Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuning bigger injectors???

Cylinder misfire codes:

Let me just start off by saying I am new to the KC area and new to Subaru's. I have a 2007 outback XT that I purchased late last summer and I had issues with it from the get-go. The car had 99,000 miles when I got it and when I test drove it I noticed an issue with the acceleration. It was very jerky for the first second or two when I gave it full throttle like it wasn't sure what it wanted to do, that's the only way I have been able to explain it. I figured it needed a tune up, needless to say I purchased a car with an extended warranty. I took it to a shop and had new plugs and boots installed and that didn't seem to do anything so then I purchased the access port and took it to a Subaru dealership where they replaced the turbo (which was over $2,000) under warranty, did a compression test and, a bore-scope. None of that worked and by that time I noticed I was burning through oil a lot so I talk to the guys at Modified By KC and they assured me that the ring lands were bad on the Pistons. So I authorized the teardown of the motor and found part of the problem, which was scarring of the cylinder wall form the wrist pin. Modified By KC (MKC) ordered a new 2009 short block from Subaru and proceeded to rebuild the motor. I had them install forged Manley Pistons, Tumble Generator Valve (TGV) deletes, larger fuel pump, new clutch and flywheel, bigger injectors, hotter spark plugs, a unequal length header and, downpipe. Then they dynode and tuned the car before returning it to me. Fortunately the warranty covered $6,500 and I paid $4,000 for the extra parts. After having all of that done I have still been throwing cylinder misfire codes every so often but they continue to be more frequent and it seems like the car is starting to do the jerky thing for the first second or two after giving it full throttle. I've taken a few data logs in third gear like Cobb suggest and it seems to be okay. One thing I didn't quite understand was the Dino that I received from MKC. It looked like the power jumps up and down tremendously and I'm not sure how reputable they are. So with all that being said I would like to get a second opinion on the tune. Therefore my question is where should I go or how should I proceed?

Cylinder misfire codes:

Let me just start off by saying I am new to the KC area and new to Subaru's. I have a 2007 outback XT that I purchased late last summer and I had issues with it from the get-go. The car had 99,000 miles when I got it and when I test drove it I noticed an issue with the acceleration. It was very jerky for the first second or two when I gave it full throttle like it wasn't sure what it wanted to do, that's the only way I have been able to explain it. I figured it needed a tune up, needless to say I purchased a car with an extended warranty. I took it to a shop and had new plugs and boots installed and that didn't seem to do anything so then I purchased the access port and took it to a Subaru dealership where they replaced the turbo (which was over $2,000) under warranty, did a compression test and, a bore-scope. None of that worked and by that time I noticed I was burning through oil a lot so I talk to the guys at Modified By KC and they assured me that the ring lands were bad on the Pistons. So I authorized the teardown of the motor and found part of the problem, which was scarring of the cylinder wall form the wrist pin. Modified By KC (MKC) ordered a new 2009 short block from Subaru and proceeded to rebuild the motor. I had them install forged Manley Pistons, Tumble Generator Valve (TGV) deletes, larger fuel pump, new clutch and flywheel, bigger injectors, hotter spark plugs, a unequal length header and, downpipe. Then they dynode and tuned the car before returning it to me. Fortunately the warranty covered $6,500 and I paid $4,000 for the extra parts. After having all of that done I have still been throwing cylinder misfire codes every so often but they continue to be more frequent and it seems like the car is starting to do the jerky thing for the first second or two after giving it full throttle. I've taken a few data logs in third gear like Cobb suggest and it seems to be okay. One thing I didn't quite understand was the Dino that I received from MKC. It looked like the power jumps up and down tremendously and I'm not sure how reputable they are. So with all that being said I would like to get a second opinion on the tune. Therefore my question is where should I go or how should I proceed?

Scoobie Newbie
    On a old back country road, with a wide open throttle.
    Hey budddy i appreciate all your help on getting me started with getting evertyhing dilaed in with the AP & Accessport tuner software, i finally thought i had her dialed in very good_______ ( never realized how many tables had to be looked at and how many very tiny adjustments had to be made, lol.... Well< lol i decided to pick up a blouche 20g from a buddy of mine and install it the other day and start my magice at tuning this one, once again i've got it dialed in decent.. (i'm not pro tuner or etuner thats for sure)..... But heres the issue i'm having i jhave all supporting mods to include bottem end work to support this application. The :NEW: problem is i cant mash the pedal all the waY to the floor or at peak rpm or just before 6800,7000 rpm i overboost and the car richens way up. thats ONLY if i mash it though if i roll on it. Doesn't do it. checked all the normal boxes off the list vacuum lines, fuel pressure etc....... and now i'm having a hard time HOLDING boost, it wont hold r stay even close to the set boost targets i set in accestuner race and i'm running off a grimspeed 3 port ebc????????? any ideas? or think you might know what needs tweaked??? or heck man even if youd be willing to wrtie me an etune i'll gladly oay ya for it.... atleast that way i can compare all your tables vs my saved ones for this map and see what changes were made where and learn some more???

Scoobie Newbie
    On a old back country road, with a wide open throttle.
    Itsonly tunning overly right at WOT and overbossting in 2nd gear.....???? Wtf???

- - - Updated - - -

Its only running real rich and overboosting in 2nd gear.... wtf...?