PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug Dilemma!

05kcWRX
04-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Everyone looking at replacing the old plugs and was wondering if everyone could pitch their $.02 in on this one with personal experience. Ive done some reading on NASIOC, but wasn't for sure whether the next step colder will help me much, considering i'm running the dd setup and don't want it running awkwardly when idling. Here is a list from NASIOC just wondering what everyone else is using and their luck with that plug. All help is appreciated.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518633

NGK/Copper/BKR6ES/WRX/stock
NGK/Copper/BKR7ES/WRX/one step colder
NGK/Copper/BKR6E/WRX/stock
NGK/Copper/BKR7E/WRX/one step colder
NGK/Platinum/BKR6EGP/WRX/stock
NGK/Platinum/BKR7EGP/WRX/one step colder
NGK/Platinum/PFR6G/WRX/stock <----OEM plug
NGK/Platinum/PFR7G/WRX/one step colder
NGK/Iridium/BKR6EIX/WRX/stock
NGK/Iridium/BKR7EIX/WRX/one step colder

Kilby33
04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I replaced mine with the OEM plugs. I don't see a reason for you to go with one step colder but that's just my opinion.

Hydrolix
04-18-2013, 03:03 PM
Go with the stock ones. The'll be perfectly fine.

timsti
04-18-2013, 09:12 PM
NGK/Iridium/BKR6EIX/WRX/stock

05kcWRX
05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
So i bought those plugs from Autozone and they were pretty reasonable @ 6.99 a piece. Here's the problem, the guy helping me asked what GAP i was needing and I told him about .30 is what i've read on forums. But when the guy at the desk told me was the BKR6EIX plugs are gapped @ .44 ?????? I kind of went blank for a second thinking i thought they were gapped @ .30 in which he replied thats an awfully small gap. So now i'm really confused do i want to run those plugs with that much gap or was i misinformed about the .30 gap????

Scooby24
05-17-2013, 08:35 AM
You need a smaller gap for a turbo car so while that plug is universally used on many cars and is gapped .044 for most applications, a turbo application requires less gap.

Quoted from NGK's website:

Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability
in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.

05kcWRX
05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Well i guess i need to return those and figure out which ones will have the desired gap for my WRX and suggestions will help tremendously i know i want to stay with ngk and im pretty sure the iridium's will last longer but experience is always welcome with me.

Scooby24
05-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Don't return them, just reduce the gap.

To reduce the gap just tap the end of the plug on a flat surface and then extend gap back out to what it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk70oyUEftY

05kcWRX
05-17-2013, 09:15 AM
Still have the owner's manual just check to make sure what the proper gap is and i'll be buying a gap tool to do this myself, thanks Greg.

Scooby24
05-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Are you modded? If so, gap just a bit smaller. If stock is .030 maybe try .028 or .025

05kcWRX
05-17-2013, 09:55 AM
stock now but dp, mid pipe, and up pipe here soon. probably before summer ends.

Scooby24
05-17-2013, 10:00 AM
I'd just keep stock gap then.

05kcWRX
05-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Come to find out the gentleman gave me the larger gapped ones by mistake. went back curious as why the big difference between .044" & .032" so i am going with the brk6eix part # 6418 instead of #3764 which has the gapped distance of .032" and with a tool i should be able to get it gapped at .03" with the wire gap tool. Steve at Olathe autozone used to race SCCA back in the day when it was Solo 1 and Solo 2 so big shout out to Steve as well for all his knowledge and help.

muajg
05-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Make sure to get a tune after you get your DP, UP and exhaust. Otherwise your spark plug gap will the be the least of your concerns.

05kcWRX
06-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Make sure to get a tune after you get your DP, UP and exhaust. Otherwise your spark plug gap will the be the least of your concerns.

when i get that far i will definitely tune before it gets driven. Installed the BKR6EIX ngk plugs gapped @ .030 now i did some research about iridium and your not supposed to gap them unfortunately i read that after they were installed. So we'll see how long those last before a new set of ungapped plugs go in. 500 miles seems to be a common number before you notice if the tip has been damaged.

W(hite)RX
06-17-2013, 02:00 PM
when i get that far i will definitely tune before it gets driven. Installed the BKR6EIX ngk plugs gapped @ .030 now i did some research about iridium and your not supposed to gap them unfortunately i read that after they were installed. So we'll see how long those last before a new set of ungapped plugs go in. 500 miles seems to be a common number before you notice if the tip has been damaged.

Saw the thread and came here to say this. I am running stock heat range NGK iridiums and did not gap since you will damage the fine iridium tip if you do. Car runs just fine aside from when my stupid coil pack sensors come loose due to me losing the clips :(

05kcWRX
06-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Saw the thread and came here to say this. I am running stock heat range NGK iridiums and did not gap since you will damage the fine iridium tip if you do. Car runs just fine aside from when my stupid coil pack sensors come loose due to me losing the clips :(

So far so good haven't had a problem with them yet and it'\s been over 1,000 miles however i did have a check engine light come on which was just a catalyst code. Turned out to be nothing just a faulty trip.

mark342
06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Old thread, but it's fine to gap iridium plugs as long as you avoid touching the tip. Pretty easy to do with that gapping tool shown in that video a page back (don't do it with the coin tool). Really simple to close the gap as well if necessary. They just tell people not to do it because most will gap them with the coin tool and ruin them.

I originally ran the plugs without adjusting the gap, but there were some engine hesitation issues under high load that were solved once I put the gap down to .028 or so. It did run fine before jumping up to e85. Just something to keep in mind down the road if the issue ever comes up.

05kcWRX
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I put the gap down to .028 or so. It did run fine before jumping up to e85. Just something to keep in mind down the road if the issue ever comes up.

I'll keep this in mind when i do start to get a little bit heavier into modding the car, not sure if the .028 will make a difference but i'm sure we'll see.

05kcWRX
08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Every couple thousand miles i am starting to get a P0420 code starting to wonder if gapping was a good idea or not. Curious if anyone else has had the same code come up without working on their plugs.

Justin 05 Sti
08-05-2013, 04:15 PM
P0420 is an O2 sensor "catalyst efficiency" code. I would guess it's unrelated to your spark plug gap.

05kcWRX
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I've also seen catalytic converters that are becoming clogged as a culprit for these as well. If thats the case i guess the catless dp and mid pipe could get installed and a stage 2 tune. It would be cheaper than replacing that cat.