PDA

View Full Version : Fun with HDR

ryguy02rex
08-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Light was great this evening, so I borrowed the wife's new Canon (for which I got a verbal kick in the nethers) and took some photos that I then merged in Luminance HDR using the Fattal operator on the default setting.

The results are pretty interesting to look at. I haven't played with the settings in Luminance yet to see if I can get even more striking results, but I'm happy with these so far.

Car's a bit on the dirty side, but since the paint isn't perfect, I don't see much reason to keep it too clean ;)

I like the slightly dirty look anyway. Excessively clean cars make me nervous. Something unnatural about 'em.

Click here to see the Flickr set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624764293356/

ndwolfwood
08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
i dont like hdr pics much but the wagon looks good

TunedAlready02
08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Yikes. What program did you use to process them?

ryguy02rex
08-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Wow. Not quite the response I expected.

I can see there's no love lost on HDR here, so I'll just pack up my ball and go home.

At least you all know my car by sight now.

TunedAlready02
08-20-2010, 12:08 AM

I can see there's no love lost on HDR here, so I'll just pack up my ball and go home.

Nah man, dont take it the wrong way. Ive just never seen that style :)

I used to do HDR a lot, the only reason I dont do it anymore is because I dont have Photomatix.

ryguy02rex
08-20-2010, 12:19 AM
I mentioned the program I used and the settings in the OP.

There were "milder" presets I could have used, but I love how ... unrealistic ... this looks. It's like someone tried to do a photo-realistic painting.

ndwolfwood
08-20-2010, 12:43 AM
dont take me the wrong way...good photos, im just not a fan of hdr stuff

rookrex
08-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Hey man, just because somebody doesn't like you're crazy photos doesn't mean they don't like ya. They just don't like the photo style, if you posted normal pics to start with everyone would tell you its awesome.

As for me, I don't know about the photo style. At first I didn't like at all. But I think it works when you get farther away from the car. When you're really close the car kinda has the halo around it....

I like this one.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4908933051_1c5d9f30ca_z.jpg

KSwrxWAGON
08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
They have a Grand Theft Auto/video game feel to them. Pretty cool.

myveryown07
08-21-2010, 06:47 PM
They have a Grand Theft Auto/video game feel to them. Pretty cool.
they do look a little fake don't they

Zero1
08-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Oh come on now, there's always a bit of hazing to any new members :P

Me personally, dig the effort you put into it man. Not a huge fan of the angles you got on the car, but that's just me :)