PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone!

dukenukem
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Hello all!!

I will be moving from Dallas to Overland Park soon so I figured I would introduce myself and say hello to all the local subie folks!

Here is my car .. 06 STI with Stage 2 tune by AWDTuning.com

http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/8/sti.jpg

http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/8/dukestiky5.jpg

Currently my car is riding on balding RE-01R so I have to get some new tires. Is the winter in Overland Park/ KC area severe enough to warrant winter tires or will decent all-season do the job?

Hope to see you guys around at the local meets.

Take care!

Justin 05 Sti
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Have a safe move / trip, and welcome.

I get around just fine on all seasons in the winter. The snow isn't usually that bad, it just sucks when the ice hits.

matt25sti
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Welcome. I don't think you need winter tires just all seasons. Some crazy guys use Re070's during winter though.

Crispy
11-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Welcome.

Some may disagree but I'd say there's too much time during winters here that you'll be on bare pavement to make winter tires a good investment.

Quick edit - winter tires meaning snow tires, you'll definitely see need for an all-season

timsti
11-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Welcome. I did my first winter in the STi on RE-070s and that didn't work great although I never got stuck or anything, but after that I just switched to some all-seasons and everything has been great. Hope the move goes well.
Tim

Legacy
11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Welcome aboard! Sounds like we will be seeing you soon. Like most others have said, some all seasons will be just fine.

dukenukem
11-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys! I survived couple of Dallas "snow storms"(a.k.a. flurries everywhere else) on RE-01R just fine but I am pretty certain that would not be a wise decision here. I am looking at some Conti Extremecontact DWS or ze-912. LEts see what kind of deal i get on them.

matt25sti
11-06-2009, 01:25 PM
On my WRX I have sumitomo(?) HTR somethings that were 70 bucks a piece that work great.

Grymm
11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
On my WRX I have sumitomo(?) HTR somethings that were 70 bucks a piece that work great.

are those the "summer" tires or the all season ones? :P I ran the summer version for 2 years straight hehe, Just gotta learn how to control the car in snow, never had a problem except on ice.....dang ice.

Welcome mate, I like the ride.

DanC
11-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys! I survived couple of Dallas "snow storms"(a.k.a. flurries everywhere else) on RE-01R just fine but I am pretty certain that would not be a wise decision here. I am looking at some Conti Extremecontact DWS or ze-912. LEts see what kind of deal i get on them.

LOL, I remember when I was stationed at Dyess out in Abilene. One winter morning the morning radio show (the only one in the city) crew was all excited about the overnight snow storm. There was even an announcement for the base that all non-essential personnel were to stay home, etc.

I looked out the window of my barracks room and thought, "Snow storm? What snow storm? There can't be more than an inch and half of snow on the ground." Walked to the lab like I did every other day and sure enough, I was one of three (out of 10) that showed up, and I was there for an hour before the other two showed up.

The next year some freezing rain came through and Abilene just about shut down completely for a couple of days.

The others are right. Some good all-seasons will be just fine for our winters. I'll be putting mine back on the car this weekend.

page2334
11-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Welcome. I don't think you need winter tires just all seasons. Some crazy guys use Re070's during winter though.

yeah i drive on 070's year round

WRXNFX
11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I run summer tires, Direzza star specs.. So since I swap to tires when the is a chance for snow, Thanksgiving - April fools, I basically buy the most wintery tires I can stand. I had some beefy Hancooks, now I have Vikings.

Then I just saw wheel/tire each season summer/winter.

So I guess you need to decide A, do you only want 1 set of wheels. B how bad of grip can you stand when it is not snowing? :)

Just4fuN
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
yeah i drive on 070's year round

^^^ And this is why you don't want to. :lol:

I'm with the other guys, I use two sets of wheels year round. One with summer tires, and one with all-seasons for the winter. Weather around here can be very unpredictable (and notoriously so), so I've already swapped onto all-seasons.

As long as it's a decent set (like not RE-92As), you should get around just fine in the winter without snow tires. I run Eagle F1 A/S.

A lot of guys have mentioned the ice, and it does suck, and there's really not any tire that'll help much on the ice, barring something studded. :lol:

Oh, and welcome!

dukenukem
12-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey guys, got another request.
I need to get new auto and renters insurance before moving. Anyone suggest any decent companies/ agents I can contact to get some rate quotes?

evol
12-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, got another request.
I need to get new auto and renters insurance before moving. Anyone suggest any decent companies/ agents I can contact to get some rate quotes?

I found that GEICO was actually the cheapest for me...but maybe someone else can give you some better local options.

VF34RX
12-03-2009, 01:19 PM
I think it all depends on the agent, but State Farm has treated my family very well for many years.

fullerswrx
12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Ima GEICO man ever since the Corps.

WRXNFX
12-03-2009, 11:48 PM
James Bruce,
Reece & Nichols Insurance.
913 491 8511

he is an independent agent so he can sshop you around and come back with the best company for you.

I would assume he would work with renters.

He is a nice guy, Millie his main assistant is the sheezy. :D

Hydrolix
12-04-2009, 11:37 AM
What Jeff said. I use an independent agent as well. SafeCo has always been the cheapest for me. It will be worth your time to call our board sponsered liberty mutual agent. While a little over she was the closest to my safeco quotes than any other company I've talked to.