Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Rally in the 100 Acre Wood

2014 Rally in the 100 Acre Wood

The rally website is here: http://www.100aw.org/

It's only a bit over 4 months away, so now may be the time to put in vacation requests for the last weekend in February. I've started checking on places to stay & sure enough, the Holiday Inn of Salem, a.k.a. Rally HQ, is "unavailable". The Ranch Motel has some good reviews posted, the Walnut Motel is another option (if you can sleep through rally car engine tests) and Rolla is just an easy 30 minute drive to the north. There is a ranch house for rent just north of Salem for $150 per night for up to four people but I don't know if it is still available. For the mathematically challenged members, that would be less than 40 bucks a night per person if 4 of us went in together.

Worker registration probably won't be open until December but now is definitely not too soon to make plans to hang out in the forest with some rally cars.

The usual routine is this:

Thursday
    Meet at Biffle's BBQ in Concordia around 11:30
    Eat
    Drive to hotel & check in
    Drive to Salem and check in with worker chief
    Go back to hotel/motel/campground/whatever

Friday
    Fill up the gas tank
    Drive to stage crew meeting location
    Drive to 1st stage of the day, get set up
    Drive to 2nd stage of the day, get set up
    Drive back to hotel

Saturday
    Repeat of Friday except for going to the worker's party after working the last stage, then going back to the hotel

Sunday
    Go home

- - - Updated - - -

If you sign up to work (at http://www.rallymasterpro.com/ ) make a note on your registration that you want to be with the KCSubaru group. They know us & have been willing to assign us to the same stage crew. the more people we get to go the better.

What to bring to the woods – For stage workers:

• Food, snacks, & something to drink (non-alcoholic)
    • Warm and waterproof clothing and boots. Plan for warm to cold, rain or snow.
    • Flashlights and extra batteries
    • Reading material when you have time to kill
    • Markers and ballpoint pens – Start and Finish crew will be furnished, but it is good to have extras.
    • Clip board with light if you have them
    • Radio scanner, so you can get the net
    • FRS radios and cameras
    • Gas. Fill your vehicle before leaving Salem
    • Toilet paper and Kleenex

Marshalls: Your stage captain will have a map to get you to your next assignment. Follow them when released from your first assignment.
    I would like to add a thing or two to that list:

• GPS device (no, the app on your fancy-pants phone doesn't count. There are many, many places in the area where there is no cell signal so what you will be staring at is a very expensive paperweight)
    • Fold-up chairs
    • Print-outs of the stage maps. They should be on the rally website soon, and maps printed on paper do actually work when your cell phone can't get a signal.
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase, but this is like smearing honey onto Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

"The Suzuki Wagon R should be avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite." - Clarkson

I was just thinking yesterday about how happy I'd be if I saw a 100AW post on KCSubaru. They don't have a signup yet, but what's the deal with that Perryville Rally. Don't want to hijack, but has anyone been? And in case it was a question, I'm in. Those roads will be even more fun now that she's breathing better.
    2012 WRX Hatch SWP

This makes me sad. I want to race this event again badly, but unless I get someone/s to sponsor/finance me I don't see it happening.
    -Aaron- So called "Ninja Lawyer"

2013 WRB BRZ
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R Rally Car

http://kcmotorsport.com/ It's up!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrolix View Post
    This makes me sad. I want to race this event again badly, but unless I get someone/s to sponsor/finance me I don't see it happening.
    You could always sell the BRZ...
    -2005 WRB WRX-

Quote Originally Posted by musicman66 View Post
    You could always sell the BRZ...
    That still won't help me get the Sentra running like a champ in time along with everything else too. Now, if someone wants to pay off my student loans in one lump sum, I'll be good to go!
    -Aaron- So called "Ninja Lawyer"

2013 WRB BRZ
    1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R Rally Car

http://kcmotorsport.com/ It's up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alexfromop View Post
    I was just thinking yesterday about how happy I'd be if I saw a 100AW post on KCSubaru. They don't have a signup yet, but what's the deal with that Perryville Rally. Don't want to hijack, but has anyone been? And in case it was a question, I'm in. Those roads will be even more fun now that she's breathing better.
    I was a stage captain for the first two Perryville rallies, but won't be able to help with this one. It is a one day event with just a few stages, all very close to Perryville so there aren't any 45 mile sprints between stages.

I've heard that there are still rooms available at the Super 8 motel in Perryville (which is the Rally HQ), and it's easy to find: (1) drive east to St. Louis, then (2) drive south to Perryville. Rush hour traffic around St. Louis can be infuriating so plan on getting there before 3 p.m. They can always use more help, especially from people who have worked at 100 Acre Wood.

Fun fact: the creator of the Popeye character is from the town in Illinois that is just across the river on the road from Perryville.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrolix View Post
    How about one of the personal injury law firms in KC? The irony of having their name on the side of a race car would be awesome.
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase, but this is like smearing honey onto Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

"The Suzuki Wagon R should be avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite." - Clarkson

How about one of the personal injury law firms in KC? The irony of having their name on the side of a race car would be awesome
    +1!
    2012 WRX Hatch SWP

http://www.facebook.com/events/689901604403153/

The worker sign-up page probably won't be active until next month, but you can make motel/hotel/etc. arrangements now.

So tempted... I will have to wait until last minute, if I can go it will be a long shot.. It is 6 hours from Wichita...

Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXNFX View Post
    So tempted... I will have to wait until last minute, if I can go it will be a long shot.. It is 6 hours from Wichita...
    Do it...