PDA

View Full Version : GOD BLESS SUBARU!!!!

Legacy
12-25-2009, 05:52 AM
I can be 100% truthful when I say that the capabilities of my Legacy were put to the absolute test tonight, well 4am, on my way home from work. There is no way that I would have been able to get home, including the drive down my street in over a foot of unplowed snow, if it wasn't for the superior ability of Subaru AWD. I honestly did not think I was going to make it, but I just kept the pedal down and it made it right through.

If you dont have to get out, DONT! This is by far the worst snowstorm I have ever seen here, and the roadcrews just cannot keep up.

Merry Christmas everyone...........be safe!

fullerswrx
12-25-2009, 06:29 AM
yes i agree. i went from johnson drive to 138th and metcalf and made it all the way to my garage and got stuck . but i must admit, my gf's family didnt even think i would make it out of the parking lot and i told them i have a subaru :wink: showed them.

scooby2.5
12-25-2009, 11:10 AM
What tires you all running?

WRXNFX
12-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I have Vikings, they have done well.

+1 for Subaru snow powers!!

legacychick
12-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I did not take the Legacy out, but we had fun in my bf's F150. We drove home from South Olathe last night with no problems. Saw a lot of cars stuck out there.

scooby2.5
12-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I stayed out at my parents last night, they live south of oak grove and it was pretty sleety.
My daughter liked kinda being snowed in at grandma's :)

we went out today though, and they have a gravel driveway that is .3 tenths of a mile and really steep.
The wind blew the snow accross and it was at least 8-10" inches deep. My outback xt is lowered about 1.5 inches
so figure it is about 7 inches ground clearance instead of the normal 8.7 on the stock XT.

I have Michelin pilot sport AT tires, Z rated and they do OK. I was able to walk right out although I had some wheel spin and a bit of hop at times when giving it a little too much gas. I personally think autos do better in the snow do to the torque converter slipping some.
With a set of snows, or better all seasons it would have been pretty unbelievable.
It was deep enough that the opening in the lower bumper was picking up snow.

My parents have a 2003 ford explorer that is awd, and also has 4wd high and low.

In awd it walked right out but the Michelin cross terrain tires they have are siped heavy like a snow tire.
I really thing the auto transmission in their explored helps as well.

I've always been really impressed with that 2003 explored in the snow.

If I had some better tires like they do it would have been pretty much the same I am guessing, especially with
the posi-trac type rearend the outback xt has

Legacy
12-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Ive got Eagle GT All Seasons on there now. Love the tires.

BigC
12-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Sorry you had to shovel at some ungodly hour Ryan. I'm sure your neighbors were thrilled too :lol: I'm guessing the snow plow crews are pretty thin given the timing of things. I'm waiting for the snow plows to throw a couple of extra feet at the end of my driveway anytime now, lol.

Hydrolix
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm in columbia atm and there's only about an inch on the ground...Did KC really get hit that bad? I have to come back there sometime this weekend.

pnasmith
12-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I finally got stuck today...

I pulled into Antioch Center to help push a couple who got stuck playing in the snow (the Center's lot has still not been plowed). After getting them unstuck I turned around and went about 150 yards in above-license-plate snow before coming to a halt. About ten minutes of digging and rocking in "Lock" and we were free.

Morale of the story...above-the-plate snow will just plow and bring even the mighty STI to a stand-still.
Still a having a BLAST though :twisted: !

Pete

zero7starz
12-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Well sounds like you all got farther then we did. Lawrence, however, didn't plow SHI!T so we were f*cked before we even got started. See what happened was...

When we got ready to leave and cleaned/heated the car up we got in and started to back out. We got through a snow pile that was up to/over the rear bumper. Got out of the parking spot and got stuck. After digging for almost an hour we got onto the little road of the apartment complex to only find out that nothing else had been plowed either... and it was all snow up to the bumper. The Subaru would have done fine if there had been any kind of plowing done at all, but sadly there hadn't been. Because you see, similar to the LSS YouTube video I watched a few years ago the WRX got out of the parking spot and over the huge snow mound just fine, but we couldn't push the snow and go ourselves afterwords :(
My dad had to bring the Lexus RS430 (or something like that haha) to come get us... with the "Extra Snow Traction" button that we heard about the whooooole way there and the whoooooole way home -_-

Moral of the story? I want a B!G A$$ TRUCK the next time this happens :( or..................

A LIFT KIT FTMFW...

WRXNFX
12-26-2009, 12:10 AM
I have to agree, ice or 5 inches of snow, STi FTW 12 inches of snow, Rodeo!! :)

compro
12-26-2009, 12:15 AM
i love this stuff,
i was getting around no prob, tho i did pack my bumper and fog holes, but it was a rallyific

compro
12-26-2009, 12:16 AM
i love this stuff,
i was getting around no prob, tho i did pack my bumper and fog holes, but it was a rallytastic

zero7starz
12-26-2009, 12:24 AM
If I could have attached a snow plow to the front of the car I would have been in business!

Legacy
12-26-2009, 04:56 AM
Yeah, once you start packing the snow up under the car, and bottoming out, there is not a lot you can do. That is why I was so surprised to make it down the street.

