PDA

View Full Version : 3 Quote Limit

WRXNFX
08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Do we like it?

like:

Keeps threads from getting really long.
Requires you read back through older posts instead of just moving to the end.

dislike:

Requires you read back through older posts instead of just moving to the end. :wink:
Requires you open old PM's to see what price you quoted a guy on SS brake lines 2 PM's ago. :(
Editting replies to remove the 4th quote. :(

I am not really bashing the idea, just kind of brain storming.

Justin 05 Sti
08-25-2009, 11:33 AM
I like it. Keeps threads clean, especially when pictures are involved (that get quoted over and over again for no reason).

paper_tiger
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
As much fun as quote pyramids can be, really they are not needed. Hell 3 is even generous.

WRXNFX
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I like it. Keeps threads clean, especially when pictures are involved (that get quoted over and over again for no reason).

I agree.
http://kcsubaru.com/download/file.php?avatar=114.gif

Justin 05 Sti
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree.

If you don't like avatars:

User Control Panel
Board Preferences tab
Edit display options

and turn 'em off. :wink:

scooby_rex
08-26-2009, 12:44 AM
there isnt a reason to keep quotes in PMs anymore, you can view the string (as long as the title doesnt change)

in a thread it could be annoying, but Im not sure if there's really a reason for having to quote that much

.. could be a right-left brain thingy, too

TunedAlready02
08-26-2009, 01:42 AM
all i want is for outgoing links to open in a new tab or window.

paper_tiger
08-26-2009, 07:55 AM

Yes please.

VF34RX
08-26-2009, 07:58 AM

Yes please.
THIS.

Justin 05 Sti
08-26-2009, 07:59 AM

Can you not right click the links and have it act as you please?

DevXTech
08-26-2009, 09:22 AM

Yes please.
THIS.

This feature was removed from PHPbb by the PHPbb group due to its lack of forming to the latest web standards. As far as I know there isn't any plans to bring it back nor have I found any web standard compliant modifications that bring back this functionality.

As per the original topic of the 3 quote limit. PMs now have a history feature so as long as the PM topic title stays the same you can view the PM history below the message you are viewing. Now in forum posts, how often do people go over 3 quotes? If needed this amount can be increased seperately from the amount allowed in PMs.

WRXNFX
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I agree.

If you don't like avatars:

User Control Panel
Board Preferences tab
Edit display options

and turn 'em off. :wink:

No that wasn't the joke. I was quoting and posting a pic, then I was figureing someone would get it and quote it and then it would be a multi quote of the same pic like you said you hated..

Joke fail.. :?

Just hazing you man.

Justin 05 Sti
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Joke fail.. :?

Indeed. You should know by now my sense of humor is broken... :lol:

Just4fuN
08-26-2009, 03:32 PM

I agree.

Here you go, Jeff. You owe me one.

TunedAlready02
08-26-2009, 04:06 PM

I agree.

what? :lol:

Just4fuN
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I agree.

He should've picked a bigger picture. :P

dfnkt
08-26-2009, 04:45 PM
This feature was removed from PHPbb by the PHPbb group due to its lack of forming to the latest web standards. As far as I know there isn't any plans to bring it back nor have I found any web standard compliant modifications that bring back this functionality.

As per the original topic of the 3 quote limit. PMs now have a history feature so as long as the PM topic title stays the same you can view the PM history below the message you are viewing. Now in forum posts, how often do people go over 3 quotes? If needed this amount can be increased seperately from the amount allowed in PMs.

I've found a knowledge base article from the phpBB devs that outlines steps needed to enable this functionality in phpBB 3.0. The mod itself looks very simple however the article doesn't mention if you need to bring the site offline to perform the mods.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/ (http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-opening-new-windows/)

The article states at the bottom that this is not retroactive and will not go back and fix links already present in posts but will make any new links (or links from old posts which get resubmitted) open in a tab/window (get off IE 6). We've established the fact that the site has solid workable backups in place, I would say this is a no brainer if there is enough demand for it.

Edit: Talked to a webdev that I work with and he said that as long as the files being modified end in .php and not .ini that the forum doesn't need to be taken down.

