PDA

View Full Version : New Tires - Woo! Strange look - hmm.

Darksabre
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped my wife pick out the new tires for my birthday. It was an awesome gift :) She went with the Continental DWS 225/45/17

My old Avon 550's were horrid, but I had driven on them for so long, that I forgot what my car even sounded like. After having them installed and taking a first drive, I couldnt believe it. It was like a brand new car. All I could hear was the exhaust note and some wind noise. No more ridiculous vibration and noise at low speeds, and deafening noise at highway speeds. While braking, the pedal is smooth with no vibration felt through it. I really had forgotten what my car sounded like...pretty sad huh.

Anyway, the only strange thing is how they look on the stock rims.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2452/20110130153524.jpg
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1411/20110130153533.jpg

My old tires were pretty much flush with the rim, but these seem to stick out a bit farther than the rim, and they have a strange dip before connecting to the rim. They are the same size as the other tires, so I dunno there..

Also tested the psi that Shore put in them, 40psi front, 36 rear. Seems high, at least compared to my old tires, but I guess they're all different. Anyone that has the DWS's, how much have you been putting in them?

Anyway - thanks again guys :)

dukenukem
01-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Think of the bulge as additional protection for your rim against curb rash. :D

soundguy
01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
from what your wife posted i would get your alligment checked asap so you dont cup these new tires

WRXNFX
01-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Think of the bulge as additional protection for your rim against curb rash. :D

+1, tires have a little brim for a while, then they all pushed the side was flush, IMHO.

They look good.

personally I run abour 32 all the way around in the winter.

In the summer something like 38 front 36 rear. IIRC. I got it written down in the glove box.

If you are not tracking ~34 year round should be good.

Darksabre
01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
from what your wife posted i would get your alligment checked asap so you dont cup these new tires

Yeah, I agree. I did have the alignment redone in the summer. They asked if it has been in an accident (none that i know of...I'm the second owner) because the right rear tire was out of alignment, and they couldn't get it to go very far in one direction or the other. I cant remember exactly what they said back then. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get it checked. Do any places do free checking, or are they going to charge no matter what?

AWD Bishop
01-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Congrats on the new tires. Tires make a world of difference

Darksabre
01-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Congrats on the new tires. Tires make a world of difference

Thanks! :)

Yeah, it was unbelievable how much the car changed overall. It's kinda funny - now that I can actually hear the exhaust, my shifts are smoother and more precise :lol:

DanC
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
I feel your pain on the Avon M550 tires. I had those for a while & know what you mean about the noise and vibration.

Darksabre
01-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I feel your pain on the Avon M550 tires. I had those for a while & know what you mean about the noise and vibration.

Haha, man..it was just awful. Everyone on the iwsti boards at the time said they were great tires. I guess there wasn't anyone that had actually used them for more than 10k miles yet. :x

Hydrolix
01-31-2011, 03:51 PM

Yeah, I agree. I did have the alignment redone in the summer. They asked if it has been in an accident (none that i know of...I'm the second owner) because the right rear tire was out of alignment, and they couldn't get it to go very far in one direction or the other. I cant remember exactly what they said back then. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get it checked. Do any places do free checking, or are they going to charge no matter what?

If your rear is out of alignment that typically means something is bent back there as the rear alignment doesn't have any adjustment when stock. I had that exact same issue and it ended up being a bent hub, but it could also be the linkage.

Zero1
02-01-2011, 03:02 AM
You has my tires 8)

The bulge next to the lip is there for rim protection (called bead guard) so you don't get the little nicks on the lip anymore :)

I run mine @ 36 psi in the winter and 37 or 38 in the summer.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

soundguy
02-01-2011, 05:55 AM
It may just be that the avons are a relly shitty tire regardless I would get aligment checked if you had were problemsin your last set of tires baf struts can also cause cuppingi would check them out as whell