PDA

View Full Version : 30k recommended maintenance

Sidster
06-19-2010, 03:51 PM
So I'm rolling up on my 30k mile mark and know that according to Subaru, they have a recommended maintenance plan you should get done around this time. Its an incredibly long ass list and listed as $599.

While I don't want to pass up on something that could be important, its hard for me to swallow dropping $600 on the car when nothing is wrong. Not to mention I still have a trust issue with any dealer where I feel I'll still come out with something that "needs" to be fixed, so that $600 is most likely the minimum.

Thoughts, suggestions? I'm still under warranty at Jack Miller but learned a few months back that I was sold whatever warranty locks you in to only their dealership's shop. Sorry LSS :(

timsti
06-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know what all is on that list but at 30k miles I changed trans fluid, rear diff fluid, coolant, brake fluid and the cabin air filter (it was crazy dirty). And oil and filter (but I change those every 3k). Just did the same again at 60k. I forgot what all that cost me but I'm thinking around $100 not including the cost of the beer my dad drank while helping me. Good luck.

rookrex
06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
^^That's about what I did too. I just still have to do the brakes and coolant and I guess the cabin air filter if it's that dirty.

I put redline stuff in my car and I'm really happy with it. :)

Sidster
06-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I've been getting rather low gas mileage lately so I'm sure I could stand to at least go through some of this. Here is the official list I was given when I bought the car:

Replace engine oil and filter
Install oil conditioner
Rotate and balance tires
Replace park plugs (non-platinum)
Replace coolant
Replace external fuel filter
Replace transmission oil
Flush automatic transmission
Add transmission conditioner
Flush brake fluid
Replace front and rear diff. oil
Replace air filter
Inspect clutch system
Inspect belts, hoses and wipers
Inspect tire tread wear
Set tire pressure
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake pads and disks
Inspect/adjust parking brake
Inspect suspension
Inspect axle boots and joints
Inspect steering system
Inspect camshaft drive belt
Inspect drive belts
Inspect cooling system
Inspect fuel line
Scan ECM for trouble codes

$599.95

Cars with platinum plugs $589.95

Needless to say there are a number of things I know I don't need done at the moment so maybe that'll drop the price a bit. I just recently had my oil changed and I get my tires rotated each spring/fall for when I swap out my winter/summer sets. The replacement and inspection might be a good idea to make sure everything is in good shape. But $600....seems a bit crazy.

forumrecon153
06-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm still under warranty at Jack Miller but learned a few months back that I was sold whatever warranty locks you in to only their dealership's shop. Sorry LSS :(
are you saying that your warranty will be voided if you take your car to a different shop for the recommended maintenance

if not talk to robert at lss they will only do the things on that list that you want done plus you get a discount on all parts and service

Sidster
06-19-2010, 09:41 PM
No it won't be voided, but LSS can't do any work on my car under the warranty since they're within 50 miles of Jack Miller. Well they CAN do the work but I'll have to pay for it 100% out of my pocket, wouldn't be covered by the warranty.

I might end up going to LSS anyway though. None of the stuff listed on there are things that would be considered something that a warranty would need unless something was found to be broken. At that point I'd just then take it to Jack Miller to get fixed.

Crispy
06-19-2010, 10:02 PM
At 30k you should still have the factory drive train warranty so any dealer should be able to fix any problems they find with that.

cseaman
06-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but those dealership service packages are for people who don't get cars.

I just took your $600 list and chopped it to this.

I've been getting rather low gas mileage lately so I'm sure I could stand to at least go through some of this. Here is the official list I was given when I bought the car:

Replace spark plugs (non-platinum)
Replace coolant
Replace external fuel filter
Replace transmission oil
Flush brake fluid
Replace front and rear diff. oil
Replace cabin air filter

Game over. Why would you pay them to inspect shit? If something breaks later, replace it.

As far as your whole dealership warranty issue is concerned, it doesn't even make sense. Are you talking about an included maintenance package you got with the car, or an extra warranty? LSS doing work on a Subaru can't void any warranty at all. Besides, what do you expect to have go wrong that would be fixed under warranty at 30k miles on an '06 anyways?

