PDA

View Full Version : Springs Install

BoostAddict
07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Anyone here knowledgeable with installing a set of springs and willing to help out a newbie? I'd like to get my hands dirty on this one but not feeling very confident w/ the online "how-to". :?

summerandjoe
07-28-2009, 09:28 AM
do you have spring compressor thingies?

paper_tiger
07-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Peaty or Todd are the two I know but I think you are going to have a hard time getting a hold of either of them.

Go to scoobymods and look up Peaty's how-to on this subject.

*edit*

http://www.scoobymods.com/jdm_forester_ ... tml?t=2666 (http://www.scoobymods.com/jdm_forester_sti_pink-t2666.html?t=2666)

This should help. Yes it is on a Forester but they are the older STI springs and the concept is the same despite the year/model difference.

You will need to join up to this group to see the shots but peatypics are worth it.

VF34RX
07-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Dont scare yourself. Spring installs are quite simple. Once you get the strut/spring assembly off the car just compress the spring with an appropriate compressor and its just a few turns of a wrench. I did mine in just a couple hours.

You will want to align the car afterwards. But you can always mark the bolts and strut to get the alignment close to what it was.

TunedAlready02
07-28-2009, 09:40 AM
theres a guy running around here called WRXNFX... i volunteer him

Chad
07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
We are more than capable of doing this for ya, give us a call if you would like to set something up.

BoostAddict
07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for everyone's feedback! I think not having done this before and all the tools (being familiar with them) is the intimidating part...

matt25sti
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
It is pretty simple. It can be done a a few hours depending on how stubborn the bolts are. Depending on the springs you bought depends if you really need spring compressors but they are recommended so you don't have any accidents taking the stock springs off.

ElScooby
07-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't want to take work away from MKC because I really like that place. But I could help you sometime with the install. I have a couple of different types of McPherson strut spring compressors and the power tools to help you get the job done pretty quick. I just finished installing WRX springs/struts all the way around on our 98 Forester. Pretty easy to do. But your right, when you don't know, or haven't done something before it can be intimidating. Just buy me the DVD Ice Age II for my son and I can help you get this done in an hour or two. :D

WRXNFX
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM
There you go!

Oh and marking the bolts will get you close, but if you chang the ride height you will change the alignment.

cseaman
07-28-2009, 01:15 PM
You might get lucky with the alignment man. When I had my '07 WRX, I put Prodrive springs on it at 2k miles and when I traded it in at 17k miles, it never had any weird tire wear or anything. It drove perfectly straight from the day I put them on.

Either way, get a few guys together and it should not be an issue. It's pretty simple for real, just rent the spring compressor from o'reillys/advanced/etc.

ElScooby
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
You might get lucky with the alignment man. When I had my '07 WRX, I put Prodrive springs on it at 2k miles and when I traded it in at 17k miles, it never had any weird tire wear or anything. It drove perfectly straight from the day I put them on.

Either way, get a few guys together and it should not be an issue. It's pretty simple for real, just rent the spring compressor from o'reillys/advanced/etc.

Actually he is heading over to my house Sat morning and I am going to help him get his new springs on. I have all of the tool. Even the spring compressors from O'Reillys, cost my 90 bucks from not returning it :lol:

myveryown07
07-28-2009, 06:46 PM
i'll help you boost we don't need a spring compressor i'm free this weekend i think if you want to do it.

what springs are you putting on as long as its a 2" drop you don't need a compressor.

i'll just sit back and help but let you do most of it

BoostAddict
07-28-2009, 07:58 PM
i'll help you boost we don't need a spring compressor i'm free this weekend i think if you want to do it.

what springs are you putting on as long as its a 2" drop you don't need a compressor.

I appreciate the offer, Tony! John and I will be working on this Saturday morning. Wanna tag along? I can come by and pick you up :wink:

ElScooby
07-28-2009, 10:29 PM

I appreciate the offer, Tony! John and I will be working on this Saturday morning. Wanna tag along? I can come by and pick you up :wink:

Yep, and this will be my first video how to video in the ElScooby line of how to you're welcome to hang out.

myveryown07
07-29-2009, 12:36 AM
mark you do know i'm in nkc right? lol that would be out of the way for you

matt25sti
07-29-2009, 07:09 AM

well your location says lenexa :wink:

WRXNFX
07-29-2009, 07:28 AM

well your location says lenexa :wink:

Wicked Burn!! :)

matt25sti
07-29-2009, 07:33 AM

Actually he is heading over to my house Sat morning and I am going to help him get his new springs on. I have all of the tool. Even the spring compressors from O'Reillys, cost my 90 bucks from not returning it :lol:

Remember to take pics! Oh and what springs did you get?

ElScooby
07-29-2009, 07:37 AM

Yep, I will be taking pics and having Boostaddict helping me video the install for my first official ElScooby HowTo.

matt25sti
07-29-2009, 07:48 AM

Yep, I will be taking pics and having Boostaddict helping me video the install for my first official ElScooby HowTo.

YAY!!!!!!

ElScooby
07-29-2009, 07:53 AM
:D My goal is to video and take pics so I can have both a video install and a pic with description install. And they will both be in english and spanish. Es broma guey, es broma! Just kidding dude.

matt25sti
07-29-2009, 08:09 AM
haha. I might be able to help out saturday morning. I don't think I am doing anything.

ElScooby
07-29-2009, 08:15 AM
haha. I might be able to help out saturday morning. I don't think I am doing anything.

Sounds cool. You know where I live! Remember just look for all of the big mansions, then drive waaaay past them until you get to my little place, :lol:
Looks kind of like this, :roll:
http://www.eurekaheritage.org/images/Carson%20Mansion%20pic%2004.JPG

BoostAddict
07-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Got the JDM STI pinks. Been debating between the RCE/Cobb/SPT. I think these will provide the perfect balance between form and function.

More reasons for me to cruise around :wink: Besides, you made the trip to the coffee house in Olathe!

BoostAddict
08-01-2009, 08:44 PM
It was great having Jordan, Matt, and Chris hanging around and helping out during the install! John is a real trooper in educating and documenting this for everyone, while giving me a big hand on this 5+ hour job :D

cubedweller
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice to see you guys today, even if I was in a hurry, had an armload of toddler, and couldn't lend a hand. Mighty fine looking Subies, that's for sure.

ElScooby
08-01-2009, 10:08 PM
It was great having Jordan, Matt, and Chris hanging around and helping out during the install! John is a real trooper in educating and documenting this for everyone, while giving me a big hand on this 5+ hour job :D

You're totally welcome. Definitely the longest spring swap ever, lol.

matt25sti
08-02-2009, 08:49 AM
It was fun, an experience and a long day lol. But overall fun :D