Thread: EJ255 help?

EJ255 help?

I'm looking for a EJ255 to go into a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT. I don't know where to start. My fiance who i tell to check the oil every fill up hasn't been. I found out the hard way with no oil in it and a blown motor later i'm stuck in a sticky situation with no knowledge. where can i get one new? does anyone have one used? how much would a new or used one run me? what's an average cost for labor? anything i need to know about what i should look for when getting a used one? any help is useful.

If you're planning on needing a shop to install it for you, I'd locate a shop and see what they're willing to put in there for you (a shop may be picky about the source of the motor for warranty/liability reasons maybe?).

Good running complete ej255/257s don't pop up on here very often at all. Ebay and Nasioc are good sources for motors. I want to say just about any ej255 or ej257 from a turbo Subaru will work fine without any wiring changes (assuming your car is a manual...automatic may raise some issues) with some compatibility exceptions (mainly newer models). Price kind of depends on how much of it you need. I'd expect $1,000 to $3,500 ranging from just the shortblock up to a complete engine with everything. If you can't find something local, make sure you buy something from a reputable seller/vendor that has sold engines in the past. A seller with lots of good feedback is worth spending a bit extra for.
    Last edited by mark342; 02-19-2014 at 05:32 PM.

If you're only needing a SB then I just took mine out and have it for sale. It needs a rebuild and happens to be sitting at a shop that could arrange for that to happen. PM me if you're interested.
    2008 JDM Legacy STi conversion, 1996 Legacy Outback

Define modified...

There is also alot of info on LegacyGT.com THis happens to quite a few people. A short block brand new can be had for around $1700 or so on a certain subaru website that i can't recall right now, but i know the link is somewhere on the LegacyGT forum.
    2008 Legacy 3.0R
    05 Legacy GT Limited w/ Invida DP and UP, P204 UH, and MKC tune (Sold)