PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Frequency and Recommended Oil

cmm324
08-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey so I was poking around google and found this...

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads ... hedFed.pdf (http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/maintsched/1998SchedFed.pdf)

As per the above document it says that i should change the oil every 7500 miles after the initial 3000 mile change. What do you guys think about that? I normally get an oil change about every 4000 miles in past vehicles.

Also, seeing as my car is an aged beauty with 244k miles, what oil should I use to minimize oil leaks / burn and keep her running smooth?

WRXNFX
08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
It says NOTE 1 of to the right.

Notes
1. When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions,** the engine oil and filter should be changed every 6,000 km (3,750 miles) or 3-3/4 months.

:)

If you go synthetic, you can go 5000 or more.

Justin 05 Sti
08-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I have heard good things about using valvoline maxlife in older engines.

Frequency depends on type of oil and driving conditions. If you want to do extended intervals I would suggest using a good synthetic and doing regular oil analysis (Blackstone or what have you).

cmm324
08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Primarily I drive it 4.5 miles to work and the occasional trips to the store. I will probably put about 6000 miles a year on the car in all honesty. I am thinking maybe changing the oil every 6 months with a higher quality synthetic.

KSwrxWAGON
08-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Just about any high quality full synthetic fluid can handle the 6,000 mile, 6-month oil change. With 4.5 miles to work, you probably aren't getting your oil temp to 220 degrees F. Condensated water doesn't have a chance to boil off and can build up in your oil, which can prematurely thin the oil. Consistent drives less than 10 miles each way is considered severe service. However, it isn't something a full synthetic oil like Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or Amsoil XL can't handle...that's Amsoil's cheaper 7,500-mile/6-month oil. For reference, Amsoil's normal 25,000-mile oil is rated for 15,000 miles in severe service...nice, but overkill for your usage. The safest is to test the oil you choose at 3,750 miles to see if it is still capable of protecting your engine. If the oil is in good shape, the test results will estimate how much longer it can go before you need to change it.

Most of the "older engine" oils are decent, although mostly an advertising campaign. Simply using a high quality full synthetic with a solid additives will provide the best well-rounded oil for both old and new motors.

There's quite a few great oils out there. If you need any information, let me know. I am always happy to help.

soundguy
08-03-2010, 11:55 PM
i change every 3 K and i run a full synthetic.

WRXNFX
08-05-2010, 11:29 PM

Over kill. I change mine every 5000 ish, in that time I will add 3 quarts.. LOL

dukenukem
08-05-2010, 11:54 PM
What brand and weight of oil do you use? I would do the $20 used oil analysis from Blackstone labs and see how much longer you can safely run the oil before changing ... thats what I do.

KSwrxWAGON
08-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Blackstone raised their pricing to $25 without return shipping to the lab. Testing is a great idea to safely extend your oil change interval or just to check on the health of your engine. I can get test kits from Oil Analyzers, Inc. for $26, which includes return UPS shipping. Let me know.

I also have a sampling pump that pulls a sample out of your dipstick without contaminating the sample. Let me know if you want me to pull a sample for you and I am happy to help anyone here. I think it will work with the Blackstone Labs containers, too.

cmm324
08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
I just may take you up on that offer. Despite spending $600 for the car, I would love to have it properly inspected to make sure that the motor and tranny are in solid condition before I invest any money into fixing it up. If they don't look like they can run another 50K miles, than i will just drive it as is.

I will PM you when I am ready to test the oil. Thanks for the great advice everyone. :D

ElScooby
08-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't even use oil in my engine, oil is for pussys!

Oh and I dry shave with an old rusty blade lawnmower blade.

ElScooby
08-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Actually I use Rotella t synthetic 5w-40 and change it around 7K.

KSwrxWAGON
08-06-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't even use oil in my engine, oil is for pussys!

Oh and I dry shave with an old rusty blade lawnmower blade.

