PDA

View Full Version : Attention Smokers!!!!!!!!

zero7starz
07-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Attention all Kansas smokers. In the last two months the state legislature has passed a new law to now restrict cigarette sales to FSC type smokes only. FSC stands for Fire Safe Cigarettes. They were created to help cut down on the amount of residential fires caused by cigarettes falling onto upholstered furniture. While the idea of these were in good faith, the chemical that makes them fire safe is EXTREMELY bad for your health. Common side effects include but are not limited to: chronic headache, abdomen pain/swelling, tightness in the chest, lost of breath, fatigue, digestive problems, and in some severe cases heart attack. (Note, all these symptoms were reported by long time smokers as new symptoms.)

There has been little to no testing done of the FSC chemical, and the long term effects that this might have on the collective people's health is yet unknown. However gauging by the quick onset of symptoms in new FSC cigarette consumers, the outlook is not good.

I urge any of you who have experienced any of these symptoms, or just plain dislike of the foul taste they've covered up the tobacco with, or concerned by a loved one's health to not stay quiet about this. Write your governors, senators, and congressmen tell them what its doing and demand that something be done. We might not be able to do much but we can try.

There is also an on going petition against FSC cigarettes here: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-fire-safe-cigarette-laws that I hope everyone will sign.

Thank you for your time reading this. Please discuss, flame, rant, ect ect below.

Obsidian06
07-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't smoke and don't mean to come across as an ass, but do you think that the additional chemicals will do any more to you in the long run? I mean, if they end up causing cancer and heart disease, does that make cigarettes any more dangerous?

cseaman
07-12-2009, 08:13 PM
As a part-time/sometimes full-time smoker, this is pointless. You're already knowingly breathing in 343434 chemicals, this is just another one. If you 'care' so much about your lungs and body in general, you'd quit whether it had this chemical or not.

WRXNFX
07-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Little advice. When you are 20 you dodn't car about dying at 70, when you are 69 you will.. :)

I quit smoking 4 years ago and miss it, but feel a lot better! :)

But we are all grown and should do what we want.

Legacy
07-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Definitely a firm believer that smoking is the dumbest habit someone can start. Not that I am trying to insult anyone who does smoke, but it has never made sense to me. It tastes bad, smells worse, and causes more diseases than almost anything that you can do to yourself. This is just more the reason to quit, and start living a healthier lifestyle!!!! :wink:

Rugdoc2003
07-13-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't smoke and don't mean to come across as an ass, but do you think that the additional chemicals will do any more to you in the long run? I mean, if they end up causing cancer and heart disease, does that make cigarettes any more dangerous?

Dude, I agree. Why one cars about an added (potential) carcinogen in a tobacco product defies what is logical to me. If anything can be done to a cigarette to make it better for the smoker, those around them, and all the non-smokers, I'm all for it.

What I see:

Plus:
Reduced minor property damage (savings for smoker)
Reduced major property damage (savings for all due to less insurance claims)
Reduced bodily harm/death.

Minus:
Perceived taste difference (?)

Wash:
Potential of it being a carcinogen (in a vat of many other carcinogens)

This is a Win in my book.

TunedAlready02
07-13-2009, 01:23 AM
this has already been done in some other states. when i was working in minnesota they had these. im not a smoker myself but just about everyone i work with is. i dont remember any complaints about the taste but they would go out in about 15 secs if they werent puffed on. i think its a great idea, especially in wildfire prone areas.

slowagon
07-13-2009, 09:59 AM
heres one for you i can take a marlboro light from a fsc pack, light it and let it burn down to the butt without taking a drag and still wont go out so i dont feel theyre safe anyway

zero7starz
07-13-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not saying smoking is healthy, but millions of people do it every day. They know and understand the bad effects it has on their health. But in the last month I've watched friends and coworkers who are smoking these things get new and worse symptoms then even three weeks ago.

I did a "pepsi challange" with a friend and gave her two sticks, one FSC and one not and there was a noticable difference. (She did not know which was which and this was her common brand.)

I'm not trying to make anyone care (even if I wish I could) but at least informed.

The only good thing I see comming from this is that it might make thousands of smokers quit :roll: including me but thats not my point.

WRX04KCMO
07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Or they will come to Missouri to buy their smokes. But yeah i think its about time to quit for me too.

ElScooby
07-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Hell I am just glad I quit smoking in the seventh grade! Best decision I ever made.

ScoobyDooKC
07-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I would die to be able to quit lol.

It's not easy though. It really ain't.

cubedweller
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Little advice. When you are 20 you dodn't car about dying at 70, when you are 69 you will.. :)

I quit smoking 4 years ago and miss it, but feel a lot better! :)

But we are all grown and should do what we want.

Yep, freedom to live is freedom to die. I smoked for ~10 years, two packs a day. Quitting was tough, starting was stupid. I still crave those damned things. But I'll never have another, not ever. I was weak.

