PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite tire company

Hydrolix
12-27-2011, 01:51 PM
I still think that for a super high-performance almost race tire like street tire, the Dunlop Star Specs are the best tire you can buy. That said, over this last year I have learned the following

Hankook is a serious competitor in all tire categories.

First, the RS-3. This is their summer super tire. It is not as good as the Dunlop, but it is so close that the difference is probably negligible for all but the most aggressive drivers. The RS-3 is also considerably less expensive than the Dunlop, so it may end up being my race tire of choice in the future.

Second, the K110 EVO. This is the "normal guy" summer tire. I ran them on the STi this year because I knew I would not be autoXing it and I wanted something with a bit better tire wear than the RS-3s (180) or the Dunlops (200). These have a 280 wear rating, and they are amazing. Both dry and wet they stuck to the road like glue. Even in the pouring rain with standing water on the road they felt strong and moving water used to upset the dunlops badly at highway speeds.

Third the I-cept winter tire. This model (I believe) is replacing the I-pike. I put them on a few weeks ago and once again I'm blown away by how good Hankook tires are. They stick well in both rain and dry and while I can't yet speak on their snow traction they have otherwise been amazing. I had to make a high-speed lane change under acceleration VERY quickly this weekend while traveling due to what I can only expect was someone with a death wish's behavior on the hwy. I made the maneuver easily and without an ounce of tire squeal.

Lastly, given that Hankook beats the competition cost wise at every price point (sometimes they are dramatically less) they have moved into my number one slot for a tire company.

Summary, Hankook is the least expensive and most impressive tire company on the market.

(on a side note, I've also discovered they are the world's largest tire company).

stinole
12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm getting the RS3's soon. Everything I've read on them says they are very good, even on par with the Star Specs. Grassroots Motorsports did a comparison on summer tires. With the lower price, I can't say no to the RS3's.

timsti
12-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Thoughts on real race tires? Hankook Ventus Z214 versus Kumho Ecsta V710? I current run 275/40/17 Kumho, but these are shot and would be interested in trying the Hankooks at $85 less a tire. ($287 versus $202 per tire or there abouts). What is the difference in weight? Current set-up on 17x9.5 Advan RS is super light weight and I wouldn't want to lose that. Thanks. Regardless I'll get a set of those RS-3s from you in the spring for my regular summer wheels - lots of good comments about those last year at Heartland Park.

CZ03WRX
12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Thoughts on real race tires? Hankook Ventus Z214 versus Kumho Ecsta V710? I current run 275/40/17 Kumho, but these are shot and would be interested in trying the Hankooks at $85 less a tire. ($287 versus $202 per tire or there abouts). What is the difference in weight? Current set-up on 17x9.5 Advan RS is super light weight and I wouldn't want to lose that. Thanks. Regardless I'll get a set of those RS-3s from you in the spring for my regular summer wheels - lots of good comments about those last year at Heartland Park.

O.O what did you have to do to run a 275? and what's your offset?

BoostAddict
12-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Great review.. This will definitely play a factor when its time for another set.

Hydrolix
12-27-2011, 06:12 PM

I'd have to check, but if their race tires are as good as their street tires I'd say you would likely have a contender. I know that with some of the AutoX guys they prefer the kumho A serious (as opposed to the V series) because they are specifically designed for autoX in that they heat up fast. If you are looking for track day tires, I'd say it would be well worth it to give the Hankooks a try.

Oh, and I can get any of these for any of you guys who are local probably cheaper than you can get them elsewhere.

TheArchitect
12-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Agreed - I've run the R-S3s and the V12 Evos and had good results with both. Ran the R-S3 this past year at the track on my RX-8 and really liked the tire a lot. I run consistent lap times at Heartland Park, Hallett, and MAM, and shaved around 2 seconds per lap off my best time at all three tracks. Running on lighter wheels as well, so that helped, but a lot of it was down to that tire just being ridiculously sticky, having nice big stiff tread blocks, decent heat tolerance (not great, not bad), and reasonably stiff shoulders that still manage to ride well on the street. Ran the V12s in 2010, and they weren't as good for the track obviously, but great for street. Have heard good things about their r-comps as well, but no personal experience. Their stuff seems solid, though.

Debating now about what to go with for 2012's track season - another set of R-S3s, Nitto NT-05s, or back to r-comps. Might be worth trying their r-comps to see how they do. Saw some Elises on the Z214s at MAM at the last event of the year, but one stayed on the trailer and the other wasn't being driven well, so couldn't really get much info. Given my experience thus far with their other tires, though, I wouldn't shy away from trying them.

dukenukem
12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
My observations regarding the R-S3

1. They can withstand ridiculous amounts of heat before they get greasy. I did track day in Dallas where the air temp was 100+F and even at the end of our 20 min sessions there would be almost no greasiness to them. They wore exceptionally well as well.

