PDA

View Full Version : Increase Gas Mileage?

Butch
09-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I got my first subaru, a 2000 Legacy Outback, w/138,000 miles. How do I increase my gas mileage - I'm used to a Honda Civic Wagon? Hope there are some aftermarket tips that really work.

Make it a Blessed Day,
Butch

WRXNFX
09-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Intake and exhause should help. When was the last time you had gear oil, air filter and or spark plugs changed?

pnasmith
09-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Weight reduction; rotating (pulleys, propeller shaft etc), sprung (body and interior) and un-sprung (wheels/tires and rotors).

BTW, welcome.

Pete

WRXNFX
09-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Weight reduction; rotating (pulleys, propeller shaft etc), sprung (body and interior) and un-sprung (wheels/tires and rotors).

BTW, welcome.

Pete

What is with you and propeller shafts? Did you used to work for Chriscraft? :lol:

pnasmith
09-19-2009, 09:52 PM
LOL :lol: ! And all this time I thought it was a DRIVE shaft! What will those wacky guys at FHI think of (or rename) next?

Pete

WRXNFX
09-19-2009, 10:26 PM
LOL :lol: ! And all this time I thought it was a DRIVE shaft! What will those wacky guys at FHI think of (or rename) next?

Pete

Around here we call them half shafts.. :)

Just4fuN
09-19-2009, 10:29 PM

Pete

I call it a doodlebug shaft.

pnasmith
09-19-2009, 11:13 PM

Pete

I tend to call 'em a PITA when the go 'crunch' :D
I never understood using proprietary terms for common items.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt107/pnasmith/propellershaft.jpg

I think we thread-jacked Butch :oops:

Pete

WRXNFX
09-19-2009, 11:19 PM

I tend to call 'em a PITA when the go 'crunch' :D
I never understood using proprietary terms for common items.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt107/pnasmith/propellershaft.jpg

I think we thread-jacked Butch :oops:

Pete

So you had a strut clunk and they replace the drive shaft from the tranny to the rear diff?

pnasmith
09-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Yeah, right? Made no sense to me either. But, hey, it was warranty work so...new 'whatever' shaft for me.
I've since found out struts are considered 'wear items' and would not be covered anyway. So, looks like I'll be picking your brain about suspension sooner rather than later (the clunk is driving me NUTS).
No coil-overs or severe drop, prob something along the lines of 'pinks', at least that's the the stance I'm lookin' for. My questions are about struts, bars and 'thane. I'll start a thread in the appropriate spot in the near future.

Pete

Butch
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I have changed oil, air filter, fuel filter - have not changed gear oil (any particular brand recommended)?

You mentioned intake & exhaust for better gas mileage - are you talking a complete change of intake & exhaust manifolds?

I do have an engine light on. Mechanic friend of mine read the code, P1200 I believe, said it had something to do with fuel - that's when I changed the air filter, fuel filter, & cleaned the throttle linkage.

All the other posts about half shafts, etc. lost me.

Thanks for your help,

Butch

WRXNFX
09-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I have changed oil, air filter, fuel filter - have not changed gear oil (any particular brand recommended)?

You mentioned intake & exhaust for better gas mileage - are you talking a complete change of intake & exhaust manifolds?

I do have an engine light on. Mechanic friend of mine read the code, P1200 I believe, said it had something to do with fuel - that's when I changed the air filter, fuel filter, & cleaned the throttle linkage.

All the other posts about half shafts, etc. lost me.

Thanks for your help,

Butch

Yes I would be talking an intake and at least a cat back. Is you cat back al rusty? might me a better excuse. :)

Can't find P1200, but you should probably get it fixed first.

pnasmith
09-20-2009, 05:34 PM
You mentioned intake & exhaust for better gas mileage - are you talking a complete change of intake & exhaust manifolds?Butch

No, not the manifolds, just a cold air intake kit and cat back exhaust as Jeff mentioned.

All the other posts about half shafts, etc. lost me.Butch

Yeah, that was kind of a side-bar about my car...sorry about that :D .

I'm not sure about diff fluid, I'll leave that for someone else (with more experience) to answer.

Pete

WRXNFX
09-20-2009, 08:19 PM
All the other posts about half shafts, etc. lost me.Butch

Yeah, that was kind of a side-bar about my car...sorry about that :D .

I'm not sure about diff fluid, I'll leave that for someone else (with more experience) to answer.

Pete[/quote]

yes, that was a "thread Jack" or "Thread Jacking"

We took a tangent subject to far. We are sorry.

But now you know the main drive shaft is called the propeller shaft and the other 4 are "half shafts

:)

pnasmith
09-20-2009, 10:08 PM
And knowing is half the battle!
Sorry, couldn't help it.

Pete

Hydrolix
09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
To get back on track you can have your car tuned for mileage if you want. If you get a turbo back exhaust and tune for power you will get a bit better gas mileage as a bonus...which is what most do around here. But, like I said, tuning for fuel econ is definitely possible.

Butch
09-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Where do I find info. on the turbo exhaust? Thanks for your help.

Butch

Justin 05 Sti
09-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Tying this to your other thread, if your O2 sensor is bad it will affect mileage.

Hydrolix
09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Where do I find info. on the turbo exhaust? Thanks for your help.

Butch

people are constantly selling parts on this and other sites. You can also look for new. I have one from Cobb that is aweome.