PDA

View Full Version : engine detailing

20sti05
08-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Does anybody use the manual car wash to clean/detail your engine bay? If so do you cover anything up before you spray it?

I don't have a hose at my house to use so that's why I'm asking. If anybody has a better way of doing it post up. Thanks

Blue Meanie
08-30-2012, 10:00 AM
I've done that a few times, and the power wash thing too, and never had a problem... I just put a grocery bag over the intake filter and tie it and try not to blast that.

20sti05
08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
if the engine is hot shouldnt you let the engine run while spraying it? if so the bag over the intake would probably not be good while its running

did you actually use the engine spray setting? and did you spray the intercooler with it?

musicman66
08-30-2012, 10:27 AM
If you can help it I wouldn't use a pressure washer. It more then likely wouldn't hurt anything but it makes is easier for the water to get into places that it shouldn't. The best thing you can do is spray a engine degreaser on the engine while it's cool (Never spray water on a hot engine) let it soak in and then agitate with a brush then hose off with a garden hose not letting it just "soak" the engine. Only use enough water to get the dirt and degreaser off.

PsychoSubie
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
I have my own personal pressure washer and I've done mine a few times. Always wash the engine when cold, cover the filter if possible try not to put a lot of pressure on sensors. Remember 2500+psi will take skin off your hand so imagine what it can do to insulation on wires. Just keep the wand back 18-24 inches and you'll be safe. If you want I am home mon thru fri all day available till 5pm or so you can swing by and use mine it's the least I can do for you hooking me up on the wing I bought from you.

WRXkid
09-06-2012, 02:25 AM
If you can help it I wouldn't use a pressure washer. It more then likely wouldn't hurt anything but it makes is easier for the water to get into places that it shouldn't. The best thing you can do is spray a engine degreaser on the engine while it's cool (Never spray water on a hot engine) let it soak in and then agitate with a brush then hose off with a garden hose not letting it just "soak" the engine. Only use enough water to get the dirt and degreaser off.

My class instructors at school have always said never pressure wash anything in the enigine bay!!! Something about atmospheric pressure and rain.... pretty much dont do it or there COULD be problems down the road! (Engine Repair, Electrical, and Steering/Suspension Instructors) Engine repair always said he could tell why someone is having problems with their car, Engine bay was spotless!

PsychoSubie
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I have always used a pressure washer on my engine and never had prob as a direct result of it. you just have to use common sense keep back 18-24" from all hoses and electrical and always wash a cold engine

Boorah
09-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I have power washed more engine bays than I could ever count. Never had a single problem, just use common sense.