PDA

View Full Version : First oil change coming up

jordan0day
09-16-2013, 11:43 PM
I've got about 2400 miles on my 2013 WRX, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinions (or even better, actual expertise!) on oil and filters? Some of the other forums out there recommend the subaru-branded stuff and subaru OEM filters, but I really don't know if it makes a difference, compared to other synthetics and filters?

05kcWRX
09-17-2013, 01:49 PM
if you bought it from a dealership then, they should at least do the first change for free, or if you signed up for a plan then maybe they give several free. When it comes to my WRX I change engine oil every 3750 miles. I use Fram Tough Guard filters, and 5W30 synblend from Castrol. There are a lot better filters, and there are a lot worse filters. Oil to me is Oil, but the Gentleman who had my WRX was the Original owner didn't use synthetic oil so i continued with non synthetic, but i'm kind of leaning toward going that way here soon. Some will argue that's not good enough and only use OEM or More expensive brands of filters and oils b/c they offer the best protection. but what it will come down to is making sure you check the dipstick regularly and not let it run down on oil regardless who does the oil change. I check mine weekly it's out of habit for me.

dukenukem
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
IF you are going to take it to a dealership then let them use OEM stuff. If you plan to change the oil yourself then you can buy subaru oem filter or get a Purolator gold/ Napa premium or Wix one. They are all decent filters.

As far as oil goes, take your pick as to which brand you like the most/ is on sale.

Justin 05 Sti
09-17-2013, 03:24 PM
I would put more miles on it with conventional oil before switching to a synthetic oil. If / when you do switch to synthetic, if you plan to do extended drain intervals, I would recommend getting the oil analyzed regularly.

I use Purolator PureONE oil filters.

Also if you'll be changing it yourself, get some of the crush washers for the drain plug. Or install a fumoto drain valve.

05kcWRX
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I'll have to check into the fumoto drain valve.

kcwrxfan
09-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Justin the new ones has synthetic from the start. where did you buy your WRX at? every dealer does oil changes it seems for the first 2 years for free. I just use OEM subi filter/oil

Kilby33
09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
I change mine myself I use Rotella T6 synthetic and oem filter and crush washer.

I have been thinking about that drain plug as well. Also Greddy makes a nice replacement plug with a better magnet and I belive a washer you never have to replace.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Greddy-Magdrain-Magnetic-Oil-Drain-Plug-M20-x-1-5-Subaru

Justin 05 Sti
09-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Justin the new ones has synthetic from the start.

I was not aware. In that case, no need to wait I guess.

NachO_SRT
09-18-2013, 06:17 AM
I was not aware. In that case, no need to wait I guess.

I swapped the OEM oil for some Brad Penn break-in oil just after my first Pro-tune (~40 miles on the ODO) - I wanted to make sure that at least for the first 500 miles the oil had plenty of Zink in it to ensure a good rockwell rating for the contact surfaces in the oil stream.

After the BP I switched to Rotella T6, to this date, I still do not lose any oil in a 3k oil change cycle if I do not drive it "hard" - your Hard driving and mine are different unless your Page...then we are the same, mostly.

I use the OEM filters as I got a deal on 12 of them + crush washers off amazon.

jordan0day
09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
IF you are going to take it to a dealership then let them use OEM stuff. If you plan to change the oil yourself then you can buy subaru oem filter or get a Purolator gold/ Napa premium or Wix one. They are all decent filters.

As far as oil goes, take your pick as to which brand you like the most/ is on sale.

Yeah, I can get a free oil change (the first one's free, at least) at the dealership, but I got the car at Van Subaru up north of the river and I live in OP... I could be done with the oil change at home in the time it would take me to drive up there.

dukenukem
09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I can get a free oil change (the first one's free, at least) at the dealership, but I got the car at Van Subaru up north of the river and I live in OP... I could be done with the oil change at home in the time it would take me to drive up there.

I would head down to Walmart and get some T6 5W40 and the oil filter of your choice and knock it out yourself!

ElScooby
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
I would head down to Walmart and get some T6 5W40 and the oil filter of your choice and knock it out yourself!

This is my routine as well for the oil at least. they don't carry the filter fit the M3.

cubedweller
09-25-2013, 10:22 PM
I drain the oil and replace the filter every 3750 miles. Purolator PureOne + Rotella T6 (5w-40)

Check your oil every two fill ups, if not sooner.

stinole
09-29-2013, 10:08 PM
+1 on Purolator PureOnes or Napa Golds. Fram filters are shit--literally made out of cardboard.