PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires or All seasons

TTUWRX
12-17-2012, 04:16 AM
I have a 2012 wrx with 3k miles on it with stock summer tires. I'm driving out to Vail, Colorado in January. I'm thinking about buying a winter wheels/tires from someone on here or just putting all seasons on my stock rims. How would winter tires be driving all the way to Colorado if the roads are dry? I havent lived in KC very long but if i did put winter tires on could i just drive around KC all winter with them on?Opinions?

Hydrolix
12-17-2012, 10:29 AM
driving on dry with winter tires is fine. I'm doing it in my car right now.

soro
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I'm doing the same as Hyrolix.

I have a set of used 18's Continental ExtremeContact DWS that has about 10k miles on them, if you wanted a set of all season tires.

VF34RX
12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Winter tires are a must for places like Colorado. I drove on mine over 2 years straight without a single issue.

TTUWRX
12-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I bought a set of all seasons today. I moved here from Denver in march and I ran all seasons out there on a fwd car with no problems. Thanks for the advice.

rjnolen
12-19-2012, 07:07 PM
i run conti dws extreme contacts now. that said i did have a set of blizzaks (ive since sold) mounted that i kept for ski trips and particularly snowy winters.

if you have the cash, get a set of blizzaks mounted on winter beater wheels you wont be sorry when and if you actually need them. otherwise just get a good set of all seasons like the continental dws for the winter

my 2 cents worth

DanC
12-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Do you suppose it's too late to switch from the Hankook V12s to the WinterSports? :p

Hydrolix
12-20-2012, 01:50 PM
today I cruised around a lot already. My Hankook Icepts were absolutely amazing! No slipping unless I wanted them to :D.

ElScooby
12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I drove the Honda today on my cheap all seasons and was totally fine. However I did seem to sell my Forester about 4 days too soon :D

DanC
12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
I swapped to the WinterSports this morning (might as well, nobody was in the office) and had no issues. Well, almost no issues. I forgot that I was on winter tires & tried to use the same braking point at a stop light that I use with the 'Kooks - just about slid into the intersection. Thankfully, it's a residential stop so there was only one car to worry about and they (poor FWD suckers) were having trouble getting going.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2012 wrx with 3k miles on it with stock summer tires. I'm driving out to Vail, Colorado in January. I'm thinking about buying a winter wheels/tires from someone on here or just putting all seasons on my stock rims. How would winter tires be driving all the way to Colorado if the roads are dry? I havent lived in KC very long but if i did put winter tires on could i just drive around KC all winter with them on?Opinions?

As long as it's not very warm (and that definition varies by tire make/model) you should be fine. I wait until the average high temperature is 50 or lower to put my WinterSports on the car, and put the summers back on when it's above 50.