Dealerships don't hand out EJ257's or STi 6-speeds for free. Just have a local shop do the shit I left from your original list.

Sidster
06-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Your edited list is almost exactly what I was thinking should be done. As for the warranty issue, this is how it was explained to me.

I bought an extended warranty from Jack Miller and apparently it is only valid at Jack Miller or any other dealer 50+ miles outside of it. It doesn't mean LSS voids my warranty, it just means I have to pay full price at their shop if its warranty work. Like I said, if I knew it was a lame ass deal like that I probably wouldn't have bought the extended warranty.

Either way thanks for the input and I trust talking to LSS about this will probably get me the best deal and will only do the work I want to get done.

forumrecon153
06-19-2010, 11:59 PM
there is a good chance that if you ask nicely that the techs at LSS will inspect just about everything on that list for free while doing other maintenance

and as far as the cabin air filter goes buy this one on ebay and do the install yourself http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CABIN-FILTER-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-TURBO-RS-TS-2005-2006-2007-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518ffe02fcQQitemZ35030 8139772QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_1296wt_939

Crispy
06-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Just bought a filter from that seller last week and put it in, definitely the cost effective way to go. If you can use a phillips screwdriver there is no reason to pay anyone to do this for you.

WRXNFX
06-20-2010, 12:47 AM
I have skimmed this..

Jack Miller is dead right? It is VAN now, any dealership should apply now.

Maybe I missed something, sorry.

Crispy
06-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I have skimmed this..

Jack Miller is dead right? It is VAN now, any dealership should apply now.

Maybe I missed something, sorry.
Pete had to worry about all this with his car as well
http://kcsubaru.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=18077&p=230154&#p230154

When I show up, I find out the sale to 'Van Can' has gone through. Here is where things get weird. I'm told my extended warranty is no longer any good at Van Subaru; apparently, since JMS sold me the warranty, I'll have to take my warranty work to Jack Miller KIA! WTF!?! :shock:

After a few phone calls to the extended warranty company I finally reach a sane person able to explain the situation. My extended warranty is only honored by the dealership (Jack Miller Subaru/KIA/etc...) that sold it to me, or any Subaru dealership greater than 60 (IIRC) miles from the dealer that sold said warranty. That and leaves me with Jack Miller KIA (and rules out LSS). Or I could drive out to Lawrence for (extended) warranty work.

Sidster
06-20-2010, 10:34 AM
JMS is dead? Great. I just wish I wasn't suckered into that stupid portfolio extended warranty since I'm quite happy with LSS in all my dealings with them.

Does Jack Miller Kia even have people who can work on Subaru's? I dunno, doesn't feel right at all taking my Suby to a Kia dealer at all....

Sidster
06-20-2010, 10:37 AM
there is a good chance that if you ask nicely that the techs at LSS will inspect just about everything on that list for free while doing other maintenance

and as far as the cabin air filter goes buy this one on ebay and do the install yourself http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CABIN-FILTER-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-TURBO-RS-TS-2005-2006-2007-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518ffe02fcQQitemZ35030 8139772QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries#ht_1296wt_939

Thats a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

rookrex
06-21-2010, 07:58 AM

I just bought mine. Can't beat the price!

Just4fuN
06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
sidster, the best advice that I can give is to read your car's owner manual. This lists what the Subaru factory says needs to be done at mileage intervals, rather than what the dealership will tell you needs to be done. In my experience, the dealer's list always includes things that the manufacturer does not require, which helps them inflate the price. Check the owner's manual, and get a quote for just the required items.

