Thread: Need local help (Lawrence)

Need local help (Lawrence)

I see several guys rolling around town and was wondering if anyone had a vag com cable and SSM. I need to reset my TCU and wanted to ask if anyone could help me out before I went and bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by 2_slowLGT View Post
    I see several guys rolling around town and was wondering if anyone had a vag com cable and SSM. I need to reset my TCU and wanted to ask if anyone could help me out before I went and bought one.
    Sorry, all I have is a Tactrix but I don't think that will work. What kind of car you have? Any benefit to resetting the TCU? What is going on? Not sure if you have seen my black 2004 FXT or not, but I live in Lawrence.

Is the only way to reset the TCU with a cable? I'd figure if you pulled the battery it would have to forget whatever is in its memory after a while.

I'd love to help as I too live in Lawrence but I don't have any cables :/

I second Justin's words

Scoobie Regular
    Blog Entries
    As Justin said, you can reset the TCU by disconnecting the battery and then stepping on the brake, then wait 5-10 mins. hook it back up and viola'.
    Daily driver: 2009 SWP STi
    614hp 567tq [email protected] Chad Charlton Tune SRT-4. ~Meanblueberry~

2004 Dodge SRT-4 - Sponsored by Prolubricants.com

I doubt OP is still around, but I got interested so I looked into this. I purchased a "VAG-COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 USB Cable Auto Scanner Scan Tool"

See this post on SubaruOutback.org FreeSSM - Complete access to your ECM and TCU

Quote Originally Posted by Type2 View Post
    I doubt OP is still around, but I got interested so I looked into this. I purchased a "VAG-COM KKL 409.1 OBD2 USB Cable Auto Scanner Scan Tool"

See this post on SubaruOutback.org FreeSSM - Complete access to your ECM and TCU
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. Interesting that the new Openports don't work, but the older ones do. I knew I should have kept my old Tactrix!

You can pull learning views with the VAG cables. Logging, not so much... You can flash with them but power needs to be applied on one of the pin outs IIRC. PITA Buy a Tacrix cable for flashing.
    -Brent

'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
    '11 Legacy 2.5i Premium CVT
    '01 Forester S 4EAT
    '04 BMW R1150R

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    You can pull learning views with the VAG cables. Logging, not so much... You can flash with them but power needs to be applied on one of the pin outs IIRC. PITA Buy a Tacrix cable for flashing.
    I flash with my Cobb AP and log with my Tactrix. The VAG cable is for using FreeSSM solely.