PDA

View Full Version : Odd noise at low speeds?

Sidster
08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Total shot in the dark here, no idea if anyone know what this might be...

For the past few months I've noticed a really odd sound when I'm at very low speeds. I normally only hear it as I'm pulling into my garage or taking a right turn at a red light. It almost sounds like a popping or clicking noise on the back driver side of the car. My initial thoughts are possibly the suspension but I had no idea if anyone else has heard similar sounds.

Either way I'll probably have them do a checkup on everything when I take it in to get an oil change in the next month.

Edit: Ok I'm 99% sure its the suspension on the back driver side. Pushing down on the rear causes the slight popping noise I hear in the car. I don't know what would cause it...

scooby_rex
08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
its a common thing in STis (I believe), I think all that has to be done is have some grease put on the strut in the rear. If you're still under warranty, have the dealer fix you up :D

SubaSteve
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
rear sway bar? end links? just putting my two sense in. hope everything works out man.

Sidster
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Yea I need to have it in for a regular checkup at the dealer. At least now I've got a better idea of what to tell them to look for, thanks!

I've got the 6 year bumper to bumper warranty so I'm not too terribly worried. Its just an odd noise, haven't noticed and performance issues. Still annoys the hell out of you though when you know something isn't right!

ElScooby
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
My right rear strut is doing the famous clunk as well. It is driving me nuts! I need to make some time to repack the strut. If they cover it under warranty awesome.

PenguinSti
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
I had my rear struts replaced under extended warranty, they made the famous clunking...... :hal

Sidster
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Well Lee's Summit didn't have struts in stock so they'd have to order them. Then I was told something rather interesting about my warranty...

Rant starting...
Apparently I'm one of many poor schmucks who bought "portfolio" extended warranties from Jack Miller in North Kansas City. I just now found out that means I can only have warranty work done on my car at Jack Miller. If I go anywhere else, it has to be outside of 40 miles from Jack Miller to be covered under the warranty. The reason for this is that they lock me in and guarantee my business, keeping me from going to places like Lees Summit for work. Personally the fact that I was not informed of this at the time of purchase really pisses me off and puts a bad taste in my mouth. Seems underhanded that I wasn't told this at the time of the purchase...especially since they pushed it so damn hard. :evil:

That's something I won't forget and will be sure to inform anyone I know that is thinking of going to Jack Miller.

WRXNFX
08-08-2009, 07:37 PM
They are 27 miles apart.. :?

That is lame.

SubaSteve
08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Well Lee's Summit didn't have struts in stock so they'd have to order them. Then I was told something rather interesting about my warranty...

Rant starting...
Apparently I'm one of many poor schmucks who bought "portfolio" extended warranties from Jack Miller in North Kansas City. I just now found out that means I can only have warranty work done on my car at Jack Miller. If I go anywhere else, it has to be outside of 40 miles from Jack Miller to be covered under the warranty. The reason for this is that they lock me in and guarantee my business, keeping me from going to places like Lees Summit for work. Personally the fact that I was not informed of this at the time of purchase really pisses me off and puts a bad taste in my mouth. Seems underhanded that I wasn't told this at the time of the purchase...especially since they pushed it so damn hard. :evil:

That's something I won't forget and will be sure to inform anyone I know that is thinking of going to Jack Miller.
Man im not trying to dog at all but i hate when people talk bad about jack miller, because i have had a tranny replace, clutch, and rear diff with nooo problems at all. but i guess i understand were your coming from. IMO jack miller is a good place to get your car worked on. maybe im just the only person that has had good service. got to say man that does suck about the warranty issue. hope everything gets worked out.

Sidster
08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Man im not trying to dog at all but i hate when people talk bad about jack miller, because i have had a tranny replace, clutch, and rear diff with nooo problems at all. but i guess i understand were your coming from. IMO jack miller is a good place to get your car worked on. maybe im just the only person that has had good service. got to say man that does suck about the warranty issue. hope everything gets worked out.

I'm not saying I've had issues with working with them, I'm just saying I really didn't appreciate how they didn't explain this wasn't your typical warranty. Either way I'll go there and get the work done, I just didn't like how the warranty thing went down.

WRXNFX
08-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Jack Miller ran a guys credit while he was on a test drive where he could not drive then when he got back he could test drive an STi because of his good credit. Let's just say it devolved from there.

My mom uses them and loves them too..

I will say LSS is the most mod friendly dealership I have ever seen and I hope they stay that way. :)

SubaSteve
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Jack Miller ran a guys credit while he was on a test drive where he could not drive then when he got back he could test drive an STi because of his good credit. Let's just say it devolved from there.

My mom uses them and loves them too..

I will say LSS is the most mod friendly dealership I have ever seen and I hope they stay that way. :) the sales department and the service department are completely different. so i wouldn't be able to speak for the sales because i have never dealt with them. when it comes to service, they are awesome people when you get to know them. i know one of the techs there and hes a cool guy. he will let me stand right beside him when hes doing work on my car. so i would recommend jack miller service department. that's really stupid about the whole credit issue though.

myveryown07
08-14-2009, 10:07 PM
at jack miller they wouldn't even let me drive a wrx without a credit report. although after i got my load i had the credit to afford a STI but i'm glad i didn't. specially after i lost my job and barely made the car payments i have now..

Sidster
08-15-2009, 10:10 AM
at jack miller they wouldn't even let me drive a wrx without a credit report. although after i got my load i had the credit to afford a STI but i'm glad i didn't. specially after i lost my job and barely made the car payments i have now..

Sorry to hear. I'd be in bad shape if I lost my job with STI payments...I'll be living like a king once this is paid off in 2 years. Those car payments going directly into savings will make me feel like I got a huge promotion lol.

gunhaha
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I have no issue with Jack Miller service.
Actually I like them and i had just my rear wheel bearing replaced for free.

I called 3 dealership to see how much it would cost to fix/replace it and the other 2 gave me a quote..$350-$400..bring it over...2 hrs work, as my car is more than 5 yrs old and past warranty.

Only Jack Miller NKC service asked me for my VIN so they can check if there are any parts have recall or that warranty may been extended by the factory and verified that I actually don't have to pay a cent to get my rear wheel bearing assembly replaced.

After i set my appointment, I called the other 2 dealers after and ask them to check and they did confirmed that it is covered by factory extended warranty.