2008zr1
07-07-2010, 12:40 AM
you need to also change the spark plugs and air filter as well..the plug wires are good till atleast 50k...i had the olathe subaru print me off a 30k matenience repair list...anyway..all the fluids pretty much they do..brake tranny differential coolant..all that stuff...they replace some...they filter or clean others...the olathe subaru...i wouldnt let them touch my subaru...i had a 2006 legacy wagon and anytime i had a service issue..nothing came up wrong to them...then 8 short months after having it..i lost it in a flash flood while i was sleeping in my apartment...i went up there twice within a week of me losing the car and telling them that i was coming up to look at a car bc i lost mine and they didnt even give a crap....i drove to columbia missouri to get an 09 legacy and they didnt even call to ask about how my car situation was until a 3 weeks after i lost my car and had been up there twice to look at cars...so jack miller subaru of olathe and probably all of his subaru dealership and service locations...probably suck all around...didnt take me but a short 8 months to figure that out...thank god for GAP coverage...eat my 06 subaru wagon payment hahaha!

rookrex
07-07-2010, 07:32 AM
you need to also change the spark plugs and air filter as well..the plug wires are good till atleast 50k...i had the olathe subaru print me off a 30k matenience repair list...anyway..all the fluids pretty much they do..brake tranny differential coolant..all that stuff...they replace some...they filter or clean others...the olathe subaru...i wouldnt let them touch my subaru...i had a 2006 legacy wagon and anytime i had a service issue..nothing came up wrong to them...then 8 short months after having it..i lost it in a flash flood while i was sleeping in my apartment...i went up there twice within a week of me losing the car and telling them that i was coming up to look at a car bc i lost mine and they didnt even give a crap....i drove to columbia missouri to get an 09 legacy and they didnt even call to ask about how my car situation was until a 3 weeks after i lost my car and had been up there twice to look at cars...so jack miller subaru of olathe and probably all of his subaru dealership and service locations...probably suck all around...didnt take me but a short 8 months to figure that out...thank god for GAP coverage...eat my 06 subaru wagon payment hahaha!

HUH? :?

Welcome to the board!! :D

Just4fuN
07-07-2010, 11:21 AM
you need to also change the spark plugs

Spark plugs for turbo models only need to be changed at 60k intervals.

pnasmith
07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm late to the party again...

Yes, Jack Miller Subaru is gone.
Yes, the extended warranty is only good at a Jack Miller owned dealership.
No, I won't take my girl (back) to Jack Miller Kia. They did a terrible job on my alignment, AFTER keeping it overnight and (I suspect) joyriding her, though I can't prove it.
You should still be under your factory (5yr/50,000 mile) warranty; call LSS and give them your VIN, they should be able to look it up. I live in the North-land and will drive BOTH of my cars to "The Mother-Ship" for all of my maintenance in the future. The extended warranty was an expensive lesson; They've never agreed to cover ANYTHING and from what I've learned, it's nearly impossible to get out from under it...money down the tubes :evil: .

Incidentally, recommended maintenance is not covered by ANY warranty I've ever heard of so...kind of a moot point.

BTW, the dealership in Lawrence is the closest one beyond the 50 mile limit. But that's a long way to drive to have your claim denied.

Good luck.

Pete

Sidster
07-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Honestly, from my personal experience and the things I've heard and read about LSS, they'll be getting all of my future business anyway. It was LSS that was the first to tell me my extended warranty was a POS and explained what I was sold.

Its sort of a hike for me but I'll be seeing them for my 30k maintenance work and anything else in the future.

pnasmith
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Its sort of a hike for me but I'll be seeing them for my 30k maintenance work and anything else in the future.

I understand where your coming from, it IS kind of a hike for an oil change. It took me a while to finally come around, but in the end they won my business. Not because of bad experiences elsewhere, they earned my business the old fashioned way; by offering good service at a reasonable price provided by friendly, knowledgeable people.

Pete

Sidster
09-04-2010, 04:48 PM
First of all, I'm going in to LSS next Saturday to sit down and talk to John about what I want done for my routine maintenance.

SECOND, even though this might be a no brainer item I wanted to link a really nice post I found on how to quickly replace the cabin air filter. I just did so and it took me about 10 minutes. I don't know if this cabin filter had ever been replaced...it was GROSS.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install ... r-how.html (http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/49232-change-your-cabin-air-filter-how.html)