PDA

View Full Version : Horribly Cupped Tires make me sad

Darksabre
10-13-2009, 05:39 PM
So this is the second set of tires that I've owned, and both have cupped horrribly. My recent set of all seasons, some Avon 550's (or something like that), cupped around 15k miles. They still have a TON of tread left, but the noise above 45 is deafening (really...I put earplugs in if I know I'm goin on the highway :x).

So I guess my first question is, how often does one have to rotate tires on our AWD cars? I was thinking around 6k-8k, but that didn't work out for me at all. The service tech at olathe subaru told me that the first set cupped because they were cheap tires. Okay. Fine. The Avons weren't top-notch, but they also weren't crappy cheap tires. Same thing happened to these...

Now my quest continues for a high-performance all-season tire that doesn't cup instantly. Is the only way to stop cuppage to rotate the tires like every 3k miles no matter what tire you get? How often do all of you rotate your tires (the ones that don't see any cupping).

Any suggestions on good all-seasons that aren't stupid loud and don't cup as soon as they touch the asphalt? :|

I was looking at the Goodyear Eagle GT since it'd be about 400 bucks for 4 with a 70 dollar rebate. Does anyone know if you can get the rebate no matter where you shop? I'm trying to avoid crazy shipping costs, so a local shop would be nice. Any suggestions on good tire shops?

Questions, questions...

Thanks!
-Aaron

slowagon
10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
tire rotation and regular alignments will help- align every 12-15k and rotate every 6k unless youve got some craxy alignment settings then id go every 3k or be like me and just burn the rears off :D

Darksabre
10-13-2009, 06:05 PM
hmm alright. i did get alighned at the beginning of the summer. it was pretty off apparently, so that could have contributed to the overall problem.

DanC
10-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I had a set of Avons too & they did get LOUD, but mine weren't cupped. I think it might be something about Avons since no other tire I've had has been as loud as they were. My current all-seasons are Continental ContiExtremes. They're a little noisy but not too bad.

Darksabre
10-14-2009, 12:35 AM
that is good to know. it might be a big coincidence... i just figured that two tire sets getting really loud is a sign of a common problem. i think that they are cupped...i can kinda feel it if i run my hand along the inside of the tire...like little dips in the tire as it goes around.

Just4fuN
10-14-2009, 04:20 AM
I have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S that cupped really quickly with lots of tread left and annoy the piss out of me on the highway. It really depends on the tire compound and alignment set-up. The Eagle F1s cupped on me with a standard alignment (on stock suspension). The Goodyear fellows say it's because it's such a soft tire (low treadwear rating) that they need to be rotated every 3k. The Eagle F1s certainly don't fall into the "cheap" tire category, either.

scooby_rex
10-14-2009, 06:28 AM
cupping that soon seems weird to me, I had a set of michelin mxh4 (or something like that) on my bugeye and drove them 40k without any major issues. I didnt have any weird wear until I had springs installed and didnt get an alignment. I've got another set of those same tires on my wagon and havnet seen anything that abnormal yet. Like people have already said, having a good alignment is probably more important than the tire types and making sure you get the print-out will also help.

Hydrolix
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Falken makes a great all season tire! I'm running ziex 329s that I got at Big O down in gardner. I think that is an exclusive number to them but they look exactly like the ziex 550s or whatever the common set for them is.

Cupping could be a strut problem. That happens when your suspension is so loose that the tires are "bouncing" as you drive.

I have aggressive camber in the front for autoX...didn't rotate enough and as such the inside inch on two of my current summer tires is nearly bald...that makes for noise too.

Darksabre
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for all the input :)

I know I drove on these tires for at least 10k without any kind of alignment. The car was totally stock and I didn't know when the last alignment was done. I guess that was an error on my part to assume it was still okay. I was new to the cars, but I should have known better. I just took the olathe subaru techs word for it (oops) when he said they were cheap tires and that's why they cupped.

Alright, now that we've got that part out of the way, I should start my quest for a good all-season tire. I don't need anything with crazy good traction, so a longer lasting treadwear tire would be preferable.

Crispy
10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
I've been running the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S for a couple months now and have been happy with them. Good enough on dry stuff, great on the wet, and looking forward to seeing how they do in the snow. But way too new to report on how they hold up.

Tirerack ratings (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S)

Darksabre
10-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the post and the link :)

They look like a good tire actually. Wonder if anyone else on here has used em??

WRX04KCMO
10-17-2009, 02:44 AM
I've been running the Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S for a couple months now and have been happy with them. Good enough on dry stuff, great on the wet, and looking forward to seeing how they do in the snow. But way too new to report on how they hold up.

Tirerack ratings (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S)

I have the Pirelli P Zero's on my 18's that I've used for 2 summers now. They seem to hold up real nice, even though they were basically at the wear indicators last summer. Now on my 17's I have the Bridgestone Potenza 960 A/S Pole Position. They've been awesome, and have a 40000 mile warranty on them, which you don't find in most high performance tires.

Kilby33
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I just bought the goodyear eagle gts from tire rack about 104 each + shipping. I called around 12 places average price between $150 - $170 local just wasn't an option for me. Tire rack was the cheapest I found 8)