PDA

View Full Version : removing a steering wheel

fishawrx
09-22-2009, 06:30 PM
anyone know how or have a link?

scooby_rex
09-23-2009, 06:47 AM
what do you need to do? remove the entire steering assembly or literally take off the steering wheel? If its the entire steering column, it's really pretty easy, just undo the linkage a couple supports then it all slides

fishawrx
09-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Just the wheel if I can, although I'm getting the whole column and all.

scooby_rex
09-23-2009, 09:16 AM
if you've got the manual it shouldnt be too hard, no experience myself with just the wheel

WRXNFX
09-23-2009, 12:35 PM
if you've got the manual it shouldnt be too hard, no experience myself with just the wheel

The manual?

fishawrx
09-23-2009, 02:03 PM
i'm assuming the subaru service manual pdf

I have the chassis manual, but it's not in there.

WRXNFX
09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
They sat loosen the nut and pull, buuuuttttt. :roll:

Tried that.. Might have to bolt it to something and pull it...

http://www.scoobymods.com/wrx_steering_wheel_impreza-t127.html?t=127&highlight=airbag

fishawrx
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM

http://www.scoobymods.com/wrx_steering_wheel_impreza-t127.html?t=127&highlight=airbag

I say tug of war b/w the sti and the wagon w/ the steering assembly for the rope :twisted:

WRXNFX
09-23-2009, 03:43 PM

I say tug of war b/w the sti and the wagon w/ the steering assembly for the rope :twisted:

umm, no. :lol:

We may just have to bolt/chain it to the wreck and start yanking on it.

fishawrx
09-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Got the donor wheel off the column and on to my car. A little disappointed that the airbags don't match up. The yellow plugs on the back are different. So I now have an 04 steering wheel (identical to the 02 as far as I can see) w/ an 02 airbag. The 04 donor has a carbon fiber badge w/ red instead of my current black badge w/ yellow. I might just have to swap badges.

WRXNFX
09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Got the donor wheel off the column and on to my car. A little disappointed that the airbags don't match up. The yellow plugs on the back are different. So I now have an 04 steering wheel (identical to the 02 as far as I can see) w/ an 02 airbag. The 04 donor has a carbon fiber badge w/ red instead of my current black badge w/ yellow. I might just have to swap badges.

That is odd, could you swap the clock springs?

fishawrx
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Not sure i really want to mess w/ airbags too much. the wiring harness is different. I'll probably just swap badgs and call it good. i have actually discovered that while I thought I had the wheel on straight, turns out it's 1 or 2 teeth of to the right. So I'll probably pop the wheel loose and reallign it straight this week.