PDA

View Full Version : WTB Thule or Yakima Rack setup

irishink
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm moving back to the Pacific Northwest this October and am in the market for a rack setup for my 03 WRX wagon to help with the move. I'm driving out with a buddy and my dog so the more room I can spare inside the better.

trucker922
08-21-2009, 09:36 PM
did cseaman sell his yet???? it is in the for sale section on his part out i think...not sure.

irishink
08-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah his is in there. I figured he had already deployed though. I guess I could call and see huh. :idea:

NoAffiliationSTi
08-22-2009, 08:16 AM
if he has sold his, MKC can get it quick

TunedAlready02
08-22-2009, 09:04 AM
looks like dan bought the one off chris

cseaman
08-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Dan bought mine. BikeSource in OP and BikeStop in Blue Springs both carry Thule.

rookrex
08-23-2009, 04:51 PM
I have a Thule roof rack that was on my mazda protege that I'd be interested in selling. It has the Q towers though so If you've done the roof rail delete on your wagon it would work great, you would just need new feet but if not you may want to just buy the parts that connect directly the the wagon roof rail.

paper_tiger
08-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Unless you are stuck on Thule or Yakima you could always go with the OEM version that mounts onto the Aero bars?

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/prod ... ucts_id=92 (https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_47&products_id=92)
*This is what I am ordering unless I find reason not to do so.*

Crispy
08-24-2009, 03:51 PM
I have a Thule roof rack that was on my mazda protege that I'd be interested in selling. It has the Q towers though so If you've done the roof rail delete on your wagon it would work great, you would just need new feet but if not you may want to just buy the parts that connect directly the the wagon roof rail.

If Irish doesn't take you up on this then I'd be interested. I'm currently looking for a rack as well.

irishink
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I've got the factory rails still. So the Q towers won't work for me. I never thought of going OEM...thanx for the heads up.

rookrex
08-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I've got the factory rails still. So the Q towers won't work for me. I never thought of going OEM...thanx for the heads up.

You can also buy Yakima and Thule feet that attach to the roof rails so you have move options with the rails, plus they look better too with the fairing on the front 8) . The OEM rails are super wide and flat and getting cheap trays like rocky mounts to fit that would be kinda tough too. Just my $0.02 :)

Crispy, I'll PM you some pictures of my rack when i get a chance to take some. Probably next week though I'm out of town all weekend.

paper_tiger
08-25-2009, 10:24 PM

You can also buy Yakima and Thule feet that attach to the roof rails so you have move options with the rails, plus they look better too with the fairing on the front 8) . The OEM rails are super wide and flat and getting cheap trays like rocky mounts to fit that would be kinda tough too. Just my $0.02 :)

Crispy, I'll PM you some pictures of my rack when i get a chance to take some. Probably next week though I'm out of town all weekend.

I would like to see this as well since I am still looking at my options with the bike rack.

Crispy
08-26-2009, 08:10 AM

Sounds like a plan. That'll give Irish a chance to figure out what he wants to do and take a first grab at it if he wants it.

Any accessories you're wanting to get rid of with it, or just the towers and load bars?

irishink
08-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Crispy- Go ahead and snatch it up. The OEM setup is perfect for what I need, so I'm just going to go with that. Thanx guys!

rookrex
08-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I know that for the wagon rails you can use the Yakima Lowrider or Railgrab Feet/Towers (whatever you want to call them.)
A set up would cost a little bit more than the OEM route from subarugenuineparts but you'll have a little bit better gear and you can get better racks and a wider variety of attachments :wink: .

I'm guessing that just the rack would cost roughly $90 more than the OEM crossbars, but then you can buy used trays and hopefully save some money there 8) . I also prefer the look of the aftermarket rack but that's totally your call.

Thule has a similar set-up too, I believe that the feet are called the 400xt or something.

[Any accessories you're wanting to get rid of with it, or just the towers and load bars?

I have a fairing (the wind deflector on the front) and two bike trays. One is a Rockymounts and the other is a kick ass Thule tray that fits bikes with disc brakes.

I'll get some pictures next week. I gotta pack!

Crispy
08-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Sounds like the kind of setup I've been wanting to get, so looking forward to seeing it. Let me know if you have a price in mind.