DevXTech
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM

I've found a knowledge base article from the phpBB devs that outlines steps needed to enable this functionality in phpBB 3.0. The mod itself looks very simple however the article doesn't mention if you need to bring the site offline to perform the mods.

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-o ... w-windows/ (http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links-opening-new-windows/)

The article states at the bottom that this is not retroactive and will not go back and fix links already present in posts but will make any new links (or links from old posts which get resubmitted) open in a tab/window (get off IE 6). We've established the fact that the site has solid workable backups in place, I would say this is a no brainer if there is enough demand for it.

Edit: Talked to a webdev that I work with and he said that as long as the files being modified end in .php and not .ini that the forum doesn't need to be taken down.

I have seen that solution, however; it's not web standards compliant. Aside from the compliance issue it also doesn't distinguish between links that are external to the side and those that are internal to the site. So basically any link that gets posted will open in a new window. In my professional opinion this is a bad way to handle processing links. For one not everyone wants links to open in a new window all the time.

dfnkt
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM

I have seen that solution, however; it's not web standards compliant. Aside from the compliance issue it also doesn't distinguish between links that are external to the side and those that are internal to the site. So basically any link that gets posted will open in a new window. In my professional opinion this is a bad way to handle processing links. For one not everyone wants links to open in a new window all the time.

I get the standard compliance thing, I really do, I deal with compliance (in a different form) every day. The only issue is that 95% of the people here don't care. Just giving my 2 cents on the issue, I agree also to a point that it isn't broken so there is no need to fix it. There is always a fine line between a nice functional site and a great user experience. I have always been a CTRL clicker so the links not opening a new tab/window is fine for me, they open in a new tab anyway because I use CTRL.

DevXTech
08-26-2009, 07:53 PM

I get the standard compliance thing, I really do, I deal with compliance (in a different form) every day. The only issue is that 95% of the people here don't care. Just giving my 2 cents on the issue, I agree also to a point that it isn't broken so there is no need to fix it. There is always a fine line between a nice functional site and a great user experience. I have always been a CTRL clicker so the links not opening a new tab/window is fine for me, they open in a new tab anyway because I use CTRL.

**Statement retracted** This has been taken to PM. My apologies to you Dfnkt if my statement in anyway felt disrespectful.

Anyway this is a different topic than the original so I think we can leave it at that or a new post can be started for this discussion.

WRXNFX
08-27-2009, 12:24 AM

Yep

myveryown07
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
why can't people just get on the board and just use it everybody has to have something special they like. its starting to get old :roll:

Just4fuN
08-31-2009, 10:49 PM
why can't people just get on the board and just use it everybody has to have something special they like. its starting to get old :roll:

I really want confetti to fall from the ceiling every time I log in. :roll: :lol:

scooby_rex
09-01-2009, 12:36 AM

I really want confetti to fall from the ceiling every time I log in. :roll: :lol:

I would like automatic grammar police enabled on every post, too :P

it's always good to have suggestions coming, it's the only way to improve something. If no one suggested anything then how are you supposed to improve?

on a side note, if it's really that important to quote more than three times, you can just hack the code a bit and make it do what you want ;)

*yes it takes excessive amts of typing to do this, but if you're that set on multiple quotes...

"Just4fuN"I really want confetti to fall from the ceiling every time I log in. :roll: :lol:"/Just4fuN"

"Just4fuN"I really want confetti to fall from the ceiling every time I log in. :roll: :lol:"/Just4fuN"

TunedAlready02
09-01-2009, 12:45 AM
on top of that my complaint was for something that has always existed until the new forums. it has been discussed in private and apparently isnt going to change for reasons that only the ruler of kcsubaru can explain. we came to that decision a few days ago, thanks for bringing it back up tho.

Just4fuN
09-01-2009, 12:46 AM
All this quoting... I feel like a celebrity!

Lunger
09-01-2009, 06:16 PM
on top of that my complaint was for something that has always existed until the new forums. it has been discussed in private and apparently isnt going to change for reasons that only the ruler of kcsubaru can explain. we came to that decision a few days ago, thanks for bringing it back up tho.

So what is it that I can help explain?

TunedAlready02
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM

So what is it that I can help explain?

pm'd