You should just spit in the oil resevoir to share your Chuck Norris-style toughness with your motor. Dang :lol:

rookrex
08-06-2010, 09:23 AM

No problems with that at all? I use the same stuff and change around 4k. But if I can go longer I will! :)

KSwrxWAGON
08-06-2010, 10:09 AM

No problems with that at all? I use the same stuff and change around 4k. But if I can go longer I will! :)

Test it to see...that's the safest way. Everyone's motor is different and testing the used oil at your normal interval is really the only way to know it is still good to go.

dukenukem
08-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Do you get 1 quart can of that stuff? I found a 1 gallon can at Advance auto but I dont want to get 2 of those and then store the extra for another 3 months in my apartment.

xXSTi-lynXx
08-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I use royal purple 5w 30 and do oil changes every 3-4k. I have done this with both STi's I have owned with nothing but good results

don's scoob
08-12-2010, 11:51 PM
I use Castrol Syntec fully synthetic 10W30 summer, 5W30 winter. I change every 3K, but have been known to lapse to 5K.

ElScooby
08-13-2010, 12:41 AM

So far no problems.

jh_05STi
09-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I use royal purple 5w 30 and do oil changes every 3-4k. I have done this with both STi's I have owned with nothing but good results

I do the same thing and no problems.

xXSTi-lynXx
09-02-2010, 06:20 PM
royal purple every 4k - FTW!

JosefCarlin
09-08-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't have access to Subaru's MY**** site as I don't yet have a VIN, but I found this on the Net's:
"new for 2011 Synthetic Oil required on all 2011 turbos and recommended for all 2010 and prior turbos (statement July 2010) " and whats more "new for 2011 turbos require synthetic 5w-30, changed every 3,750 miles or 3 3/4 months." I assume failure to meet the required maintenance will void any warranty on my yet to be delivered 2011 WRX. Does anyone have a more definitive source they can share?
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html#notes

cmm324
09-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't have access to Subaru's MY**** site as I don't yet have a VIN, but I found this on the Net's:
"new for 2011 Synthetic Oil required on all 2011 turbos and recommended for all 2010 and prior turbos (statement July 2010) " and whats more "new for 2011 turbos require synthetic 5w-30, changed every 3,750 miles or 3 3/4 months." I assume failure to meet the required maintenance will void any warranty on my yet to be delivered 2011 WRX. Does anyone have a more definitive source they can share?
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance2.html#notes

That sounds pretty strict. I can't really see that they would require you to furnish proof of following the proper oil change schedule. But if you are caught with a non 5w-30 synthetic in the motor at the time of the repair, they could potentially turn you down.

Crispy
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Unfortunately there is a lot of leeway for what can be labeled as a synthetic oil in the US so this requirement will probably be interesting for them to try to enforce.

Dangasaur
09-09-2010, 08:14 PM
It would be nice for some clarification from SOA as to what synthetics they recommend. It would also be nice to see if they have wiggle room for oil that is not strictly 5w-30 weight like german castrol syntec.

DevXTech
09-09-2010, 09:01 PM
FYI Subaru just came out with a Subaru brand full synthetic 5W-30 oil.

Subaru Synthetic 5W-30 Motor offers:
-Superior protection against oil breakdown for a cleaner running engine and long engine
life
-Increased protection against varnishing and deposits
-Superior lubrication reduces engine wear across the operating temperature range and
optimizes fuel economy
-Reduces oil loss due to evaporation and burn off
-Recommended for (2010 and prior) Turbo-charged engines but is required for all 2011
Turbo charged engines.
-This oil is also excellent for all non-turbo vehicles with the exception of the new 2011
LSS sells this stuff and also just noticed it got added to several parts websites. Here is one for example. http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php ... re=default (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-sae-5w-30-subaru-synthetic-motor-oil-quart-bottle.html?___store=default)

I'm going to try it out and have LSS put it this Saturday during my oil change.

