Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live in MO, buy car in KS

Live in MO, buy car in KS

I tried searching in here and elsewhere, but need some more info as I can't find exactly what I am looking for.

So if you live in MO and buy a car in KS, how does the sales tax work? Thanks

-Joe
    1993 Impreza L wagon slow as hell but modded suspension (sold)
    2002 Impreza WRX wagon stage 2.5 VF30 (sold)
    2008 Scion xB, white
    Music page: https://soundcloud.com/stentorian

I live in MO and bought my Legacy in KS. The dealer at first tried to charge me sales tax until I advised that I lived out of state. I paid sales tax on the purchase price when I registered the vehicle in Jackson County.
    Truth conquers slowly.

2002 SRP WRX Wagon RIP
    2005 OBP LGT

Quote Originally Posted by cubedweller View Post
    I live in MO and bought my Legacy in KS. The dealer at first tried to charge me sales tax until I advised that I lived out of state. I paid sales tax on the purchase price when I registered the vehicle in Jackson County.

So it does work like that as I was suspecting it would. Good deal, as what I can find it's cheaper to buy in KS and then register in Cass County (where we live). My wife has been looking for a new car, and seems to be better pricing on the KS side to start with.

Thanks for the answer!

-Joe
    2008 Scion xB, white

There is no local sales tax if you buy a car out of state in MO. Looks like the state tax still applies

http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/salescalc.php

The Department collects taxes when an applicant applies for title on a motor vehicle, trailer, all-terrain vehicle, boat, or outboard motor (unit), regardless of the purchase date, as follows:

Unit sold by a Missouri dealer – state sales tax and local sales tax.
    Unit sold by an out-of-state dealer or by any individual (whether a Missouri or out-of-state individual) – state use tax and local option use tax if the applicant's city or county imposes a local option use tax. The sale of the unit is not subject to local sales tax.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...29323766b.html
    Last edited by stinole; 01-20-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Scoobie Newbie
    from what I can tell, buying a car in KS, you don't have to pay a sales tax, but when you register it in MO, you have to pay a use tax...
    I'm not entirely sure how much they differ, but supposedly you can save some money doing it this way. So don't let the dealer file the sales tax for you, insist on doing it yourself

if you buy my wagon I wont chrage you sales tax i promise... LOL
    "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!!!"

2002 Subaru MBP WRX Wagon- SOLD
    1998 Honda BB6 Prelude- SOLD
    1996 Honda EK Civic JDM swap- SOLD
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX- SOLD
    2003 Acura RSX-S A SPEC (JDM Badged)

stinole : thanks for the info, I will check those links out as well.

eyeb : After we started looking into purchasing in KS too, turns out for what we are looking for at this time we could actually save quite a bit on taxes if buying in KS (or anywhere outside of MO).

WRXkid : Hahaha, I don't think it's the right car she is looking for. And for me, if it were a newer WRX hatch, I'd buy it

-Joe
    2008 Scion xB, white

Quote Originally Posted by stentorian View Post
    WRXkid : Hahaha, I don't think it's the right car she is looking for. And for me, if it were a newer WRX hatch, I'd buy it

-Joe
    in that case ive got a newer hatch STI for ya im sure i could let it go for a decent price and i wont charge sales tax either lol
    -Adum
    09 WRB STI - Tucking Goldies [Sold]
    '59 Chevy Bel Air 2-door coupe

Uhh you're going to have to pay sales tax in MO when you go to the tag office regardless whether you buy the car in KS or MO. The seller doesnt charge the sales tax, the county you live in does

Quote Originally Posted by rjnolen View Post
    Uhh you're going to have to pay sales tax in MO when you go to the tag office regardless whether you buy the car in KS or MO. The seller doesnt charge the sales tax, the county you live in does
    MO Supreme ct ruled that the county/state/city can't charge sales tax on a vehicle purchased out of state. They can only charge a use tax.