Thread: The Hogzaust $5 Muffler Mod

The Hogzaust $5 Muffler Mod

The Hogzaust exhaust mod is popular on the Legacy GT forum, and I think on any dual exhaust car, or even a single outlet car, its worth trying.
    Step 1. Buy some washers $5
    Step 2. Undo the flange bolts between the Mid-pipe and the muffler.
    Step 3. Put in 1-3 or so washers, depending on how loud you want the car. (I did two on the bottom bolt, one on the top of each muffler because my washers came in a six pack.
    Step 4. Bolt flanges back together with washers in place inbetween the flanges.

This took me a good 30 minutes all in with jacking the car up. To me it is:
    1. Cheap way to make exhaust sound different
    2. A good way to see if you want to live with exhaust before buying
    3. A great prank you can do in under a half hour to a friend if you wanted to.

I did mine just to see how it was. I like it, but I have a flat 6. And getting an aftermarket exchaust for the 3.0 is apparently tough to get. And supposedly the Legacy GT exhaust doesn't fit, even though they look really similar. Anyway, what I like, is that if I'm going on a road trip, if its more than a couple hours, I know I can bolt the exhaust back together and be good to go for quietness.
    2008 Legacy 3.0R
    05 Legacy GT Limited w/ Invida DP and UP, P204 UH, and MKC tune (Sold)

I am not sure an exhaust leak counts as a modification.

But if you are happy that's all that matters!

I did this when I had my LGT to see if I wanted the loudness of a real exhaust system. I decided after a few weeks that I liked it and bought a system. It is a descent sound mod, but be careful if you keep it there for a while. After some time, the flanges will start to bend and the exhaust wont seal when you go to put it back to stock.
    Ryan
    '02 CMB E46 M3
    '14 XV Crosstrek Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Justin 05 Sti View Post
    I am not sure an exhaust leak counts as a modification.
    I, too, was a skeptic until I tried it. An exhaust leak that sounds this good should count for something...
    Truth conquers slowly.

2002 SRP WRX Wagon RIP
    2005 OBP LGT

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    I did this when I had my LGT to see if I wanted the loudness of a real exhaust system. I decided after a few weeks that I liked it and bought a system. It is a descent sound mod, but be careful if you keep it there for a while. After some time, the flanges will start to bend and the exhaust wont seal when you go to put it back to stock.
    Can you define "a while" I will need to put it back to stock before this happens. I don't want to think about how much exhaust is for my car if I ruin my stock exhaust. L
    2008 Legacy 3.0R
    05 Legacy GT Limited w/ Invida DP and UP, P204 UH, and MKC tune (Sold)

could always just take off you midpipe completely and drive...... almost like a straight pipe but missing the whole pipe part.

I have heard this mod, it is surprisingly effective..

I have thought about doing it on my beater truck.

I mean it is about as practical as drilling a hole in your muffler, but hey, to each their own.

Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

Quote Originally Posted by muajg View Post
    Can you define "a while" I will need to put it back to stock before this happens. I don't want to think about how much exhaust is for my car if I ruin my stock exhaust. L
    I ran it for a few months before removing the washers before the winter months and buying an aftermarket exhaust. When I put it back, it took a decent amount of gasket maker to seal it correctly. Probably just depends on how much you drive it. I don't remember who makes them, but someone was producing a metal piece that would mount between the flanges. It was basically a half piece the sealed the top half but was open on the bottom. This would probably do a good job of keeping the flange flat and still allowing a leak at the bottom for the sound. Might be hard to find but could be worth searching for.
    Ryan
    '02 CMB E46 M3
    '14 XV Crosstrek Limited