Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Skidplate

DIY Skidplate

I've done this for every car I own, it's cheap insurance. Here's a rundown on what I did for my bugeye WRX:

Materials:
    Cardboard
    Aluminum/HPDE/etc.
    (5) M8x1.25 bolts of sufficient length
    (10) Large fender washers to fit bolt head
    (5) lock washers
    (many) nylon washers
    (5) or (10) rubber washers

Tools:
    Marker for template
    Cutting device (cutoff wheel, jig-saw, sawzall, dremel, shears, etc.)
    Drill (for holes)
    Sheet Metal brake (or hammer, angle iron, and C-Clamps)

Procedure:

I made a quick cardboard template. Mark the center of the piece, and center it up on your car. Mark the cuts to make to clear the control arms. Mark the three holes along the front, and the two near the center of the front subframe. If you miss a hole, it's not the end of the world, and your skidplate might need some tweaking. Bend up the front edge. Bolt it to the car to make sure it fits:

Now, transfer your holes and lines to the skidplate. Then,cut the angles with a cutoff wheel. Drill out the mounting holes. Oversize them, as positioning isn't critical, and you'll likely need the freedom to mount it. Then bend up the front lip. I did this by setting the bend line in a large piece of angle iron, and whacking the crap out of it with bodywork hammer till it formed a bend line, then I achieved the proper angle with a 4lb mini-sledge. (I like hammers )

Test fit your skidplate.

I attached mine with with stainless hardware so that it won't rust. I also used button head allen bolts, so that they wouldn't catch on anything under the car. I used nylon washers to space my skidplate down to add some more clearance for the oilpan/exhaust. I chose nylon to absorb some slight vibration, compress slightly, and it won't rust. I used rubber washers to again isolate the vibrations of the skidplate. My stack up went like this:

Bottom of car
    Rubber washer (x2)
    Nylon washer (x3)
    Fender Washer
    Skidplate
    Fender Washer
    Lock washer
    Bolt head

Disclaimer:

I obviously don't condone stealing street signs, the sign above was bought at a flea market for ~$5, seemed a little under 1/4" thick, and is perfectly sized for most cars.

Results:

The skidplate on my WRX has made it up Pikes Peak, Survived Marshaling 100AW, and taken everything else I could throw at it in daily driving without taking any damage.

I had one of similar manufacture on my lowered 240SX. While marshalling at 100AW rally, I came hauling down the road after the stage had re-opened, and one of the rally cars had swept a small boulder onto the road. The car in front of me hit it, and it came rolling under my car, punched a 3" hole about 1" in front of my oil pan. If I didn't have the skidplate, my car would have bled out on some rural road in the middle of the Ozarks. $5 is cheap insurance!

-Matt

Loadin' up the choppers like its December 31st

Re: DIY Skidplate

DUDE epic skidplate is epic

Quote Originally Posted by cseaman View Post
    Within the first minute, I saw a guy with Oakley Gascans and a significant tribal tattoo. X'd out.

My STi is low, I beat the crap out of my skid plate..

Good DIY.

Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

I might have to do this. Looks like I'm headed to the flea market!!
    -Dan
    2007 Infiniti G35x
    2004 AW STi [sold] [bought again, traded away]
    2004 White Baja Turbo [sold]
    2007 CGM WRX Wagon [sold]

This is great!

Awesome choice of sign as well.
    John
    1995 Cosmos Black M3
    2005 Black STi(Sold)
    1998 Black Forester S(Sold)
    1993 Honda Accord EX DD

i dont know why but i cant see the three pictures under the Procedure part. did they get taken off?
    05 OBP STi play
    00 Ranger work

Quote Originally Posted by 20sti05
    i dont know why but i cant see the three pictures under the Procedure part. did they get taken off?
    Same here, all I see is "Image".
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase, but this is like smearing honey onto Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

"The Suzuki Wagon R should be avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite." - Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by DanC

ditto
    05 OBP STi play
    00 Ranger work

Quote Originally Posted by DanC

ditto
    That sucks, the skid plte was made out of a loose gravel sign.

Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

Scoobie Newbie
    On a old back country road, with a wide open throttle.
    Anyone know a company that manufatures skid plates??? and ball park price on them?