PDA

View Full Version : had some oil smoke today.

compro
10-04-2009, 11:40 PM
so i start my car and as im walking out to it, I see alot of smoke i mean it was engulfed like i was doing a burnout.

i get up to it and its oil. im just huffing it, i pop the hood and i see smoke from the turbo area.

i ran back in to buy a flash light and come back out its stopped. i restart no smoke.

i have a friend follow me home. nothing. i smell it several times and re-inspect at home nothing obvious.

this is interesting and worrisome. i have never seen anything like this. the closest thing is old gm cars that had leaky valve guides. that would huff a bit on starting or after idling.

if someone else has seen this first hand and has a heads up. that would be cool.

im going to check it out better tomorrow.

TunedAlready02
10-05-2009, 12:05 AM
ill give you $100 for it.

good to see you made your monthly visit to the site.

Just4fuN
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Is it only happening on cold-starts? If something's leaking, couldn't it possibly stop once the engine heats up and all of the connections expand together?

WRXNFX
10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Is it only happening on cold-starts? If something's leaking, couldn't it possibly stop once the engine heats up and all of the connections expand together?

Is there oil on the turbo?

I saw a WRX at auto X once that was spraying oil out of the oil feed lines. Like Jam says it might have warmed up and snugged up? I was one of the coldest mornings we have had, did you drive it yesterday?

compro
10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
i was a warm start, i had just got back from driving down town and ran into wally world for some last minute missing ingredients. it wasn't any colder out then it has been lately,

on inspection there was no external oil leaks found, other then a previously noted residue around the pcv block.
it has not repeated and i haven't seen any other issues.

but im watching it very closely now,

fishawrx
10-07-2009, 09:52 PM
My guess would be valve guides. my Honda passport and my Integra would do that once or twice a year on cold start up, but that is weird that it did it when it was already warmed up.

compro
10-07-2009, 11:54 PM
ya i had drivien all over, and had ran into wally world, for maybe 15 mins,

fired it up as i walked out the doors, and before i could make it out there it was a smoke screen.

well nothing out of ordinary yet and it hasnt happened again. (that i know of) im calling a fluke.

compro
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
it happened again. this time not as bad, wtf.

my plan is let ti go till its bad enough i give a damn. lol (evil owner)

compro
11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
pulled the turbo off, the intake turbine has lots of movement and is hitting the housing,

so im on the market for a new turbo, i would like to take this chance to upgrade it.

i see the 39 for sale, im also considering the deadbolt monster td04, im looking around for info,

anyone have any advice or anyhting feel free to link pm or whatever, i would like to get this done quick and be back on the road for less then 1000, (small checking account, :P)