Thread: Upholsterer Experience. Want to try something from Wheeler Dealers

Upholsterer Experience. Want to try something from Wheeler Dealers

I was wondering if there is anybody who has had uphostry work done here in KC? I watch Wheeler Dealers quite often, and they had an episode where they put Alacantara seat insterts on a car. I know the Legacy Spec B came with them stock, and they looked awesome. I was thinking about getting them put in. On wheeler dealers they were only 100 GBP a seat. The optimist in me says maybe inserts could be put in for $100 a seat or less, especially with an off brand Alcantara material, but one that is still nice.

Anyway, I figured is someon has had work done before here would be the palce to go.
    2008 Legacy 3.0R
    05 Legacy GT Limited w/ Invida DP and UP, P204 UH, and MKC tune (Sold)

Scoobie Regular
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by muajg View Post
    I was wondering if there is anybody who has had uphostry work done here in KC? I watch Wheeler Dealers quite often, and they had an episode where they put Alacantara seat insterts on a car. I know the Legacy Spec B came with them stock, and they looked awesome. I was thinking about getting them put in. On wheeler dealers they were only 100 GBP a seat. The optimist in me says maybe inserts could be put in for $100 a seat or less, especially with an off brand Alcantara material, but one that is still nice.

Anyway, I figured is someon has had work done before here would be the palce to go.

Not local - JPMCoachworks can do almost anything you would like. The US cost is more like 175-400/seat depends on what you want.

I've had a local guy make a boat cover before and his normal interior prices were in the thousands for seats, door cards, pillars and headliner.
    Daily driver: 2009 SWP STi
    614hp 567tq [email protected] Chad Charlton Tune SRT-4. ~Meanblueberry~

2004 Dodge SRT-4 - Sponsored by Prolubricants.com

I would assume you are talking about the episode with the Boxter S??? Got me searching for some local ones too but haven't been able to find any local. I'll let you know if I find any.
    Ryan
    '02 CMB E46 M3
    '14 XV Crosstrek Limited

Legacy, you are correct. I wish the US had industrial estates like Engalnd does. It seems like they have guys that can do anything. I just want to get the insert put in. I'm even ok with the cheaper alacantara.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, according to the internet, there is a place in Gladstone. Gladstone auto trim. In the photo gallery they have a car that got inserts put in. Theirs were ugly and on a Trail Blazer(Why?) but, the good news is that it looks like they are capable of doing it. Now I just have to find out how much.
    2008 Legacy 3.0R

Very cool.
    Ryan
    '02 CMB E46 M3
    '14 XV Crosstrek Limited

I know A & A Royal Auto Trim in KCMO can get the Alacantara as I had them quote doing my headliner and pillars to match the black Alacantara in my Spec.B's seats. They do a lot of car seat work from what the guy told me when I was talking to them about it.
    Alan
    2008 Legacy GT Spec.B

Do you remember the quote off hand if you don't mind me asking?
    2008 Legacy 3.0R

I'm curious about this too. Fun trivia: I pass that place every Wednesday when I go to KU Med for my volunteer shift.
    "Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase, but this is like smearing honey onto Keira Knightley." Jeremy Clarkson

"The Suzuki Wagon R should be avoided like unprotected sex with an Ethiopian transvestite." - Clarkson

FWIW, I lived down the street from A&A when I lived in KC. I went there to get a price quote on a new top on my S2000. They were very expensive--selling me a lesser quality brand vinyl top for $200 more than I could buy a nicer cloth top (EZ On vinyl vs. Robbins cloth) AND then charging dealer prices to install the top. I think the total quote was somewhere in the range of $1800 for that.

I did buy some protectant for my new top there. That experience was pleasant enough.

Quote Originally Posted by muajg View Post
    Do you remember the quote off hand if you don't mind me asking?
    When I had my headliner and all interior pillars quoted to match my seat inserts it was around $535 total. This was about two years ago I had it quoted but never went through with it due to other projects coming up.
    Alan
    2008 Legacy GT Spec.B