PDA

View Full Version : Plugs

TBone
04-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Getting close to 60K so it's time. I plan on swapping them out tomorrow and was curious if there is any tricks/tips I should know about before digging in. Found some write ups on it and it looks pretty straight forward but hey, I'm a scooby newbie! Was planning on going with NGK Iridium. Is this a solid choice?

Jagular1785
04-14-2012, 11:34 PM
NKG are good plugs. Should be a simple job, make sure you gap them properly though. Not sure what your FSM says but I think I'm at .040" which is a little under my factory .045" but I'm also taking into account that I'm boosting now and using colder plugs.

Blue Meanie
04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
It was my understanding that you should NOT gap the NGKs, especially the Iridiums because you'll mess up the surface and they come gapped.

Jagular1785
04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Maybe so on the iridium plugs. Not on the ones I use, so I guess YRMV.

TBone
04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Well I went ahead and didn't mess with the gaps. I tested a few at the store and they were correct. The gaps are .03 though, not sure what my stocks were because I didn't have a gauge at home. The plugs I pulled looked mighty worn though. Also, my manual doesn't say what gap should be, just what plug to run. In all it was a good learning exp doing it myself. My buddy helped out but he was shocked by the pancake motor set-up and how tight it fits in there.

I might just be excited about it but the motor feels to pull harder and smoother. Hopefully MPG will go up too.