Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Increase Gas Mileage?

  1. #1

    Increase Gas Mileage?

    I got my first subaru, a 2000 Legacy Outback, w/138,000 miles. How do I increase my gas mileage - I'm used to a Honda Civic Wagon? Hope there are some aftermarket tips that really work.

    Make it a Blessed Day,
    Butch

  2. #2

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Intake and exhause should help. When was the last time you had gear oil, air filter and or spark plugs changed?


    Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

  3. #3

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Weight reduction; rotating (pulleys, propeller shaft etc), sprung (body and interior) and un-sprung (wheels/tires and rotors).

    BTW, welcome.


    Pete

    '05 STI WRB...His
    '02 WRX SRP...Hers (RIP)
    '02 WRX Wagon MBP...Hers (traded for...)
    '09 Forester XT NBP...Hers

  4. #4

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by pnasmith
    Weight reduction; rotating (pulleys, propeller shaft etc), sprung (body and interior) and un-sprung (wheels/tires and rotors).

    BTW, welcome.


    Pete
    What is with you and propeller shafts? Did you used to work for Chriscraft?


    Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

  5. #5

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    LOL ! And all this time I thought it was a DRIVE shaft! What will those wacky guys at FHI think of (or rename) next?

    Pete

    '05 STI WRB...His
    '02 WRX SRP...Hers (RIP)
    '02 WRX Wagon MBP...Hers (traded for...)
    '09 Forester XT NBP...Hers

  6. #6

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by pnasmith
    LOL ! And all this time I thought it was a DRIVE shaft! What will those wacky guys at FHI think of (or rename) next?

    Pete
    Around here we call them half shafts..


    Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

  7. #7
    Scoobie Expert Just4fuN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,196

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WRXNFX
    Quote Originally Posted by pnasmith
    LOL ! And all this time I thought it was a DRIVE shaft! What will those wacky guys at FHI think of (or rename) next?

    Pete
    Around here we call them half shafts..
    I call it a doodlebug shaft.
    '05 WRX Sedan - WRB - Sold
    '11 WRX Sedan - SSM - Sold
    '14 XV Crosstrek - ISM
    #37 Poster

  8. #8

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by WRXNFX
    Quote Originally Posted by pnasmith
    LOL ! And all this time I thought it was a DRIVE shaft! What will those wacky guys at FHI think of (or rename) next?

    Pete
    Around here we call them half shafts..
    I tend to call 'em a PITA when the go 'crunch'
    I never understood using proprietary terms for common items.



    I think we thread-jacked Butch


    Pete

    '05 STI WRB...His
    '02 WRX SRP...Hers (RIP)
    '02 WRX Wagon MBP...Hers (traded for...)
    '09 Forester XT NBP...Hers

  9. #9

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Quote Originally Posted by pnasmith
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXNFX
    Around here we call them half shafts..
    I tend to call 'em a PITA when the go 'crunch'
    I never understood using proprietary terms for common items.



    I think we thread-jacked Butch


    Pete
    So you had a strut clunk and they replace the drive shaft from the tranny to the rear diff?


    Subaru, it's all we'll drive!

  10. #10

    Re: Increase Gas Mileage?

    Yeah, right? Made no sense to me either. But, hey, it was warranty work so...new 'whatever' shaft for me.
    I've since found out struts are considered 'wear items' and would not be covered anyway. So, looks like I'll be picking your brain about suspension sooner rather than later (the clunk is driving me NUTS).
    No coil-overs or severe drop, prob something along the lines of 'pinks', at least that's the the stance I'm lookin' for. My questions are about struts, bars and 'thane. I'll start a thread in the appropriate spot in the near future.

    Pete

    '05 STI WRB...His
    '02 WRX SRP...Hers (RIP)
    '02 WRX Wagon MBP...Hers (traded for...)
    '09 Forester XT NBP...Hers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •