PDA

View Full Version : Yay or Nay?

05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
I drove it today, pretty damn good shape. Buy or no buy? I cant go all the way to the end of my senior year driving an explorer, I will die not being able to do anything fun car related..

Description:
3900 bucks takes it home. Come make money off of it.

This car could probably be parted out or resold for a profit, my loss is your gain. Please PM me or call at 913 526 6118 anytime.

I've got to sell my Mustang to fund a vacation. I have literally thousands and thousands of dollars worth of receipts and the car is mechanically strong. Transmission does not grind or whine, rear end is silent, motor has no knock, smoke, or oil consumption. Motor builds lots of oil pressure.

It's a maroon 87 lx hatch. Could be a nice car with some body work, the cowl is dented, the hood doesn't match well, and the hatch/drivers side door has some rust. I'll be selling it with two rust free doors and a rust free hatch. It was repainted by Maaco but rather poorly (obviously lol), the paint is flaking and chipped in some areas.

The interior is nice (black/grey) with leather new edge GT seats.

I've got timeslips showing it is capable of 113mph all motor. With a gear change, longtubes, and a victor junior intake this car will move. Put some big heads on it and you'll have a fast car. The tune on the car is close but could use a bit of re-jetting at part throttle and idle. Very drivable though, I cruise it to work (15 miles) a few times a week.

Power steering, heat, and A/C are still in place but the A/C is missing a line or two.

Clean and clear title in my name.

Parts (I have receipts for almost everything including rotating assembly purchase and assembly):

Motor:

347 Stroker (10:1 Eagle Kit)
Stock block
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads w/ 2.02/1.60 valves
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Holley 750 carb.
Comp XE274 Cam
Shorty headers
Offroad H-Pipe
Flowmaster Cat-back w/ tail pipes!
MSD 6AL ignition
Optima red-top
Holley Blue Fuel Pump
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Edelbrock valve-covers

Transmission/rear end:

Freshly rebuilt T5 (shifts great)
Pro 5.0 shifter
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch (holds great)
Adjustable Clutch Quadrant
Fresh 8.8 with 3.73 gear
Aluminum Driveshaft

Suspension/Wheels/Tires:

Lowering springs
Unknown after-market shocks/struts (ride nicely)
Chrome Cobra R's in staggered 18x8 and 17x8 (I am including the four all season tires and two worn MH drag radials)
Full length weld in sub-frame connectors

Interior:

Aftermarket front and rear speakers (I believe they are Alpine)
Leather seats out of new edge Mustang GT
Auto-meter Monster Tach
Auto-meter Coolant Temp
Auto-meter Oil Pressure Gauge
Aftermarket Alarm
White face gauges (interesting story about these though lol)

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w107/jfreeman223/Mustang/100_1317.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w107/jfreeman223/Mustang/100_1315-1.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w107/jfreeman223/Mustang/100_1312.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w107/jfreeman223/Mustang/100_0454.jpg

don's scoob
05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I vote nay. just not a big fan of the mustakes. I say save your money and get a Scoobaru. Just hold out, good things come to those who wait. :thumbleft:

summerandjoe
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I vote nay. just not a big fan of the mustakes. I say save your money and get a Scoobaru. Just hold out, good things come to those who wait. :thumbleft:

+1. you "can't" drive and explorer for free, but you "can" pay for that? :? if you really have your heart set on a subaru, you would be headed in the wrong direction by buying that.

kc FXT
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I would probably skip this one.

Pros: looks cool, probably "pretty fast", stands out in a crowd

Cons: stands out in a crowd, will likely be parked anytime it rains or snows, probably has had the hell thrashed out of it. still a mustang.....

I say drive the free explorer and save money for something cool (WRX or STI)

05-13-2008, 07:29 PM
everyone has good points...

