PDA

View Full Version : sedan rearend in a wagon

fishawrx
10-16-2009, 04:46 PM
so my diff is probably on it's way out so I'm going to buy Jeff's WRX rearend (w/ lateral links, hubs and axles). My original plan was to just swap out the diffs, but am now considering going wider track in the rear (since I'm getting all the sedan components anyways). The difference b/w front and rear track widths, stock, is about a half inch, iirc. the sedan rear track width is 1" wider than the wagon rear, so basically i would be 1/2" wider in the rear (compared to front) after swapping. I'll get longer studs and put 1/2" spacers up front to even out the stance. I'm almost certain I'll need to roll my fenders just to give the stock 16s" clearance, definitely will have to roll to clear the 17"s. I've also got an 02 sedan rear sway lined up for install sometime soon. Can anyone think of anything else I'm missing for this swap? it seems the rear ends are interchangeable as long as I have the sedan axles to match the longer laterals.

besides the obvious change in stance, the lateral links are tubular on the sedan (1 weak-ass open box rail lateral and 1 tubular lateral on each side of the wagon rear) so this should be a good upgrade along w/ the 02 sedan rear sway which is a lot thicker than the wagon.

WRXNFX
10-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Your sway should fit. IIRC the rears are the same. Getagrip bought mine for his 02 wagon.

fishawrx
10-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Your sway should fit. IIRC the rears are the same. Getagrip bought mine for his 02 wagon.

yeah, the rear sways are interchangeable b/w the sedan and wagon. the sedan (especially the 02) has a much thicker sway bar than the wagon.

WRXNFX
10-16-2009, 06:09 PM

yeah, the rear sways are interchangeable b/w the sedan and wagon. the sedan (especially the 02) has a much thicker sway bar than the wagon.

True.

fishawrx
10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
my main question is: am I overlooking anything before I start swapping out parts?

myveryown07
10-16-2009, 10:36 PM
me and jeff talked about this and it seems to me that you shouldn't have a problem swapping things over

fishawrx
10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
sweet

WRXNFX
10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
So rear end is hin Fisha's garage.

So this is weird, we looked in the rear end, and the gears look great. The weird part, it looks like an open diff. :shock:

What am I missing. it had the ring gear then spider gears, no cool can viscus fluid, nothing at all.

I though the WRX rear had a limited slip diff.

Crispy
10-20-2009, 07:56 AM
So rear end is hin Fisha's garage.

So this is weird, we looked in the rear end, and the gears look great. The weird part, it looks like an open diff. :shock:

What am I missing. it had the ring gear then spider gears, no cool can viscus fluid, nothing at all.

I though the WRX rear had a limited slip diff.

Could be wrong, but I thought the non-STI WRX only had limited slip in the front.

Edit: Guess I'm completely wrong...checked cars101 and it says limited slip in the rear is the standard and front is added in the STI. Sorry about that.

fishawrx
10-20-2009, 05:42 PM
anyone know if the trailing arms are different?

scooby_rex
10-21-2009, 06:26 AM

not as far as Im aware, put STi replicas in the wagon without any fitment issues, but I did also change the lateral links to STis as well though

fishawrx
10-21-2009, 07:57 AM

not as far as Im aware, put STi replicas in the wagon without any fitment issues, but I did also change the lateral links to STis as well though

My thought is that, since I am switching to longer lateral links, the control arms will be angled out slightly more. Not sure if the wagon arms can allow for that in the bushings or if I need to use the sedan control arms. I have the sedan control arms but someone :x rounded off the nut that connects the arm to the hub. I'm going to use my current hubs since they both had the bearings replaced recently. So if I use the sedan control arms, I'm going to have to get creative on that rounded nut.

fishawrx
10-21-2009, 09:48 AM
according to this http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/wag ... ame-15387/ (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f53/wagon-vs-sedan-whats-different-whats-same-15387/) paragraph #8, the trailing links (rear control arms) are the same sedan to wagon. I'm going w/ this until I hear otherwise.