But when I think about it, my "smoker" self would definitely have gotten all pissy about new chemicals in my smokes...so maybe just switch to Drum or Three Castles? Roll yer own. However, those f'ers will go out fast too.

summerandjoe
07-14-2009, 09:04 AM
when i was a kid, i was obsessed with wwf. brutus "The barber" beefcake was my homeboy. i watched that religiously and would re-enact the matches with the neighborhood kids. a few of those kids dabbled with cigarrettes and tried to get me to give it a shot. i had to remind them, though, that the ultimate warrior was always watching and would kill us if he found out. they laughed it off like it was something to be taken lightly. the very next night, this came on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebN17xoJbLg

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hydrolix
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
cigarettes are bad for you, but they wouldn't be half as bad if they were just tobacco rolled in paper with a filter.

They reason all us non-smokers should be appalled by legislation like this is that this is merely a pre-cursor to completely outlawing tobacco all together. That's all fine and great except for the part where our government does not possess the right or the power to do such a thing...

Once we all acquiesce to something like the we hand our governing bodies the wholesale power to regulate any/all of our behaviors.

summerandjoe
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
cigarettes are bad for you, but they wouldn't be half as bad if they were just tobacco rolled in paper with a filter.

They reason all us non-smokers should be appalled by legislation like this is that this is merely a pre-cursor to completely outlawing tobacco all together. That's all fine and great except for the part where our government does not possess the right or the power to do such a thing...

Once we all acquiesce to something like the we hand our governing bodies the wholesale power to regulate any/all of our behaviors.

guvurnmint mayk worriur mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmad!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/legshot420/TheUltimateWarrior.gif

ScoobyDooKC
07-19-2009, 12:43 PM
So, uh, anyone got any advice on quitting? Seriously.

Read this thread a few days ago, felt determined to quit afterwards.

That collapsed :oops:

Really, honestly, advice?

WRXNFX
07-19-2009, 01:20 PM

If you are a pack a day, tapper down, 10 a day for a week, 5 a day for a week, a couple a day for a week. 1 a day for a couple weeks, then cold turkey. Then do not buy more. If you bum one after a couple weeks ok, but spread them way out.

cubedweller
07-19-2009, 08:18 PM

If you are a pack a day, tapper down, 10 a day for a week, 5 a day for a week, a couple a day for a week. 1 a day for a couple weeks, then cold turkey. Then do not buy more. If you bum one after a couple weeks ok, but spread them way out.

It's whatever works for you, but if you want to quit -- you're already there.

When I decided I wanted to quit, I went on the patch. And yes, I smoked for three days while on the patch...but I went from 2 packs to LIGHTING 7 cigarettes on the first day. I didn't even smoke the whole things. (Patch regimen: 21mg patch for 2wks, 14 mg patch for 2 wks, 7mg patch for two weeks.)

I didn't even bother with finishing out the 14mg regimen. By that time, I was no longer addicted to smoking AND nicotine, I was just a nicotine addict. Kicking that was easy. The last thing about quitting is not starting again. I refused to clean out the ashtray in my Saturn for three months to discourage me from smoking. It stunk, and I think it worked (since I loved to smoke & drive).

If you want to quit, you can do it. P.s. if you do use the patch, you are going to have the world's most vivid/lucid dreams of your entire life for a couple days.

zero7starz
07-19-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com

I got an electronic cigarette. Tasty flavors, all levels of nicotine (48mg down to none) and I get to keep my motions and "smoke brakes." It works for me, I've barely smoked regular cigarettes at all. Plus, its cheaper in the long run.

cseaman
07-19-2009, 10:04 PM
If you want to quit, you can do it. P.s. if you do use the patch, you are going to have the world's most vivid/lucid dreams of your entire life for a couple days.

Hahha yeah I definitely recommend taking the patch off when you're sleeping. I even had some crazy ass dreams when just taking really short naps. :shock:

DevXTech
07-19-2009, 10:16 PM
When I quit I went cold turkey. Finished the last pack I had and didn't buy anymore. Went to Sam's club and bought a bunch of gum to help get my mind off smoking. Been smoke free since March of 2008. Best advice I can give is when you decide you want to quit carry through with it. No looking back. I smoked one cigarette a year after I quit and all I can say is I'll never go back. The taste, smell, food after smoking, all was a horrible experience. Plus I feel a lot better now than when I did smoke. Only drawback I saw when I quit was I gained weight. :lol:

cubedweller
07-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. Cinnamon sticks. Treat 'em like a cigarette. And, the cinnamon is good for you, and not a bad way to repeal all the years of smoker's breath.

And gaining weight? It happens. But 20-30 lbs is way better than a pack a day.

cify
07-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Cold turkey here, but I always end up smoking again. Was about 6 months out and just bought a pack the other day. I swear working at restaurants makes you smoke. But I found finding a small hobby helped out, for me it was some shooter game. Takes your mind off real life for awhile :) Best of luck to ya!

816lucas
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Cold Turkey. I smoked for ~13 years and just stopped. 4 years ago last month. Didn't take any other habits on or whatever. Just have to want to quit. I even lived with 2 other smokers and hung out with 80% smokers.

matt25sti
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Cold Turkey. I smoked for ~13 years and just stopped. 4 years ago last month. Didn't take any other habits on or whatever. Just have to want to quit. I even lived with 2 other smokers and hung out with 80% smokers.

you need to make your avatar smaller

03to04WRX
07-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I smoke and have had to deal with the FSC, but all is good might drive me to quit cuz they just go out on you anyway..... :x