PDA

View Full Version : 555 Motorsports internet tune - two thumbs up for cust. serv

fishawrx
07-28-2010, 03:16 PM
So I've just put in a 16g w/ supporting mods. After attempting 4 or 5 of the 16g tunes out there on the forums, with no luck, I started researching actually paying for a tune. I came across Matt at 555motorsports.net and did a little research. For $150, you get a custom tune for your setup, emailed to you. And for the next 30 days, he will revise the map based on data logs that you provide. I then researched how his tunes rated amongst the suby crowd and came across this:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205221

Nothing but positive remarks there, and everyone emphasized Matt's availability and customer service. I decided to give him a try. I bought my tune on Saturday, loaded it and it had an awful idle. After talking w/ Matt both on the phone and email, he concluded that I have a leak or mechanical issue somewhere that needs to be fixed first. Even though my previous 16g tune attempts had a perfect idle after hours of logging and revisions, he convinced me that you can tune for any problem, but it's never going to let the car perform efficiently (my previous tune required injector scaling at 500cc for 850cc injectors). He seems confident that the tune is not the issue since he has used this base on multiple subys w/ my same setup w/ no idle problems. He gave me a list of things to check. Now I'm thinking, sh#t! this is really going to cut into my 30 day window to get this thing tuned. Shot Matt an email asking if we could put the 30 day countdown on hold until I get this issue solved. He said no problem.

I cannot personally vouch for the quality of Matt's tune at this point as I have to get this issue fixed first, but I can certainly vouch for his customer service. He takes the time to explain what's going on and why. No ego. No "you're wasting my precious time" attitude. I've had daily conversations w/ him and the two maps that he has sent so far were sent at 2:00 AM. This guy is truly available and assuming the tune works out (which his reviews seem to say yes across the board) $150 is a damn good price for the service you get.

I'll post on how the tune works out when all is finished.

xI Light Ix
08-07-2010, 11:24 AM
so I read the title as 2 thumbs down and I was really confused. LoL

sounds like a cool dude :D

fishawrx
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I finally think all the bugs are worked out of my car and the real tuning can begin. Matt has been troubleshooting with me the whole time. I must say, it's best to make sure that your car is mechanically sound before starting this process.

BigC
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I finally think all the bugs are worked out of my car and the real tuning can begin. Matt has been troubleshooting with me the whole time. I must say, it's best to make sure that your car is mechanically sound before starting this process.

Glad to hear everything is working out and given my past experience chasing mechanical gremlins, couldn't agree more!

ac0hd
09-17-2010, 11:13 AM
It's been a few days, any updates? Just interested in some real world feedback from a local.

I have used a couple of popular e-tuners and have had marginal success.

One had pretty good power results but his techniques are reputed to be "questionable" by the mainstream tuners.

The next wasn't really interested in putting forth much time and effort to get everything right....would you consider 270 whp (91 octane) and rough idle with misfires a tune to be proud of or a tune you would want to leave with a paying customer with??

I have been talking to Matt and he seems to be one who is interested in doing the tune right...getting the scaling and general tune right before moving on to power production with goals not only in peak power but ALSO in idle, cruise, and drivability...a FULL tune. Additionally Matt is a Pro-Tuner whereas my last 2 were 'spare-time' or part-time tuners.

fishawrx
09-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I have been talking to Matt and he seems to be one who is interested in doing the tune right...getting the scaling and general tune right before moving on to power production with goals not only in peak power but ALSO in idle, cruise, and drivability...a FULL tune. Additionally Matt is a Pro-Tuner whereas my last 2 were 'spare-time' or part-time tuners.

This sums Matt up exactly. Frist of all, my car had some issues that needed to be resolved first... hence the delayed process. With that said, Matt has helped me diagnose and solve all of these problems, something I don't think any other internet tuner would do unless paid extra to do so. Second, he does take his time tuning, making sure it's running smooth in idle and cruising ranges first. We have not even gotten into boost and anything about cruising throttle. So, it has taken quite a while, mostly due to problems on my end. In the end, I'm pretty confident that I will have a well rounded tune that should put down pretty good power as well.

fishawrx
12-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, tune is finally done. Yes, it started 6 months ago. I must say, the downside to internet tuning is not having the tuner to diagnose problems in person. We hit multiple setbacks and gremlins (started out with the wrong injectors, a few boost leaks, a few vacuum leaks, possibly a ground issue); some were definitely problems with my car, some I think may have been problems with the map (unexplained knock correction issue that disappeared with a map adjustment).

Either way, I am still impressed that Matt stuck with me the entire time. I never expected any internet tuner to help me diagnose mechanical problems based on logs and work on a single tune for 6 months; and I must say we ended up with a good map for my car. He put a lot of time into the idle and cruising ranges before we even got into WOT pulls. Car runs smooth through all ranges, AFRs look good in all ranges and the car hits 21 psi and pulls hard as hell.

In summation, great tune for a great price. In my case, it took a LONG time. I would like to think that if my car had no problems going into the tune, it would have been wrapped up in a week or two. If you have the money, actually going to a shop for a tune is probably the best bet in case there are mechanical issues that need to be diagnosed.

Justin 05 Sti
12-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm glad you got it all sorted and are happy with the final result. The part throttle stuff often gets overlooked, yet is the most important part of the tune for a daily driver.

Don't overlook the learning experience, either. It may have taken longer but I bet you learned a lot about your car and tuning in general.

Did you keep all the previous copies of the rom? It would be cool to see what little bits changed at each part in the process.

fishawrx
12-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm glad you got it all sorted and are happy with the final result. The part throttle stuff often gets overlooked, yet is the most important part of the tune for a daily driver.

Don't overlook the learning experience, either. It may have taken longer but I bet you learned a lot about your car and tuning in general.

Did you keep all the previous copies of the rom? It would be cool to see what little bits changed at each part in the process.

i did learn quite a bit, yes. I have all of the revisions, about 30 of them. Unfortunately, the last 9 revisions are in a locked format. This is one thing that was a bit disappointing about the tune. I was originally told that the map would not be locked so that I could access it and make small changes later if I changed my setup. The last 9 revisions are in a format that romraider does not recognize.