Luckily, I woke up today with my awesome neighbor plowing my driveway off with his snowblower! Thanks Dusty!!!

redwrxhead
12-27-2009, 12:45 AM
i really wish i still had my snow tires :evil: i actually got stuck tonight. granted it was at a resturant in belton. it was an entrace they didnt plow i figured it wasnt that bad. took off through it got all of it but 2 feet til the snow packed under the car and i got hung up. the amazing part is that i have been running falken FK452's 8) still got around decently tho. i also had a little scuffle when i went up to my girlfriends house yesterday. her neighbor actually came out to give me a little push while i backed out of the drift down to her garage. the first thing he said was "Pastrana would not be happy to see this!" that guy made my day :lol:

DanC
12-27-2009, 01:11 AM
The Dunlop WinterSports came through with flying colors (thanks to LSS getting them in and mounted so quickly). Driving on 435 & I-35 to my parent's house I was passing people left and right.

myveryown07
12-27-2009, 05:14 AM
The Dunlop WinterSports came through with flying colors (thanks to LSS getting them in and mounted so quickly). Driving on 435 & I-35 to my parent's house I was passing people left and right.

me too i went through a ditch to go around a guy stuck on the hill right at the entrance of my apartment complex. it was to the hook and the car just pulled through.

snow tires needs to be everybodies mod on here now /thread

DIGA_DELAY
12-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I actually got the wagon stuck on Christmas. Went to a Traget parking lot that hadn't been plowed yet. After I got in I realized it was pretty deep still so I tried to find my way back out. Got to a spot where I had to turn and it high-centered on a drift. Took about a half hour of digging out around the wheels by hand and rocking it back and forth before it finally crawled its way out. It was up past the bottom of the doors on both sides.

I did some rally driving around someone yesterday. :lol: This minivan started slowing down and veering towards a snow mound so I just punched it and drifted around them on the right. I think they were a little freaked out by this.

WRX04KCMO
12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
I actually got the wagon stuck on Christmas. Went to a Traget parking lot that hadn't been plowed yet. After I got in I realized it was pretty deep still so I tried to find my way back out. Got to a spot where I had to turn and it high-centered on a drift. Took about a half hour of digging out around the wheels by hand and rocking it back and forth before it finally crawled its way out. It was up past the bottom of the doors on both sides.

I did some rally driving around someone yesterday. :lol: This minivan started slowing down and veering towards a snow mound so I just punched it and drifted around them on the right. I think they were a little freaked out by this.

I did the same thing at Winnetonka's parking lot :lol:

Legacy
12-31-2009, 05:59 AM

I did the same thing at Winnetonka's parking lot :lol:

A buddy of mine saw a video of an STi pulling a semi (tractor and trailer) out of the snow. Probably a bit harsh, but it did it.

and..........................it was already posted here! http://www.kcsubaru.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19023

WRX04KCMO
12-31-2009, 05:56 PM

me too i went through a ditch to go around a guy stuck on the hill right at the entrance of my apartment complex. it was to the hook and the car just pulled through.

snow tires needs to be everybodies mod on here now /thread

I can't see justifying(sp?) getting snow tires in MO. We just don't get enough snow really. I got around just fine in some All-Seasons. We'll probably won't see snow like this again for another 5 years.

dukenukem
12-31-2009, 06:18 PM
I was blessed with driving a sonata which has by far the worst tires I have ever ha the displeasure of driving. I bet my re-01r would have been better than the garbage that Hyundai puts. That said I didn't crash into a tree and die so its all good I guess. I miss my Sti.

scooby2.5
01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I was out practicing in our neighborhood in the culdesacs. Its pretty awesome sliding the back end around using the e-brake.

I would grab the handle and push the button and hold it in. I would get going pretty good, slightly turn into the culdesac and pull the e-brake with the button held in.

The subie would slide right around, push the e-brake back down all the while holding in the button and take off the other way.

Its amazing what you can do with a cutting brake and if you push the button in on the e-brake you can just go up and down real easy.

My outback, which normally has 8.7 inches of ground clearance has been doing really well with the michelin pilot sport A/S tires, coils and cobb sways on it.

Its lowered about 1.5 inches or so, so the clearance is about 7 inches. It would drag at times in the deep stuff but no problems. The cross member was really packed with snow though.

Its pretty interesting how the back with the posi will spin both tires all the time and the front will too most of the time but will switch back and forth.

They really do get around great, no wonder Tahoe and Denver sell so many of them!

Next year I want to get me a set of silver BBS STI wheels and put my summer tires on them and then put straight snow tires on the stockers.

DanC
01-04-2010, 10:05 AM
I can't see justifying(sp?) getting snow tires in MO. We just don't get enough snow really. I got around just fine in some All-Seasons. We'll probably won't see snow like this again for another 5 years.

Agreed, we don't really need snow tires. The WinterSports aren't really snow tires - TireRack lists them as 'performance winter tires'. They'll be on the car as long as the avg. daily temperature is below, say, 45 or 50.

Crispy
01-04-2010, 10:21 AM
I managed to get home from north of Columbia on Christmas night. The Subaru handled everything flawlessly until we got to Blue Springs and found the road to be covered in a wonderful fine layer of ice. Wouldn't have been too much of an issue but we found this out when topping a hill and finding everyone braking to get in line behind the snow plows running 4-wide to clear I-70. Back end came out a bit, but nothing crazy; did a number on the gf's nerves though.

Finally got to have my fun on the 29th. Was staying near Wichita with some friends and after playing DD for the night out I got my fun around 2am in a couple inches of fresh powder that seemed perfect for sliding. I was amazed at how easy it was to control everything. I could not have asked for more out of the car. And what a great reward it was for staying sober.