Dangasaur
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Can you post the price per quart of the new Subaru oil with KCSubaru discount. I might as well pick up 6 months worth of oil change supplies next time I'm there.

KSwrxWAGON
09-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Unfortunately there is a lot of leeway for what can be labeled as a synthetic oil in the US so this requirement will probably be interesting for them to try to enforce.

You're right. I'll write a mini-book explaining how synthetics are deemed "synthetic". The oil industry has a system to determine whether an oil can be considered "synthetic". You might be able to tell if the oil is synthetic by testing for viscosity index or % saturates. Since saturates are double bonded oil molecules and perform better than unsatureated oil, these will increase for better oil. Viscosity Index (VI) measures how much the viscosity changes when the temperature changes. The higher VI numbers indicate less change...better performance in wider temperature range.

Five major groups for oil and their required performance are shown below. There are three categories for mineral base oils: Groups I, II, and III. Group I has the poorest set of properties and Group III is the most desirable of the three. Two additional categories are for non-mineral base stocks. Synthetic oils are any oil higher than a Group III base stock.

__________Sulfer %, max____Saturates %___Viscosity Index
Group I >0.03 and/or <90 / 80 to 120
Group II <=0.03 and >=90 / 80 to 120
Group III <=0.03 and >=90 / >=120
Group IV 0 and ~100 / >=120 This group is all chemically engineered polyalphaolefins (PAOs)
Group V All others not included in Groups I - IV Performance varies with this group

Your best synthetic oil is going to be Group IV (Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.) and everything else will be Group III (Mobil1, 5w-40 Rotella T, Amsoil XL line, etc.). Group IV oils are generally able to perform longer and better over a broader temperature range. That doesn't mean Group III oils are trash -- they're great and can closely match the performance of Group IV oils. They will probably need to be changed more frequently to maintain high performance, but this group can easily take a normal car 5,000-7,500 miles between changes. Turbo cars and Subarus aren't normal and you should follow SOA guidance if you have a warranty. As long as you keep receipts, you can use ANY brand of synthetic oil.

On a healthy vehicle with a decent oil filter, Group IV oils will run 10,000 miles with ease. Amsoil guarantees performance of their oil for 15,000-17,500 miles in turbo cars (again...SOA requires more frequent changes). Normal cars can drive 25,000-35,000 miles. I have seen many UOA's from many cars that have 25k+ on one oil change...always amazed to see the oil is still performing without causing excessive additional wear.

So...which group of scientists decided that Group III oil is good enough to be called "synthetic"? It is obviously not synthetic, but performs well even though they lack the purity and molecular uniformity of Group IV oils. The group that defined "Synthetic Oil" wasn't a group of scientists...it was an American marketing association. Synthetic European oil is either Group IV or Group V.

Cliffs Notes: You should be using synthetic oil anyway. :lol:

scooby_rex
09-10-2010, 09:41 AM
So who decides what's put on the bottles, as in who decides if an oil is group III or IV?

KSwrxWAGON
09-10-2010, 09:45 AM
The manufacturer decides whether to use Group III or Group IV. Either of those choices allow them to call their oil "Full Synthetic".

cmm324
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
The manufacturer decides whether to use Group III or Group IV. Either of those choices allow them to call their oil "Full Synthetic".

Does it clearly state on the bottle which group the synthetic falls into or do the mostly just say synthetic?

KSwrxWAGON
09-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Does it clearly state on the bottle which group the synthetic falls into or do the mostly just say synthetic?

No. The bottle is only advertisement and they only say Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend. Synthetic blends are generally less than 30% Group III or IV, but they aren't required to put a minimum amount in to be a blend. Might as well buy regular dino oil or full synthetic.

I am always happy to provide more information on oil and try to be unbiased between brands. No need to spark a debate over the best brands -- those debates last longer than a jihad.

2002blackWRX
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
I did a ton of searching on Nasioc when I first got my wrx and have ran numerous oils. I found most like Rotella, that is what I have used and love it.