PDA

View Full Version : Non repairable tire - replace all four get one shaved?

MO_sisu
11-11-2013, 07:31 PM
So I found a nail in my tire this morning and I think it's not repairable due to proximity to the sidewall. Since the temps are dropping I threw on the Blizzaks. So what to do?

My tired have a little over 6/32" left on the tread. The are OEM Dunlops. Would you
a) get a new Dunlop and have it shaved
b) replace all four w/ all season now (DWS or Pilot Sport AS3)
c) replace all four in the spring with a new set of ultra/max performance summers

SUPAsoobie
11-11-2013, 07:34 PM
How close we talking to the sidewall? if its not extremely close i might just throw a plug in it, put it on the rear and hope for the best!

MO_sisu
11-11-2013, 07:54 PM
About an inch. Basically I'm not going to run them right now anyway because of temps. I've got some time to make a decision assuming it's not repairable. Will find out for sure tomorrow.

dukenukem
11-11-2013, 08:09 PM
You can probably hunt for a used tire on CL or one of the many used tire shops and hope you find one that will work.

I got a hole in one of my Star Specs but mine have worn down to 3/10th so most likely I will end up buying a new set in spring.

musicman66
11-11-2013, 08:38 PM
I've got a patch in my stock Dunlops right on the sidewall and they've been holding fine for over two years.

timsti
11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
"C"

SUPAsoobie
11-12-2013, 12:17 PM
i say if its about an inch from the side wall i would def just patch it up for now. unless you could find a used one. such a waste to shave a new tire down

MO_sisu
11-13-2013, 08:50 PM
So it's non repairable. :( i'm going to keep an eye out for a used tire otherwise i'm probably going with a new set. at least time is on my side!

Legacy
11-15-2013, 08:31 PM
With the amount of time and money it will cost to buy a new tire and have it shaved, you could buy a whole new set for not too much more. Seems like a waste to shave tread off of a perfectly good tire.