Edit: I just want a car that I can have fun with. I was thinking STi at the end of my senior year(next year) which is a ways away. I dont want to have only the explorer that long..I cant do anything fun with it like race/I 70 events/any car meets, or play with the engine or anything. :x

summerandjoe
05-13-2008, 09:09 PM
there's alot better cars you could get for ~$4k. if you really want an sti, then save that $4k and wait. there will be plenty of events to do next year. wait for what you really want, don't just settle on something cuz it's there.

kc FXT
05-13-2008, 09:18 PM
immediate gratification vs. waiting for what you really want

waiting can suck, but if you plan it right it's worth it.

jwbamber
05-13-2008, 10:10 PM
I vote ya because for 3900 thats not bad at all and you will be able to keep up with sti with a 5.0 mustang and beat most wrxs. if you want a wrx or sti you will have to save for a long time. You will have instant gratification with the mustang and who knows after your done with it part it and put the money towards the suby, because i guaranteee that you wont be able to find any wrx/stis/impreza/any suby in as good condition as that for 3900.

05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
I vote ya because for 3900 thats not bad at all and you will be able to keep up with sti with a 5.0 mustang and beat most wrxs. if you want a wrx or sti you will have to save for a long time. You will have instant gratification with the mustang and who knows after your done with it part it and put the money towards the suby, because i guaranteee that you wont be able to find any wrx/stis/impreza/any suby in as good condition as that for 3900.

+1 thats the way I see it, and its not like I wont be able to re sell it. The car is worth alot more than 3900...I could buy it, and then go sell it for 4500 w/o touching it.

scooby_rex
05-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd say nay, but then again I've got my wrx LOL

I'd also wonder why there was no mention of mileage for any parts, seems kinda weird to me

oh and $3.69/gal for 87 oct

05-13-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd say nay, but then again I've got my wrx LOL

I'd also wonder why there was no mention of mileage for any parts, seems kinda weird to me

oh and $3.69/gal for 87 oct

gas prices really dont matter to me b/c I started riding my bike everywhere when gas got to about 3.10/gal :lol: I try to limit my self to a tank of gas a month, but it usually ends up being about 1 1/2 - 2 tanks a month.

95imprezaL
05-14-2008, 12:42 AM
i dont know what to tell you man i have always been a fan of the old school small block stuff never been a big fan of mustangs (evryone has one) you should look for a decent wrx or even an impreza my l is by no means fast but it handles pretty damn good and i only paid 475 for my car (auto auction :) ) i would say nay awd is amazing

95imprezaL
05-14-2008, 12:44 AM
oh and unless you put a really nice set of drag raidials on there you will never keep up with an st iyou will just burn the tires to hell speaking from experience

Legacy
05-14-2008, 01:06 AM
So, you have a bike too? If you have a bike you drive everywhere, then why do you need a fast car too?

You are young man. I didn't have a fast car to mess with until I was 23. Keep what you got, especially cuz its free, and save for what you want later.

VF34RX
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
So, you have a bike too? If you have a bike you drive everywhere, then why do you need a fast car too?

You are young man. I didn't have a fast car to mess with until I was 23. Keep what you got, especially cuz its free, and save for what you want later.

+1
Its so much better to have a car you can depend on (not the mustang) and not make payments till you can get what you want. Like joe said You dont want to put yourself in something because its there. Just be patient you dont need anything right now. Just save your money and get what you want in a year.

816lucas
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM

+1
Its so much better to have a car you can depend on (not the mustang) and not make payments till you can get what you want. Like joe said You dont want to put yourself in something because its there. Just be patient you dont need anything right now. Just save your money and get what you want in a year.

+1
this is what will happen. You will find the subaru of YOUR DREAMS, but you can't find anyone to buy the mustang. So you will lose out on your subaru, which I am missing, cause you had to be "cool" in HS. Trust me. The day the last bell rings on your senior year is the last time you have to worry about being cool. Cause in the real world you have to think about things that will benefit you in the long run. Take the advice from most of the guys on here. Don't get me wrong the 5.0 is nice, but you know its not what you want.

SummerB
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
If you have 4K already saved or spoken for on your behalf, I say keep the money and save up for something that you really want, not something that's second choice (or even lower than that).

