
    Just to add to what Dan said, you wouldn't work alone. In fact, recruit some friends to come along and help.
    I may do that....I have a couple of girlfriends that may love this! Now how does lodging and driving/carpooling work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.T-WRX View Post
    I may do that....I have a couple of girlfriends that may love this! Now how does lodging and driving/carpooling work?
    The last couple of years we (the kcsubaru people, that is) have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Rolla and carpooled to Salem. IIRC the worker registration site asks if you'll be riding with someone & they do that so they can assign everyone in the car to the same positions.

I might go. Let me see how things fall, but I don't have class on Fridays next semester.

Andy, we usually head out to Rolla on Thursday morning and meet in Concordia at a BBQ place near I-70. After that we drive to Salem for worker check-in, hang out to watch tech inspection for a bit, then go back Rolla. If you're busy on Thursday you can sign up to work on Saturday & meet us at the hotel on Friday.

What time does everyone meet on Thursday morning? I'm sure I could skip a day of class or something like that...

The last couple of years we've met around noon at Biffle's BBQ in Concordia.