PDA

View Full Version : Gauge install help

AWD Bishop
05-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Currently in my car I have a prosport boost and EGT gauge installed. I bought a set of Defi Boost and EGT gauges to upgrade. Well, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to installing these gauges. I have taken out my Prosport gauges because they bugged me but I need help installing the new Defi gauges. I know that there are at least some of you who have installed gauges and I was hoping that one of you could help me install my new ones. I looked to see if maybe I could just splice into the Prosports wiring instead of rewiring everything but couldn't figure it out.

So, can anyone help a brotha out?

Blue Meanie
05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm sort of in the same spot but have kind of figured it out (theoretically) so I'll bet we can get it done together :)

KSwrxWAGON
05-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Don't splice the wires for the EGT. It'll mess up the resistance and your gauge won't read correctly. Is your Defi boost gauge mechanical? If so, it should be pretty straight forward to use the same wiring as the Prosport setup.

I hate wiring inside of cars. That's why I took that car to LSS when the Prosports were originally installed :P

AWD Bishop
05-26-2011, 11:41 PM
I have no idea. I didn't find 2 different kinds of racer boost gauges. there was only one choice in this particular style. I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to but I may not have a choice on this one. electrical is not my strong suit and I have a bad feeling I would screw something up.

bigboy
05-27-2011, 07:22 AM
what style of DEFI gauges did you get???

if needed...did you get the DEFI controller???<-----this depends on what style of gauges you got!

AWD Bishop
05-27-2011, 08:26 AM
I got the red racer series so no controller needed. I looked at the other versions and didn't want to go with the controller as well so the Racer series were my best option. So, these should hook up in a similar fashion to how my Prosports were (I am guessing.) I am just no good at that stuff and knowing my luck, I would royally screw something up if I tried to tackle it myself.

bigboy
05-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I got the red racer series so no controller needed. I looked at the other versions and didn't want to go with the controller as well so the Racer series were my best option. So, these should hook up in a similar fashion to how my Prosports were (I am guessing.) I am just no good at that stuff and knowing my luck, I would royally screw something up if I tried to tackle it myself.

correct...they SHOULD wire up just like your old gauges!

AWD Bishop
05-27-2011, 11:30 AM

correct...they SHOULD wire up just like your old gauges!

Possibly but the wiring harness on each are different and I'm not sure it if the fuses, block and everything else are a match. Plus the connectors are different so the wiring would have to be spliced. Just out of my comfort zone and these gauges are too pricy to mess with. thats why I want some who has wired up gauges before to help \ do ti for me

bigboy
05-27-2011, 12:27 PM
i totally understand that....if i was local i would help out...

AWD Bishop
05-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, in doing some searching, I may have found some very good instructions on installing the Defi gauges. I will post them here for anyones interest:

The 1st of these links seem to be the most helpful in the actual install

Gauge install for Subaru Impreza WRX STi
http://homepage.mac.com/jsalicru/GaugesHowTo.html

Defi wiring
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/concept/images/concept-install.pdf

Defi Installation
http://www.defi-shop.com/product/dg/dg_install.html

After reading these, I feel much more confident in actually doing this but I think it will be best to start from scratch then trying to use the existing wiring done for the prosport gauges.

bigboy
05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
:cheers:

AWD Bishop
05-27-2011, 03:54 PM
my thoughts exactly...

AWD Bishop
05-28-2011, 04:49 PM
So, went ahead and bought an autometer 3 pod dash pod from Hydrolix:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/atm-20018_w.jpg

I wnet this route because it is lower profile than the Autometer or Defi with the hood (which I like) and also it is angled towards the driver which is what I wanted if I was going to go with a dash pod. In addition to the Defi Boost and EGT gauges, I also bought a digital clock gauge to replace my current clock:
http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!ByVt9VgCWk~$(KGrHqN,!icEw5rOJeqNBMRR2FkDY!~~_12.J PG

I hate the stock clock, so this gave me an excuse to replace it. I found some good DIY installs (2 posts up) and I feel more confident in doing this, so I am just going to start from scratch on the wiring and see how it goes. Only issue I can foresee at the moment is that the current EGT sensor, from what I was told, is much smaller than the ones that come with the Defi, so I might have to have someone redo the hole in the headers where the current sensor is or have it welded in. I guess we will see.

bigboy
05-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Do u have to screw that into the dash????

AWD Bishop
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
I believe that all line up with the current clock pod holes under the stock clock pod. That is the impressions I got from the couple of DIY I found. Regardless, even if I do have to put in new holes, they would be hidden if I ever went back to stock, so not worried about it either way.

NoAffiliationSTi
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
If you need helping wiring up or have questions let me know.... went to school for electrical stuff and only use it on hobby stuff, LOL

Its pretty basic if you understand it, wiring isn't as scary as everyone thinks.

AWD Bishop
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I might take you up on it if I get lost in the DIY I have found.

Thanks

myveryown07
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
So, went ahead and bought an autometer 3 pod dash pod from Hydrolix:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/atm-20018_w.jpg

I wnet this route because it is lower profile than the Autometer or Defi with the hood (which I like) and also it is angled towards the driver which is what I wanted if I was going to go with a dash pod. In addition to the Defi Boost and EGT gauges, I also bought a digital clock gauge to replace my current clock:
http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!ByVt9VgCWk~$(KGrHqN,!icEw5rOJeqNBMRR2FkDY!~~_12.J PG

I hate the stock clock, so this gave me an excuse to replace it. I found some good DIY installs (2 posts up) and I feel more confident in doing this, so I am just going to start from scratch on the wiring and see how it goes. Only issue I can foresee at the moment is that the current EGT sensor, from what I was told, is much smaller than the ones that come with the Defi, so I might have to have someone redo the hole in the headers where the current sensor is or have it welded in. I guess we will see.

i have one of those pods i would have given you for free lol...oh well too late

AWD Bishop
07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
DAMN!!! oh well. It's in now although the gauges are a little loose. I had to shave a little off on each hole and may have gone a bit too far.

bigboy
07-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Pics!!!

AWD Bishop
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Will do tonight...