You are young and you are going to make a decision with or without our input. It sounds as if you already have your mind made up...

I know from my personal experience that good things come to those who wait. I was trying to get out of my Durango to get ANYTHING because I am sick of the gas-guzzling beast. After much thought, I stayed with my car because I know when I actually have the money saved up, and I'm less upside-down on my Durango, then I will get the car that I really want.

I say wait. Why go from a crappy car to another crappy car just because you are sick of that crappy car? You are still going to be mad in a month or two.

jwbamber
05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
to that subaru story tell me where you are going to find a 4000 subie that will look better than that mustang??? He might find one but not one of his dreams for that price and you can always sell a mustang in kansas city theres always someone!

SummerB
05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
to that subaru story tell me where you are going to find a 4000 subie that will look better than that mustang??? He might find one but not one of his dreams for that price and you can always sell a mustang in kansas city theres always someone!

He never said that Kyle would fine a Subie for $4K... he said that he will get the car (Mustang), then find the car of his dreams and not be able to sell that Mustang.

Most may think that it would be easy to sell a Mustang here in Red-Neck Midwest, but I doubt it is. Joe's EVO was SICK and he ended up selling it to someone in Michigan, and it took a lot longer than expected.

816lucas
05-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Whats a 4000 subie?

05-14-2008, 05:05 PM
lol why did i ask you guys!! Even though this is prob the best advise I will get, its always advise I dont like to hear. :x I am just used to fast cars, and cant do w/o a fast car for a year. Its seriously that hard for me...If I buy this car I will still be able to afford another car that I actually really want(like an STi) when I get to the end of my senior year, and I was also thinking my parents will give me a few bucks when I graduate. Its not like I dont like this car, I think it is VERY badass, and I have never personally owned a v8/muscle car. My dad has had them all from chevelles to 280z turbos, and I just want to explore both areas of cars. Cause so far in my life I have only delt with turbo'd 4 cyls..Can anyone see where I am coming from? I don't think this car is a piece, its actually really F'ing nice for an 87, and its insanly cheap for the condish and what all is done to it..I have not made up my mind totally yet for this one, b/c I am considering what everyone has said, and this is making my decision alot harder. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ps. please dont ban me if i buy this car :D

05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
well looks like my parents made the decision for me..1 thing to say:

FUCK YOU MOM AND DAD

scooby_rex
05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
well looks like my parents made the decision for me..1 thing to say:

F#$#@& YOU MOM AND DAD

you know they're just doing what they think is best for you

I will say I'd be hesitant to let either of my boys have a muscle car when they were still in high school (I know how I would have driven when I was in HS)

I'd bet if you really want a new car you could find an outback or forester for around that price (yes it would be a 2.5L and not turboed), but you'd at least get to play with a subie and learn the boxer

05-14-2008, 09:38 PM
It was mostly my mom, she said I have transportation(explorer) and I dont need anything else, and she said we will see how I act this summer and we will see how my senior year grades are.

The thing I dont understand is when we drove it yesterday, she rode along in the back seat with me and the owner of the car. And at first the owner was driving and I was like lets see what this thing can do, and of course he went WOT like a crazy mother F'r with my mom in the back seat. And she was really scared, but she was liked it alot and was asking all these stupid questions like what is a 347? Whats headers? Then I got to drive it and went WOT like crazy also and she was laughing and thought it was really fun. Then she was like you would really like that car, and that would be really fun for you this summer, and i was thinking no shit mom, and the owner was like yeah theres alot of people that want to buy it but dont have the money, and then my mom said well kyle has more than enough right now in his bank. And she was pretty much giving extreme hints that she liked the car, but then she decided today that we will see how I act this summer and determine if i can get another car into my senior year..fuck that

VF34RX
05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
go mom. :lol: She got to have fun and still shut you down. :lol: It is good though that she made that decision. It really is best that you save now and get something much much better later. Plus what are your plans after high school? going to college? living on campus? getting an apt.? being a loser and live off your parents till your 30? I know you haven't put much thought into how much those things cost.