2. Once the roads get cold they have pretty much no grip whatsoever. They hold up pretty well in the wet but not the cold.

3. They are loud. Way louder than the RE-01R I had before but at half the price of the RE-11 I think I will manage just fine with the stereo turned up a bit louder.

TAILWAG
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
The thing about tires and cars is that you cannot compare the same tire and how they perform on one car and apply it to another car. For example, I had the V12evos on 2 of my cars and was amazed at how well they performed overall. When it was time to get replacement tires for my 911, they were simply put, horrible. The sidewalls on the evo are quite soft which would work "ok" on the majority of smaller, lighter cars (miatas, s2000, elise, etc...). On cars that have a tremendous amount of weight, especially on the rear (ie: 911tt), and that have extremely stiff settings as far as suspension goes, they are going to act horribly.

It will also depend on YOUR specific driving characteristics. Some people that are a little more aggressive might favor a tire with slightly softer tire wall - some people that shiver every time the car is slightly off line or unstable, probably would favor a much stiffer tire while compromising grip.

I currently have NT05s on my Z06 and I am quite happy with them. That is not to say these tires will work great on my 911tt.

Every car is different. Some people like Nike's, some like pumas...hell, even some out there like fila's (go figure)...LOL.

Hydrolix
12-28-2011, 12:12 PM
The EVOs are a great street driving tire for most applications, but I don't think I'd ever put them on a Porsche :D I've run them on both 17 and 18 inch wheels. They work better on the 18s due to the softer sidewall, but still are great on my STi. They are a great street tire that you can fling around, but I don't think I'd take them to a track day.

20sti05
12-28-2011, 12:39 PM
i like seeing all you guys like the rs3. im running them on my STi(245 40 18 ), but since i just got them last summer and my motor shot craps before i could really lay into them on a corner, i have not got to experience how well these are. i think i only put 200 miles on my summer setup. cant wait to actually test them out.

compro
12-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I have been riding Hankook since I was, 17. I love them and have always believed them comparable to Michelin in performance.

alexfromop
02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Where can I find these? I called Shore and they said only certain dealers stock them. Does anyone know anyone local who stocks them? I'd rather not use TireRack.

dukenukem
02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Where can I find these? I called Shore and they said only certain dealers stock them. Does anyone know anyone local who stocks them? I'd rather not use TireRack.
PM Hydrolix

tehspettro
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a set of BFgoodrich G force TKWs on my car, and they have worn surprisingly fast. they grip very very well in both wet and dry conditions, but the wear rate is untolerable. I think I may get starspecs to run this summer.

Scooby24
02-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I have the hankook i*cept evo's on my STI and I must agree, they are great tires. They drive and handle like an all season in the dry. I haven't had much experience in the snow yet, but on the one day we had a dusting they did very well.

dukenukem
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I have a set of BFgoodrich G force TKWs on my car, and they have worn surprisingly fast. they grip very very well in both wet and dry conditions, but the wear rate is untolerable. I think I may get starspecs to run this summer.

You still aren't learning from this thread.

tehspettro
02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
how so? i dont like the look of the hankooks, I know its sounds very dumb and silly , but I like the aggressive looking tread on the Star specs, I also really liked the looks of the TKW's but it hasnt even been a year yet and the tread is about done.
plus i will get the starspecs because I drive my car like i stole it.

dukenukem
02-09-2012, 04:36 PM
how so? i dont like the look of the hankooks, I know its sounds very dumb and silly , but I like the aggressive looking tread on the Star specs, I also really liked the looks of the TKW's but it hasnt even been a year yet and the tread is about done.
plus i will get the starspecs because I drive my car like i stole it.

You also wanted to buy JDM tires to be unique.

tehspettro
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
is that a bad thing? PS: lets not derail this thread with bullsh*t ;)

dukenukem
02-09-2012, 04:55 PM
is that a bad thing? PS: lets not derail this thread with bullsh*t ;)

Running on non DOT legal tires is a great idea.

tehspettro
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Running on non DOT legal tires is a great idea.

they were the same tyres that came stock on the ferrari enzo as well as the R35's

and yes its great running on non- DOT legal tyres, I highly recommend it.

stinole
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Here are the two treads. They seem quite similar to poor folk like myself.

http://www.savastire.com/uploads/hk_z222_f_293.png

http://image.modified.com/f/16855775/modp_0906_23+performance_tire_buyers_guide+dunlop_ direzza_sport_z1_star_spec.jpg

BoostAddict
04-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Just bought a set of K110 EVO. Great thread!