Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub 2000lb Miata on the drawing board

Sub 2000lb Miata on the drawing board

I just came.

Mazda Miata Dieting for the Future

Just the Facts:
    • The next Mazda MX-5 Miata could be considerably slimmer and trimmer than the current car.
    • Mazda engineers have been tasked with cutting no less than 720 pounds from the 2,480-pound curb weight of today's Miata.
    • The new Miata's engine could be as small as 1.4 liters, turbocharged and equipped with direct injection and variable cam phasing as part of Mazda's SkyActiv engineering efficiency program.

HIROSHIMA, Japan The next Mazda MX-5 Miata could be considerably slimmer and trimmer than the current car.
    According to a senior insider, Mazda's engineers have been tasked with cutting no less than 720 pounds from the 2,480-pound curb weight of today's Miata in their quest to build a car much closer in character to the 1989 original. In its leanest form, the '89 car weighed 2,178 pounds in U.S. spec.
    In fact, this product-planning source does not think the Miata weight target will be met, but described progress to Inside Line as "not bad."
    Weight saving will be achieved by using high-strength steels for the body, a smaller, lighter engine and a more minimalist specification.
    There has been much debate on the features that it might be possible to leave out. The dashboard glovebox will likely disappear, for example, in favor of other storage devices that weigh less. Also to go are the owner's manual, which could be supplied on a USB stick.
    The car will be narrower to reduce its frontal area and weight, although the biggest crash challenge is side-impact protection, says the source. Protecting pedestrians during frontal impacts has necessitated a pyrotechnic hood, he says.
    The new Miata's engine could be as small as 1.4 liters, turbocharged and equipped with direct injection and variable cam phasing as part of Mazda's SkyActiv engineering efficiency program. And engineers are working to make the manual-shift action as mechanically precise and satisfyingly short-throw as the original car's.
    Inside Line says: It's unlikely that the new Miata will hit that theoretical 1,760-lb target, which was imposed to stretch the engineers, but the new roadster may well end up weighing much the same as the original. With modern crash protection and a few more creature comforts, that would be some achievement. Richard Bremner, Correspondent

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/mx-5...he-future.html

Even if they don't hit the 720lb weight loss goal and only hit half of that, that makes the next gen Miata a 2100lb car. The awesomeness of the car might just warp space and time!!

That would be an awesome next gen Miata! I wonder how much of the interior they would trim out and such to make the weight? This will be an interesting new gen Miata that will turn heads on the weight side!
    2000 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    1.6 Liter DOHC B16A Motor
    5 Speed Manual Transmission

Pyrotechnic hood?

If it is light, this could be a good/fun used car in 10 years.

If they even come close to their engineering goals it would be awesome. I'd still have a hard time picking a $23K Miata over a lot of other stuff though. I'd love to rock a cheap NA that I wouldn't have to feel bad about putting through the wringer though.

Quote Originally Posted by stinole View Post
    Pyrotechnic hood?

If it is light, this could be a good/fun used car in 10 years.
    Hoods that blow their release bolts and lift up in a pedestrian crash have been going around for a few years.

Scoobie Expert
    If they get down to anywhere near that weight it's going to be epic. Miata's are one of my favorite cars ever, even if they look ghey as hell. lol
    - Omar G.C.
    My tail lights are fading

Quote Originally Posted by kyNg02bugeye View Post
    If they get down to anywhere near that weight it's going to be epic. Miata's are one of my favorite cars ever, even if they look ghey as hell. lol
    Its not so much the cars but the people that drive them. BUt yes it would be epic and one very fun car.
    #1 Top poster 19k and still posting
    The Official KCSubaru Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by VF34RX View Post
    Its not so much the cars but the people that drive them. BUt yes it would be epic and one very fun car.

Mods hate gays. This is proof.

Scoobie Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by VF34RX View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... I have a Miata that I drive the mountains with pretty often, and it has a kill list you wouldn't believe through the hills.
    - Omar G.C.
    My tail lights are fading

I would rock it

Quote Originally Posted by kyNg02bugeye View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa... I have a Miata that I drive the mountains with pretty often, and it has a kill list you wouldn't believe through the hills.
    Im not saying anything bad about the car.
    #1 Top poster 19k and still posting
    The Official KCSubaru Ninja