scooby_rex
10-21-2009, 09:48 AM
you're more than welcome to stop by sometime and take a look at my suspension setup if that'll help

As far as your suspension is concerned, the parts are all the same size from what I remember, the biggest difference being the construction and materials used for the different pieces. If I was venturing a guess, the only difference is going to be the length of the axles, although that doesnt make a ton of sense either. The reason I say this is because I didnt run into any issues with fitment at all when I swapped out the suspension.

fishawrx
10-21-2009, 10:03 AM
you're more than welcome to stop by sometime and take a look at my suspension setup if that'll help

As far as your suspension is concerned, the parts are all the same size from what I remember, the biggest difference being the construction and materials used for the different pieces. If I was venturing a guess, the only difference is going to be the length of the axles, although that doesnt make a ton of sense either. The reason I say this is because I didnt run into any issues with fitment at all when I swapped out the suspension.

Thanks, I might have to do that sometime.

The axles and both lateral links are longer, but it seems you can still use the wagon axles. The wagon v. sedan axles also have a different part number iirc. I'm just going to swap all but the control arms since I've got the parts handy. I'm already running sedan rear struts, once I get the 02 sedan sway, I'll have a complete sedan rearend.

scooby_rex
10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
The axles and both lateral links are longer, but it seems you can still use the wagon axles.

yep they will for sure work ;)

do you have end links, too? I had to replace mine because the sway jumped and ended up wrapping the endlinks around the lateral link turning them into a C instead of an I :oops:

WRXNFX
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
I have the sedan control arms but someone :x rounded off the nut that connects the arm to the hub.

Boo hoo... :lol:

fishawrx
10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
The axles and both lateral links are longer, but it seems you can still use the wagon axles.

yep they will for sure work ;)

do you have end links, too? I had to replace mine because the sway jumped and ended up wrapping the endlinks around the lateral link turning them into a C instead of an I :oops:

Your sway "jumped"? It broke loose and bent your endlink?

I don't have new endlinks yet, but I don't have the upgraded sway bar yet either.

scooby_rex
10-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Your sway "jumped"? It broke loose and bent your endlink?

I don't have new endlinks yet, but I don't have the upgraded sway bar yet either.

at some point when I was installing my new struts and springs the sway flipped and ended up being on the wrong side of the lateral links which just bent the little endlinks up (they were STi endlinks). If I would have been paying better attention I would have seen them binding and would have fixed it without having to buy new parts. I got kartboys so in the end it worked out for the better ;)

if you're using wrx sedan sways I think it wont be an issue because IIRC the wagon and sedan both use the "C" end links not the o--o that the STi uses

fishawrx
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
yeah, they are the c-shaped endlinks. just did some more research, the 02 sedan and wagon have the same endlinks, eventhough the 02 sedan has a 20mm sway in the rear, the wagon a 17mm sway. so I should be fine retaining the endlinks that I already have.

fishawrx
10-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Josh, do you have the sedan front end swap as well, or just the rear.

scooby_rex
10-29-2009, 06:49 AM
Josh, do you have the sedan front end swap as well, or just the rear.

just the rear for the major stuff, just have STi struts and springs in the front and I think a sedan sway and noltec end links

fishawrx
10-29-2009, 07:43 AM
sedan sway in the front? I thought you couldn't use a sedan sway up front until you pretty much swapped for a sedan front end control arms

scooby_rex
10-29-2009, 09:49 AM
sedan sway in the front? I thought you couldn't use a sedan sway up front until you pretty much swapped for a sedan front end control arms

I could be mistaken, I dont remember for sure it was too long ago and too many sleepless nights ago LOL

fishawrx
10-29-2009, 10:41 AM
i know that there are wagon specifc front sways and struts due to the wagon having a narrower track width than the sedan and completely differnt endlinks for the front sway iirc. I need to get a sedan front end now... but until then, I'm going to go w/ some longer wheel studs and run either 1/2" or 3/4" spacers in the front to even out the stance.