PDA

View Full Version : Swap HID Legacy lights in my 2.5i SE?

DWCook
07-20-2013, 10:00 PM
As everyone knows this model does not come with HID's. I was curious if it would be possible to just swap them without doing any major changes?

muajg
07-24-2013, 11:39 AM
I think you have to put some sort of box (ballast?) in, I'm not sure, I know on www.legacygt.com it has been discussed.

cubedweller
07-24-2013, 07:37 PM
If your car didn't come with HIDs, there are two routes: Retrofit, and Aftermarket

Retrofitting would involve the removal of your existing H7 projectors from the factory headlight housing and the painstaking retrofitting of (likely) a D2S bulb in an HID-designated projector. Additionally, you'd need to wire the ballasts, preferably with a relay to the power source. Cost is typically north of $400 and requires several hours of labor.

Aftermarket involves much less cost and labor, but with significantly diminished returns. This normally involves the wiring of ballasts in the same configuration as above, but with the insertion of a modified Xenon bulb into the existing H7 projector assembly. If taking this route, it is HIGHLY advised to not use the cheap "slim" ballasts which are so often peddled; the thicker "old school" ballasts are usually of higher quality.

While I considered a retrofit at one point, I ended up installing an aftermarket kit (H7, 35W, 4300k). While not as sharp a cutoff as OEM HID, I am reasonably pleased with mine. If going this route, make sure that you readjust the aim of your headlights appropriately as even the halogen projector allows for some diffusion above the cutoff. If done properly, you won't look like one of the cars that blinds oncoming traffic. Also, stay below 6000k for best light output...the bluer the light, the poorer the vision (and the more strain on your eyes).