Thread: Machine shops in the area

Scoobie Newbie

Machine shops in the area

Anyone have a certain machine shop you prefer? If the carquest in olathe wouldn't have closed I would be heading there but alas no luck. Just want to have my Forester heads milled flat before I put them back together and was hoping someone knew of a good place to go. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blingstrom View Post
    Anyone have a certain machine shop you prefer? If the carquest in olathe wouldn't have closed I would be heading there but alas no luck. Just want to have my Forester heads milled flat before I put them back together and was hoping someone knew of a good place to go. Thanks.
    I had Nolands put in a heli-coil for me and they did a great job but I've never had them mill any heads. They're just off the downtown loop. I've done head gaskets on at least three Subaru's, one of them being a turbo and never had the heads milled. I'm sure that in certain situations that's called for especially if the engine has overheated multiple times. If the engine hasn't been overheated, I'm not sure that milling the heads is necessary. Have you ever torqued the heads down on one of these engines? If you haven't then you don't know what your missing :P If you have, you probably wouldn't be asking this question
    -Brent

'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
    '11 Legacy 2.5i Premium CVT
    '01 Forester S 4EAT
    '04 BMW R1150R

Scoobie Newbie
    Just bought the car three weeks ago and the radiator had been blown sky high so I am just taking the necessary precautions. I have read many good things about nolands they are just a little out of the way since my car is located in olathe. Might just give them a call and see what time frame they have though as they are the most well noted. Was hopeful maybe some others had used shops in the olathe area. Thanks for the info!

Sure haven't had the fun of torqueing the heads back down but after explaining it to my Honda buddy it sure sounds great. He was quite puzzled by the sequence.

Ok, if it overheated then that's the way to go. You might get a faster response if you go to the facebook site. There may be some gear heads that post over there but don't pay much attention to this site anymore.

On a side note, my daughters Forester was rear ended two weeks ago so I have an entire drive train that's functional.
    -Brent

'01 Forester S 4EAT
    '04 BMW R1150R

Scoobie Newbie
    Yeah not as many still present here and don't really care for facebook. It's hard to say what really happened to the car I can see spots on the hood from where the radiator gave up. But maybe it was on its way out and a small leak made it give up the rest of the way. Well I wish I would have known about that drivetrain just had to replace my driveshaft on it but it wasn't terribly expensive.

Definitely can see where the gasket failed though.

Seen here

Yeah, those pics pretty much tell the story. I need to find an Outback or Forester with a bad motor to swap all my good parts into...
    -Brent

'01 Forester S 4EAT
    '04 BMW R1150R

Scoobie Newbie
    Ended up heading to nolands. Great guys up there and having a quick turnaround so I can put my Forester back together by the end of the week. Thanks again for the help.

They were personable as I recall. I hope they do a good job for you!
    -Brent

'01 Forester S 4EAT
    '04 BMW R1150R