Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended bulb replacements? HID Kit?

Recommended bulb replacements? HID Kit?

I am looking at wanting to get better bulbs for my 2008 2.5i Legacy, any suggestions? They are honestly not bright enough for my liking as far as for night time driving. I have looked at getting a full HID replacement for her, but not sure where to look or what to consider. Still new when it comes to this department, so any suggestions would be great!
    2000 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    1.6 Liter DOHC B16A Motor
    5 Speed Manual Transmission

The place I see mentioned over and over is Lightwerkz.

What would be the ideal replacement for my Legacy? Never done HID's and have concerns if it will turn out to look like rice. True HID's and making it look factory is my appeal and would like to stay that way.
    Last edited by DWCook; 08-12-2014 at 02:53 PM.
    2000 Honda Civic Si Coupe
    1.6 Liter DOHC B16A Motor
    5 Speed Manual Transmission

If it were me personally, I would just get the best replacement bulbs you can. At least try them first before dropping a ton of cash on doing HIDs.

I put SilverStar zXe bulbs in my truck and was really happy with the color temperature. You might also try the SilverStar ULTRA bulbs.

If HIDs are what you really want then you should get proper projector housings retrofitted. Besides Lightwerkz you could look into House of HID or Diode Dynamics.

Maybe look into Cree LED Headlight bulbs as they supposedly don't need a special housing and last longer than HID's and Halogen's
    RICK LITTLE RED RACE CAR
    2003 WRX Sedona Red Pearl---Tuned by Kyle---3'' TBE High Flow---2.5'' Catless UP
    K&N Typhoon SRI---Godspeed Inlet---Grimmspeed Lightened Crank Pulley---Walbro 255
    MikeySpeed Cross Pipe---BFM 3 Port EBCS---Godspeed TMIC
    TEIN S Techs

The BP/BL Legacy's OEM low beam projectors (while not actually designed for HID) are equipped with cutoffs and will be much "safer" than someone who installs HIDs into non-HID reflector housings. I have 35W 4300k HIDs installed in my LGT and they do not offend. I do, however, have greatly increased visible light output where I need it -- on the road in front of me -- and not unnecessarily in the eyes of oncoming drivers. If you're worried about the lights being terribly blue, stay with 5k and below color temperature.

Make sure you use a fused battery relay and QUALITY ballasts. They should be much heavier than the cheap/slim ballasts. In all, I've got around $100 in mine and the quality is surprisingly good. For best results, get some retrofits but be prepared to spend at least $400-500 for a set.
    Truth conquers slowly.

2002 SRP WRX Wagon RIP
    2005 OBP LGT

Since this thread came up at a good time, I would like to ask a question. I have been looking at replacing the OEM fog lights on my 08 STI. They are not bright enough (hardly notice them) and was thinking of putting the yellow HID kit from Diode Dynamics. Question is are these going to be too bright and overpower the headlights? Are they safe to run? Thanks for any input.

I changed out my OEM bulbs for HID bulbs last month in my 09 Impreza. Find out what type of bulb your leggy needs (According to Slyvania, you need H7s). I bought my HID bulbs from iJDM Toy after being recommended to them by two friends, one with an 08 Leggy 2.5gt and one with a 2011 WRX. This is the kit they both bought and I have had awesome luck with it as well. Very bright, not ricey at all and looks like a lot of other factory HIDs. Easy install, I did it in about 35 minutes, they both knocked theirs out in about 15-20. Comes with everything you need for an install for $80 bucks + shipping. They have had theirs installed since July of last year and have had no problems.

Just my two cents.

Collin

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Blue View Post
    Since this thread came up at a good time, I would like to ask a question. I have been looking at replacing the OEM fog lights on my 08 STI. They are not bright enough (hardly notice them) and was thinking of putting the yellow HID kit from Diode Dynamics. Question is are these going to be too bright and overpower the headlights? Are they safe to run? Thanks for any input.
    I am not sure what you mean by "overpower" the headlights. More light is always better as long as you're not blinding anybody.

That begs the question, are you going to use them as true fog lights (only in low visibility situations), or more like driving lights (on all the time)?