Thread: Converting my 09 to Speed Density and joining the darkside.

Scoobie Regular
    Blog Entries

Converting my 09 to Speed Density and joining the darkside.

Well here it is, almost 6 years later, and I'm finally going to modify the STi again. A little history lesson, when purchased from LSS, the STi went form LSS to MKC for a dyno (234/234 stock, with some shocking AFR's at peak boost) - to 270/270 with just a tune by Chad @mkcperformance

About a year after that, I went S2+, TBE, AMR TMIC, Perrin inlet, and some suspension bits, another retune (Chad discounted my retune rate quite nicely) and she's making 310/330 on pump gas.

So I dropped into MKC about a month ago and asked Chad if he could check out the tune for me, not that I was having any issues, it's just been about 5 years and well, I wanted to know it's all looking good. He put me on the dyno, and checked out the tune + gave me a power number to compare - 311/328 - then he starts telling me about Speed Density, and some of the advancements COBB has made to the Accesstuner software. Damnit Chad, the wheels are turning now.

So I do some reading, and find out the parts needed, An IAT and a 4 bar MAP. wow that's easy. Oh yeah and a Cobb V2 or V3 - I just happened on a deal on Amazon and landed a V3 for 489.00 shipped. Be here Friday!

I will use this post to put up the before and after info on the conversion. As soon as I get the fuel components together, I'll be putting my spare set of ID1000's in along with a parallel fuel rail set-up with a E465lph in tank. MMM daily driver on E85 in the summer, oh yeah.
    Daily driver: 2009 SWP STi
    614hp 567tq [email protected] Chad Charlton Tune SRT-4. ~Meanblueberry~

2004 Dodge SRT-4 - Sponsored by Prolubricants.com

Sounds like fun AJ!

My car was butter smooth on SD compared to the MAF setup I had previously. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Awesome I too am pretty much doing this same exact thing minus I'll be open source. I've been wanting speed density forever I just feel it's better all around and now that I drive by an E85 pump I figured why not. I went with an aem 3.5 bar map sensor and Cobb adaptor tho it was a hard decision between it or like an omni direct plug n play but I just have read that the aem would read a little more precise I also did the E85 416 walbro. Keep us posted on how you like it with work so busy I won't be able to do the switch untill April most likely.

Scoobie Regular
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin 05 Sti View Post
    Sounds like fun AJ!

My car was butter smooth on SD compared to the MAF setup I had previously. I don't think you'll be disappointed!
    Riding in your beaster was one of those factors that got me working on this car again....DOH.

Quote Originally Posted by White06gt30r View Post
    Awesome I too am pretty much doing this same exact thing minus I'll be open source. I've been wanting speed density forever I just feel it's better all around and now that I drive by an E85 pump I figured why not. I went with an aem 3.5 bar map sensor and Cobb adaptor tho it was a hard decision between it or like an omni direct plug n play but I just have read that the aem would read a little more precise I also did the E85 416 walbro. Keep us posted on how you like it with work so busy I won't be able to do the switch untill April most likely.
    I'm going to do a fuel upgrade in addition to the SD conversion, I've got a spare set of ID1000's and th NAsioc post on parallel fuel set-up. I figured those modifications + a DW65c direct fit fuel pump upgrade should put me in the right area for E85 daily + safety.

I also have a set of 1000s I just got back from being cleaned and flowed. I did kind of my own parrell set up just got an aeromotive fpr some 6AN braided line 6AN fittings 6AN Y block and some used top feed P&L fuel rails that had 1/4 npt in on each side. That's exactly what I was thinking I'm hoping for 400+whp and everything I read says it just wouldn't last long on pump givin I have cp pistons but I just figure why stress it if you can make the power easier on E85 and you drive by a pump everyday there's just no since not too.

Scoobie Regular
    Blog Entries
    so after some conversation with Chad, it appears my Stock STi MAP is a 3 bar, it will measure 44psi absolute - so that is 3 bar. Perfect for my needs, I'm not shooting for 150psi or anything. Just want to keep my I = 12psi S=18psi S#=23psi dial a boost settings when I convert, not looking for more boost.

That's a bonus, saved me some $$$. Going pretty hands on with this one, so I'll keep a good log of the conversion, and results.

I hope we can baseline it on the OperSource tune, then convert it to Cobb SD and re-dyno - thats a fair side by side, same dyno, same day, same car.

Not going to do the E85 and SD switch at the same time, I'd like ot get used to the SD, datalogging and make sure it's all 5X5 before I add another variable into the mix with a new fuel set-up and injectors.

Might think about relocating your IAT.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to follow up - HERE is a link to the post on my build thread where I show my relocated IAT. You don't NEED to do this... I wanted to have accurate IAT's and the stock IAT/MAF location was not ideal. It is tunable, but again, not ideal. No issues with heat soak. Pure SD here.

Scoobie Regular
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Type2 View Post
    Might think about relocating your IAT.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to follow up - HERE is a link to the post on my build thread where I show my relocated IAT. You don't NEED to do this... I wanted to have accurate IAT's and the stock IAT/MAF location was not ideal. It is tunable, but again, not ideal. No issues with heat soak. Pure SD here.
    Yea, Chad and I were talking about that, I wondered if I couldn't tap the end tank closest to the TB on the TMIC. - I like the location you used. I wonder if that would work on my intake manifold.

Thanks for the info and great pics.