PDA

View Full Version : 90 K Service

WRXNFX
07-30-2010, 01:26 PM
The new belt, pulleys and water pump are in.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/wrxnfxkc/gatesbelt.jpg

timsti
07-30-2010, 01:48 PM
nice. looks purty.

DevXTech
07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Those Gates racing belts are really nice. Looks good, Gates FTW. 8)

WRXNFX
07-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Got accessory ones too. :)

wrx_bro
07-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Nice..now take a trip to Wichita and do mine! LOL

BoostedM3
07-30-2010, 03:06 PM

They really are...
We've been keeping them in stock ever since we did the 2 short blocks that got them as well.
Very nice quality piece.

fishawrx
07-30-2010, 04:11 PM
sti only has a 90k timing belt? WRX is ~110k isn't it? I'm at ~101k and am planning this soon.

WRXNFX
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
sti only has a 90k timing belt? WRX is ~110k isn't it? I'm at ~101k and am planning this soon.

Yes, they are 105, I jusr decided to give the car love and combine the 90K and 105K service.

fishawrx
07-30-2010, 07:19 PM
How long did that take? I need to get on that in the next month or two.

TunedAlready02
07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
How long did that take? I need to get on that in the next month or two.

This.

Also what would you rate the difficulty? 1-10
Cost?

I had pops take mine in for an alignment yesterday while Im outta town. Plan on changing all the fluids when I get home and maybe attacking this.

WRXNFX
07-30-2010, 09:28 PM
By the time you swap pulleys and belts and water pump, then refill with coolant. Probably 4 hours.

There must be 12 ways to f-it up.

I would have a pro do it.

Probably a 7 on dificulty, but a 10 in risk.

If it is wrong you are going to want a shop take the expense of fixing it.

fishawrx
07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
What are some of the ways to f it up? Did the belt not want to match up on the TDC marks?

don's scoob
07-30-2010, 10:06 PM
I need to do this but I really don't want to screw anything up. Props to you Jeff. 8)

WRXNFX
07-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I may have sent a wrong message.

I paid a shop here in Omaha to do it.. :)

Well let's say you choose not to replace the pulleys, Mine were starting to wear at 90 K, they go, bye bye timing belt.

Re did not replace the cam seals because STiPower said the 2.5's don't need them replace, but if you do need to, you have to pull the cam pulleys.

Pulling the cam pulleys are really on there and if you accidentaly turn it, you can run a valve into a piston.

Just a REALY critical part of the car, you get it wrong, turn the key, F-ed..

I am just saying the risk is like really high.

If you crack one of the plastic crank pulleys and don;t notice it, it could fail catistrophically.

i just think a shop should do it for you, let them absorb the risk.

soundguy
07-30-2010, 10:58 PM
i did this myself and i dident have any problems.

fishawrx
07-31-2010, 10:25 AM
I may have sent a wrong message.

I paid a shop here in Omaha to do it.. :)

Well let's say you choose not to replace the pulleys, Mine were starting to wear at 90 K, they go, bye bye timing belt.

Re did not replace the cam seals because STiPower said the 2.5's don't need them replace, but if you do need to, you have to pull the cam pulleys.

Pulling the cam pulleys are really on there and if you accidentaly turn it, you can run a valve into a piston.

Just a REALY critical part of the car, you get it wrong, turn the key, F-ed..

I am just saying the risk is like really high.

If you crack one of the plastic crank pulleys and don;t notice it, it could fail catistrophically.

i just think a shop should do it for you, let them absorb the risk.

But just doing the belt and the waterpump should be pretty straight forward as long as the belt was intact when you go to do it.

WRXNFX
07-31-2010, 02:07 PM

Did you replace your cam seals?

Waterpump gasket?

Tensioner?

BoostedM3
07-31-2010, 02:38 PM

Waterpump gasket?

Tensioner?

These are all so important when performing this job.
We perform this job on a regular basis, & lemme tell ya'...they're definitely not like any in-line 4 motor that's relatively easy to keep in time once the tension is taken off.
Nice write up...very good information, & definitely not for the faint at heart.

ElScooby
07-31-2010, 06:52 PM

Waterpump gasket?

Tensioner?

We perform this job on a regular basis, & lemme tell ya'...they're definitely not like any in-line 4 motor that's relatively easy to keep in time once the tension is taken off.

I agree. It is a total pita to keep the cam gears from spinning on the drivers side when trying to keep the timing belt and markings all lined up just right without a cam locking tool of some sort, and the timing belt is the biggest timing belt I have ever seen on a car. However it is definitely doable. If you don't feel comfortable doing something like this and can get a good rate on the change I would have someone do it, like MKC, LSS etc. But if you are mechanically inclined and have time you can do it. I have about 450 pictures of my tear down and replacement of the blown head gaskets on my 2.5 Forester. It is almost identical to the WRX as well as the STI minus the ACVS. I need to get off my but someday and make time to do my write up. As well as document my STI belt change. And it really does take some time to get done so plan on giving your self a full day just in case. If you have any questions let me know and I will help the best that I can. I have changed BKwilliams old WRX(not his car that blew up :( ) and DanC's car and they're still ticking. Knock on wood :lol:

ElScooby
07-31-2010, 06:54 PM

btw, those belts look so nice I wouldn't even want to put the timing cover case back on. I would of course, but so purty!!

WRXNFX
08-01-2010, 03:02 PM

btw, those belts look so nice I wouldn't even want to put the timing cover case back on. I would of course, but so purty!!

That is part of the reson I got their accesory belts.. :)

Hydrolix
08-01-2010, 03:54 PM
pics of the accessory belts?

WRXNFX
08-01-2010, 05:05 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa136/wrxnfxkc/belts.jpg

soundguy
08-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Waterpump gasket?

Tensioner?

disagree 100%, transverse inline 4 can be some of the hardest motors to work on, take a 4G63 as an example, just about anything on that motor outside of spark plugs and Exhaust manifold is an absolute bitch, timing the DOHC boxer engine is no hard it just takes time,twice the cam shafts, but even with spending the extra time, i bet i could change out a timing belt on my subi in half the time as almost any transverse inline 4

2002blackWRX
08-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I had ron at axis in St Louis do mine and he charged $200, I provided parts. Well worth the money to avoid this headache.

WRXNFX
08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I had ron at axis in St Louis do mine and he charged $200, I provided parts. Well worth the money to avoid this headache.

Agreed, again, the work itself is not rocket science, but, you f-it up, $3000 for a new motor..

page2334
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
im about 3k away from LSS doin my 90K services, also while they have the car, new brakes and SS lines 8)