PDA

View Full Version : Oil for 07 WRX w/20k miles?

blakeisgeeky
07-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey all, this will be my first post 20k oil change and I just wondering what the board recommended as far as oil brand and weight as well as any additives I should be using. Up until now I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30

TunedAlready02
07-13-2009, 05:21 PM
everyone has their own opinion on oil, but i always used the same thing you use. mobil should be good for as long as you own the car as long as you dont switch over to conventional oil then try to go back to synthetic

ScoobyDooKC
07-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Mobil 1 synthetic is perfectly fine oil, IMO. You would be very hard to find any fault at all with it.

My only conviction about changing oil comes down to NOT using a Fram oil filter. If you do searches at places like bobistheoilguy.com (great website, IMO), they'll basically tell you frams are made like crap.

But yeah, Mobil is fine. Keep using it.

KSwrxWAGON
07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Mobil 1 is a good oil. I'm assuming you change your oil on a normal schedule? I wouldn't use any additives. If you're going to pay for these, just pay for a more expensive oil that has more additives from the manufacturer. Most additives are a sales gimmick and the ones that actually function may be neutralized by a good oil.

I agree with ScoobyDooKC -- bobistheoilguy.com is an excellent source of information.

stentorian
07-14-2009, 12:55 PM
I personally think Modbil 1 5w30 is crap. After using it because the previous owner was using it, I noticed that the oil seemed to be low before 3k miles, so I jumped on nasioc.com and did some research about it. Seems like it was a common problem. I swtiched to castrol synthetic and never had any problems. Also have used Royal purple, and I think next change I am going with Rotella.
-Joe

myveryown07
07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
i have been running mobile 1 clean 5000 and a fram filter for 48000 miles. i have gone over to around 4k went to 5k once everytime my oil is just slightly dirty @ 3k miles. will never look at another oil agian. plus for the price its unbeatable.

$11-5qts